Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • WTF have I done to my finger?
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Pulled my trousers on, put my hand in my pocket to straighten it out, middle finger on right hand goes crack, now look!

It’ll push back ok, but the moment I bend it, it goes back like that.

Nomad
    Free Member

Looks like you might have snapped a tendon

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Either snapped the tendon or the bit of bone that holds the tendon that holds your finger straight, fracture clinic awaits along with 6 weeks in a little plastic splint for your finger. Guy at work did this, finger still isnt right but its now straight!

crikey
    Free Member

Look up mallet finger.

wwaswas

mallet finger

sounds like a rather drastic solution…

natrix
    Free Member

Hmmm, looks like cat aids to me

bigyinn
    Free Member

Good or bad cat aids?
    Just got a new cat 4 weeks ago, so that’ll be it!

Freester

Yup common rugby injury. Wobbly finger as I used to call it. Basically your tendon has pulled away from the bone.

If you’re lucky the splint for 6 weeks will let the tendon reattach. Otherwise surgery awaits…

scud
    Free Member

Does look like snapped tendon or a problem with the groove in the joint that the tendon runs through.

I did the same with my thumb and had to have a tendon transplant, but fracture clinic will set you straight.

aracer
    Free Member

amputation – it’s the only option.

thepurist

amputation – it’s the only option.

Best do it at the shoulder though, just to be safe eh.

Get yourself off to A&E/fracture clinic

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ask yer Misses if she wants any modifications to correct it first 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Whole limb? Or neck downwards to be safe?

aracer
    Free Member

What, and keep the bit which has the most faults?

yossarian
    Free Member

Pulled my trousers on, put my hand in my pocket to straighten it out, middle finger on right hand goes crack, now look!

Chinny reckon

I reckon you were picking your nose after scratching your bum and smelt poo.

VanMan
    Free Member

I reckon there was a hole in the pocket 😀

pedropete

I would say you’re trousers are too tight

footflaps

I snapped the tendon off the bone in an MTB crash many moons ago. In my case the tendon anchor point detached from the knuckle rather than the tendon snapping. 6 weeks with a plastic splint over the finger and it healed, allbeit with a lump and slight loss in range of motion.

You’ll be getting one of these:

IanW
    Free Member

Rather poor shadow rabbit?

dr_death
    Free Member

Agree with (most) of the above.

Mallet deformity, fairly common mechanism of injury putting your hand in your pocket. Six weeks in a mallet splint (see pic above) which you MUST wear if you want it to heal. Don’t be tempted to take it off after a couple of weeks and give it an experimental bend to see whether it’s healed. It hasn’t.
    When you need to clean your rank finger, put your hand flat on a table and slide the splint off, clean finger with babywipe or similar and slide splint back on, re-tape in position.
    After 6 weeks of constant wearing, during which time you will wish they had just chopped the inconvenient finger off, you will get to wear it for a further two weeks whilst doing anything that might injure it…
    Then comes the big reveal….. anythin less than 15degrees of bend is considered a success, anything more = operation ( and another 6 weeks in a splint)

Happy to help. (I have about 6 degrees bend in my right little finger after falling off my MTB)

forgot to say.. pop to your local minor injuries or walk-in or A&E (whichever is handiest) as it will need an x-ray to see if it is the bone or the tendon….. hope it’s the bone.

enfht
    Free Member

Don’t worry too much unless it spreads to your wrist.

footflaps

When you need to clean your rank finger, put your hand flat on a table and slide the splint off, clean finger with babywipe or similar and slide splint back on, re-tape in position.

Yep, your finger will smell like rotting flesh after a few weeks!

jools182
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member 
    Ask yer Misses if she wants any modifications to correct it first

🙂

enfht
    Free Member
    nwilko
    Free Member

get to quacks or hospital i had the same after being hit by car mirror, self treated with a split but after waiting 6 weeks when i took off splint finger still cant be fully straightened, xrays then showed bone fragment with tendon had reattched to finger at joint making finger unable to flex.
    you need an xray to confirm if it is treatable with a splint.

cloudnine
    Free Member

looks like they’ll prolly take the whole arm off just below the neck..
    Maybe both to be on the safe side.

wwaswas

Is the OP back from a&e yet?

I think we should suggest less mundane ways that it could have been done;

“I pulled my hand out of my pocket at an awkward angle.”

isn’t going to cut the mustard when it comes to explaining wearing a splint for weeks on end.

martinhutch

Looks like a classic bowstring tendon injury, particularly with the accompanying sound – most likely a rupture, but perhaps not. Fairly common climbing injury.

Hopefully OP is getting it checked out, but in the meantime, icing it, anti-inflammatories and obviously not trying to use it may help reduce the initial swelling.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The OP has been to the docs this morning and will shortly be departing for A&E to be fully diagnosed and hopefully splinted up!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Wee update after 8 months!
    Well my finger is now straight, but I cant move the joint past 45 degrees now. Not a major problem, but wondering if I can do anything to restore further movement?
    Im reluctant to try and force it much further in case I snap the tendon again.

footflaps

8 Months!

Think mine healed in 6 weeks and the a took a few months to get nearly full movement back. Never be back to how it was as there is a lump where the bone fused (tendon attachment point snapped off the knuckle)…

gatsby
    Free Member

Ths happened to me once, t’s fne now but struggle wth touch typng and keep mssng out the ‘s, ‘s and ‘s.

t’s a pan n the arse.

G

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The irony of ‘straighten it out’ – :-). Hope it all ends well!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The irony of ‘straighten it out’ – :-). Hope it all ends well!

njee20
    Free Member

t’s fne now but struggle wth touch typng and keep mssng out the ‘s, ‘s and ‘s.

t’s a pan n the arse.

😆

McHamish
    Free Member

My Dad has a weird clunky finger knuckle – basically ‘clunks’* out of position, and he needs to ‘clunk’ it back in place. I think he damaged it during some drunken business trip at some point in his life.

It’s now his party trick.

*’Clunk’ seems an apt description for what it feels like when he gets people to straighten it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

It hasnt taken 8 months to heal, 6 weeks in the splint and then another month or two with the splint at night.
    Like I say its straight now, but full bendage not possible.

Northwind

Better get one of these ordered

bigyinn
    Free Member

I did it putting my hand in my pocket. How lame is that?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘WTF have I done to my finger?’ is closed to new replies.