Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • WTB tyre on Stan's Flow 29er rim. Anyone else had problems ?
  • I put a WTB Prowler on the Flow rim on the back of my 29er last night.
    Everything went OK, until about 2:30 hours in to a trailquest today (did I mention I ride trailquests ?) when one side popped completely off the rim without warning.
    I put a tube in and everything seemed OK when I blew it up, so I carried on.
    Is it just an incompatibility issue ?
    Do some tyres work better than others on Flow rims ?

singlespeedstu

Prowler on a rear flow tubless worked fine for me.

Mine was a meat eating pimpdaddy white flow though.

I’ve got loads of different WTB’s on different flows without any problems.

Hmmm, OK.
    I run mine at 45psi, if that makes a difference.
    One thing I noticed as I blew it was that there seemed to be a few ripples in the side wall. They disappeared once it had some pressure in it, so I assumed they were caused by riding it the short distance between it going bang and me actually stopping.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BadlyWiredDog

45psi is a high pressure for a Stan’s rim, I generally wouldn’t inflate to more than 40psi on mine to seat the tyre and mostly I run about 30psi or so – somewhere in my brain is lodged a vague recollection that maximum recommended pressure is only about 40psi or so depending on tyre size – edit: I think that’s just their 29er rims. Anyway, 45psi does seem a lot.

MrTall
    Free Member

The sticker on my 29er Flows says 40psi max for 2.0″ tyres and 38psi max for 2.3″ tyres.

Not a problem for me as i run mine with tubes.

Too high a pressure?

Thanks for the replies.
    I got the rim second hand, there are no stickers on it.
    I just had a look at http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/products_id/345 and you’re right, 40psi max with a 2.0 tyre.

I ran two different Kenda tyres at 45psi, before swapping to the WTB, without problem. I only swapped them because both Kenda tyres developed mysterious bulges in the sidewall. Maybe I was just lucky with the pressure.

keavo
    Free Member

i ran a prowler on flow rim for a few months. no problem with it blowing off but it did leak through the sidewalls. as above, probably the pressure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘WTB tyre on Stan's Flow 29er rim. Anyone else had problems ?’ is closed to new replies.