Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • WTF can I do? Rear brake mount has no thread
  • jamiep
    Free Member

That's it really. This is a new frame. Popped the bolts in for the first time and they just spinned

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Disc brake mounts? It's the caliper/adaptor which is threaded, not the frame.

stompy

Get some helicoils put in?? or tap them and use bigger bolts…..

Hadge
    Free Member

The disc mount has the theads in.

tron
    Free Member

Disc or Canti?

IIRC Disc mounts generally go behind the IS mount, so you're effectively tightening against the threads in the caliper mount. The IS mount on the frame should have slightly oversized holes so that the bolts don't bind up.

firestarter
    Free Member

Is It is mount ? As they aren't threaded

Jammy111
    Free Member

threads are in the calliper or adapter, not the frame… (bolt goes through frame mount then into caliper/adapter)

tron
    Free Member

Actually, best to ring up the manufacturer and arrange a warranty return.

Probably best to record the call and store it nice and safe on some webspace in case they try anything funny like reneging on an agreement to refund.

jamiep
    Free Member

Wow. That was fast. Thanks.

Disc IS mount. Slightly oversized holes like what Ton says. Sorry – Im a noob.

Yes, the threads are in the adaptor. However when I attach it and tighten there is still a bit of wobble – I need another 1/2 turn. I thought the mount needed facing but when I hold the mount against the frame without bolts it sits perfectly flush

edit: there is a bit of thread in there but the hole is slightly OS. I'll try a dab of loctite or similar which will probably sort it

tron
    Free Member

However when I attach it and tighten there is still a bit of wobble

There'll be something stopping it sitting flush then – sounds like it's on the outboard side of the mount where the bolt heads sit, not the inboard. Probably a blob of paint. Quick rub with a file, or even quicker, nip the bolts up so tight the paint gets crushed off.

Drac

Stop laughing at the back.

jamiep
    Free Member

thanks tron. Appreciated

heehee. oops, called you ton before. sorry

IA

Eh can I suggest caution with the rest of your bike assembly? Bolting brakes on is one of the more trivial tasks, so I worry about the rest of it! If you can't bolt them on, can you set them up correctly? Parktool.com has great advice if you need it.

(I'm not saying don't build it, just to be careful, take your time and be sure you're getting it right)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

edit: there is a bit of thread in there but the hole is slightly OS. I'll try a dab of loctite or similar which will probably sort it

There isn't any thread. Calipers and adaptors are threaded, so the frame doesn't need to be. In fact, threading calipers/adaptors means that he frame can't be threaded – it wouldn't be possible to align the threads and one set would invariably be destroyed. The holes in the frame are just plain old holes, slightly larger than 6mm. Threadlock is a complete waste of time/threadlock.

Worst-case scenario is that the frame mounts are not fitted straight, so the threads of the bolts are marking the interior of the hole when you tighten everything up. I think that your best course of action would be to let a bicycle mechanic take a look for you.

brakes
    Free Member

have you tried a hammer yet?
    if you have, perhaps try hitting it harder
    …maybe take a run-up too

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

and remember that all threaded parts have the same torque setting;
    tighten till you strip the threads, then back off half a turn.
    Happy to help.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘WTF can I do? Rear brake mount has no thread’ is closed to new replies.