Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • WTF have I done to my compressor/coupler?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Posting in bike forum because I use the compressor mostly to work on my bike. Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I have an air gun type attachment which I’ve attached to the hose from the compressor using an adapter. I’ve swapped this between an inflator attachment with a gauge numerous times. I use PTFE tape where I attach the gun, so I don’t think it’s seized, but I could be wrong. The air gun attachment won’t come off now.

Here’s a picture of what’s happened. Is it new hose time? They cost a fiver, so it’s money worth saving for me!

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Can you not just cut a bit of hose… Slit the stuck bit off and re-attach it? Could have just gone hard around the bayonet fitting.

Can’t really make out from the picture what’s wrong to be honest.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Why aren’t you using quick release?

RustyNissanPrairie

Cut the end off, stick in a pan of boiling water to soften, push back over the end and tighten nut.

twonks

You shouldn’t be splitting the hose there if that is where you alternate it between the tools.

Best bet now is to cut the hose as close to the end as possible, measure the OD, and use a push in fitting to 1/4 BSP male – which is what your tools will have most likely.

I suspect the tube will be 8mm OD, but try not to cut it too close the the bends as it will be oval at that point.

Something like the below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Bsp-Male-8MM-Straight-Push-in-Fitting-/110811089560?hash=item19ccdb0a98:g:M1wAAOxyYANTYKM9

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@doncorleoni @RustyNissanPrairie @twonks
    I think I’ll have to do one of those things. I have a hose cutter, so should hopefully be easy.

@hammyuk
    Would you mind recommending a quick release coupler please? I also have two outlets from the compressor, so maybe I can just get a second hose, leave this one in place, and just use the second hose for inflation instead? I’d not be averse to getting a quick release fitting if that’s what I should be using! I’m just using what came with the compressor because I don’t know much about these things 🙁 I literally use it to inflate tyres, dry the bike, and blow leaves and dirt out of my garage 🙁

RustyNissanPrairie

EBay for PCL 1/4″ quick release fittings

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Looks like the inlets have quick release fittings, but I removed them to fit the threaded ones that came with the hose. I’ve ordered this thing here:

Hopefully it will do the job! Thanks everybody for helping.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘WTF have I done to my compressor/coupler?’ is closed to new replies.