Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • WTF am I doing?
  • Cougar

Well, I’m back.

As those on Twitter may know already, we didn’t quite make it all the way. It became clear by the end of Dalbeattie (#3) that time was our biggest enemy and our estimated finish time was looking to be around midnight. All other things aside, we had a B&B to try and check in to, the rest of our team had work to go to on Monday so couldn’t really be leaving Scotland in the wee small hours.

So, we made the executive decision to drop the two Western-most trails, Glentrool and Kirroughtree, and carry on to Glentress via Ae. That way we could make the most of the hours we had left and finish up on a trial close to our accommodation that we knew we were going to enjoy.

We’d came off Glentress at about 9-9:30ish (I was noting times but it’d gone out of the window by this point), having lost daylight and running close to empty on the riding lights we’d been donated by our Team Mum.

We toyed with the idea of snagging the other two on the way home tomorrow (ie, today) but, after getting hosed down and cleaned up last night, we’d kinda fallen out of the zone. Ironically, if we’d stayed grubby in a tent last night we’d probably have gone for it. Maybe. (-:

To anyone else thinking of doing this, these are the lessons we learned:

[list][*]We need to be at the first trailhead at first light, not leaving the campsite.[/*]

[*]Our pace could improve. Taking a few minutes to warm up in the car park before hitting the climbs might actually give us a shorter overall time at the park.[/*]

[*]Less faff between rides. We need to be out and riding, then back and driving. Any feeding, bottle refilling, and post-mortem discussion needs to happen whilst in transit.[/*]

[*]I’m not convinced that our route was optimal. At the time, starting at Newcastleton and ending at Glentress seemed like a great idea; Newcastleton is short and relatively easy, and as such a good warm-up. Glentress is a known quantity and a fun way of finishing. Both are reasonably close to each other, meaning we can pick a central point to camp.[/*][/list]

Having a single base camp to start and finish might well have been our ultimate downfall, which is doubly annoying when we later second-guessed the second night of camping in favour of a B&B. Having separate start and finish points causes various logistical problems but could well be the key to doing it.

Still. Five out of seven Stanes in a day, which is four more than we’ve managed previously. We feel achieved, even if it didn’t quite go according to plan. We feel reasonably fresh today if a bit stiff, so I reckon that we would have made it round but for sub-optimal use of time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sounds like a great day though. There’s always another time. You’re still all AWESOME 🙂

Cougar

We’re not, but bless you (-: It kinda drove it home when we explained what we were trying to do to a couple of groups we met at various points, and got the reaction “are you mad?!”

But, yeah. It was a great day, we were very lucky with the weather and even luckier to have a very lovely and patient ‘pit crew’ on hand to manhandle bikes, dispense advice and encouragement, and generally look after us.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, but, y’know, life is about having adventures like that. I’d be one of the people saying “You’re all mad” while secretly wishing I was in on the plan. 🙂

Cougar

In honesty, I think it’s why my OH and I make a good team. She’s stupid enough to come up with ideas like this, and I’m stupid enough to go along with it. (-: Individually, neither of us would’ve done it.

Cougar

Oh yeah,

Total ascent was apparently 2200ft (670m in real money). I’ve jumped out of aeroplanes at that height. It’s 100ft higher than the relative height of Cross Fell.

Ow.

richmtb

Fair play to you.

I’ve done Innerleithen Red followed by GT red a couple of times and I’d love to try doing something like this. Trouble is the Scottish borders is quite a big place (as you no doubt found out) Glentress is nearly 100 miles from Kirroughtree so even with lots of planning you would be doing a lot of riding in the dark if you wanted to try and complete it in a day

Cougar

As ever, my OH puts it better than I do.

http://loulouk.co.uk/2011/09/05/had-you-thought-about-the-ascent-total/

the Scottish borders is quite a big place

Well yes, this. And it’s haymaking season. ..oO

Cougar

Just been informed, the ascent is wrong.

We gained 3084ft / 940m.

Ow.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘WTF am I doing?’ is closed to new replies.