Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • WTB Tyre Casings
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Lots of mates run WTB tyres and I’ve been pretty impressed whenever I’ve tried them so fancy giving some a go. The Trail Boss seems a good option for the rear for the summer but I’m wondering how the casings compare to maxxis.

It seems the light is marketed as single ply and tough as dual ply but the tough is a lot lighter than say a maxxis dualply, is it as tough? I’m guessing not but if it is I’ll take the low weight, low price and TCS any day over double the price, wire bead and the best part of an extra lb of weight of Maxxis DH tyres.

All seems a bit too good to be true to me, any experiences?

kimbers

my wtb vigilante 2.4 tough is very tough but also over a kg, not seeing much weight saving!

BoardinBob

Been running WTB Vigilante, Trail Boss & Wolverine for the past 18 months with no problems. Ran various versions: Gravity, TCS, Light, Tough etc all tubeless with no damage to the tyres at any time. My go to tyre brand now.

excitable1
    Free Member

Two words of caution….

WTB tyres are a bitch to get on and off, especially if you have high profile and/or carbon rims. I lost weight and tears trying.

Also, stay away from the Team Issue versions. They’re are made of cheese and lasted 3 rides tops before the knobs all started falling off !!!

I ran WTB for a year and I was persuaded to ditch them for the Specialized Butcher up front and the Slaughter outback (Grid Bliss versions). Best tyre combo I’ve ever had by far and good for all year round (except deep snow and deep calf deep mud) and only £35 a tyre !!!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Ah, you may have a point there Kimbers, I’m comparing actual Maxxis weight to decalred WTB weight. My High Roller II is 1200g in 26″ and the Tough Trail Boss is 870g declared, would hope they weren’t that far out, what size is yours Kimbers?

When I say tough I mean tough for Mega and Morzine, is the 2.25 a decent size on 25mm rims? no 2.4 I can find in 26″

Also lots of reports of people not being able to get them on their rims, anyone running them on DT EX471s?

BoardinBob

WTB tyres are a bitch to get on and off, especially if you have high profile and/or carbon rims. I lost weight and tears trying.

I’ve been ok and I’ve ran them on

Stans Flows
    Superstar Tactic
    Mavic EX823
    Roval

And haven’t had any problems. Can usually get them on by hand

trail_rat
    Free Member

fine by hand with me on stans crests , arches and WTB Freedom rydes

Mines are nano TCS though.

chrishc777
    Free Member

So would Tough be more equivalent to EXO then? Wouldn’t want an EXO on the rear in rocky stuff

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s more comparable to Schwalbe’s Supergravity I think.

Seems a bit tougher than Exo and I’ve had no flats yet (touch wood).

proutster
    Free Member

To me the Tough feel much more like a Schwalbe Super Gravity casing rather than a Maxxis EXO casing – much thicker.

EDIT – too slow 😳

bigjim

I’d put them tougher than exo. Best thing to do is have a feel of one in the shop.

They fit on WTB rims beautifully by hand

bigfoot
    Free Member

they seem to stand up to rocky lakes riding quite well and i don’t treat them that well as the shape of the rims i’ve just had to replace shows.
    having said that i found a bad cut nearly the full height of the sidewall on the nearly new rear tyre after sundays ride. it didn’t quite go all the way through though which i’m guessing it would of done if it had been the light version, there is a big difference in the sidewall thickness between the two.

i’ve got a vigilante light front and tough rear.

chrishc777
    Free Member

So Trail Boss Tough, Rock Razor SG or High Roller 2 DH on the rear for a zero finesse 75kg rider at mega? Tubeless

Thinking EXO minion or Butcher Grid front, whichever I come across cheap really.

Last year I had zero punctures with maxxis dh tyres and tubes both ends but cranking the bike up to speed was a soul sapping experience! And I was running about 200psi so the bike was trying to kill me the whole way down

EDIT: I apologise as I’ve just re read my post and this has turned into a what tyre for thread! 😈

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘WTB Tyre Casings’ is closed to new replies.