Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • WTB rim/tyre combo. Oh how I hate it ]:-
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Using out some crap weather tried to shod newly re-dished real wheel in some rubber.

30 minutes of swearing, sweating and finally on. Only to find out that I managed to pinch and puncture inner tube. Another 20 minutes of fight to take it of and then back again…

Combo of WTB Asym i35 with Ranger 27.5×2.8 is a pigandabastard to operate…

No know tricks helping out. Just raw pushing of levers and plenty of blue words…

Unless I’m missing something fundamentally…

Anybody else having a mare with such combination?

Cheers!
    I.

Poopscoop

Good recent thread here mate. stubborn tyres

vincienup
    Free Member

I found the same combination as easy as all other WTB/WTB TCS combinations I’ve used.

Bit of soapy water and job done…

On that recent thread mentioned there’s a good trick involving the dip in the rim bed though, I’d not tried that one before and apparently it works well.

simondbarnes

there’s a good trick involving the dip in the rim bed though, I’d not tried that one before and apparently it works well.

It’s not a trick. It’s how you install tyres.

colournoise

Just put Ranger 2.8s on Flow mk3s no problems (barely even needed the levers except for the very last bit).

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Pushing bead into the middle of rim is obvious for me. Always doing like that. The point is, it is not really helping out on this particular combination…

Cheers!
    I.

scotroutes

Try mounting the other side first (asymmetric rim has asymmetric well).

qwerty
    Free Member

Only to find out that I managed to pinch and puncture inner tube.

And there lies the problem 😉 go tubeless!!!

bigjim

I find WTB tyres go beautifully onto my WTB rims!

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Never had any issues with WTB tyres and WTB rimes. Only now with i35 Asym…

Will try starting from the other side and will see if there is any improvement.

Cheers!
    I.

vincienup
    Free Member

It’s not a trick. It’s how you install tyres

By the sound of things it’s probably the *right* way to install tyres but judging by the number of people it was news tonin that thread it’s clearly not as common knowledge as it perhaps ought to be! 🙂

I must confess the way I’ve always used (forcing tyre over rim edge starting at valve) was just the way my Dad showed me best part of forty years ago (minus the spoons stolen from the kitchen drawer). I’ve managed most things I’ve tried this way, but I’ll certainly be paying more attention to where the rest of the tyre is in future!

chakaping
    Free Member

The trail boss tough carcass is a total git on my crossmax XL rim too.

Good job it doesn’t get flats.

*Touches wood

IvanMTB
    Free Member

go tubeless!!!

And that is the plan. However another 20 minutes later, one skin-stripped finger down the line managed to check if re-dishing is correct.

Luckily it is.

Now only a nightmare of taking things apart and making it into tubeless.

Good thing is, with such a bastardtight fit it is going to be a breeze 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

wrecker
    Free Member

Trail boss tough/grip came on/off lovely by hand on Dt swiss rims earlier.
    I have had issues with asymmetric rims previously though, even the bike shop did and ended up putting the thinnest TL tape on they could find (ENVE I think). The though of a puncture on those scared the shit out of me!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘WTB rim/tyre combo. Oh how I hate it ]:-’ is closed to new replies.