Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • WTB Asym i35 – Impressed
  • variflex
    Free Member

Ive just had my old stans (flow front, arch rear) on hope Pro2 EVO’s stripped down and Ive replaced the rims and spokes with the WTB Asym i35’s and DT Comp spokes.

Really impressed. These are 29er wheels and Ive put a Spec Purgatory on the back and an OnOne Chunky Monkey on the front. They now provide a HUGE profile and look awesome.

Will post pics and feedback once ridden though. Popped then on my new Spec Enduro build that is waiting for the slop to dry out a bit.

Was going to go down the light bicycle carbon rim route, but at 60 quid a rim (before discount) for the WTB’s it was almost a no brainer. Definitely worth a try as the LB rims are almost 3 times the price by the time you add customs and shipping etc.

Northwind

I’d not seen those before, very cool. Nearly 50% heavier than the nearest equivalent LB carbon, mind, but still. WTB and DT really do seem to be kicking ass these days, I wonder if Stans have a response

Could you do an update on durability once they’ve been tested more? They look more KOMmy than Frequencyey

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Are they carbon or alloy?

hatter

Just tried chubbifying my 29er with a 3″ inch WTB Bridger/Trailboss combo on DT 551’s.

Thought they’d be ‘fun but slow’ nope, set 3 segment personal bests at Swinley today in some of the grimmest conditions imaginable.

Considering they replaced a somewhat racey set of crossmaxes I’m rather impressed.

rOcKeTdOg

velocity blunt 35’s with ardent 2.4’s are nice and wide (although small compared to the fat bike i’m used to)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

New bike?

thv3
    Free Member

Any updates on these?

How are you finding the extra weight?

RicB

Looking at these rims, and the i29s. Possibly a daft question but how do you calculate spoke length?

Xm481 and i29 are definitely the trail rims de jour

Tracey

Had a look at the i29 and i35 on Tuesday to build up some cheaper spare 650b wheels onto some of our Hope hubs. They do look good but opting to use some i25 KOMs that we have in the garage rather than any furthur outlay

singlespeedstu

velocity blunt 35’s

30mm Internal width shit for tubeless and dent like they’re made of denty alloy.
    If you’re only looking for a 30mm internal have a look at the EX481.
    i35’s seem bomb proof though if a little heavy

johnnystorm

Seems odd that Velocity Blunt 35s are shit for tubeless when the Blunt SS I have went up tubelessly easily with X-King 2.4 protections.

cooie

RicB,Wheelpro spoke calc has an Asym box to add the offset

mccraque

I’ve put 210 miles on my i35’s that are on my cotic. They’re fantastic.

Smashed one damn hard on a rock while accidentally running way too low a pressure. Not a mark.

Went up tubeless very easy. Look great, don’t take too much getting up to speed considering their weight.

I’m happy!

thv3
    Free Member

How are you all running these, as chubby 2.8-3.0 or using 2.3-2.5 tyres?

Any clearance issues?

Looking at new rims for a 29er, and think the i29 sounds good, but the i35 sounds betterer 😀

singlespeedstu

Blunt SS I have went up tubelessly easily

Going up and not burping are two totaly different things.

How are you all running these, as chubby 2.8-3.0 or using 2.3-2.5 tyres?

i35 27.5 here with 2.8 NN on. Apart from being a bit porky it’s been fine. No burpage even at low PSI and stayed straight so far.

richardthird

Blunt & Chronicle Tubeless here, well over 1000m @ low teens tubeless, faultless.

RicB

I’m thinking of getting a wider rim to give a better profile for the 2.3-2.5 tyres I normally use so I think an i29 or xm481 is better suited than a i35, which are probably better suited to 2.5-3+” tyres.

I’d be worried about stretching a 2.3 tyres too wide on an i35 and leaving the sidewalls very exposed

Cooie- thanks for the heads up re Wheelpro calculator. I was trying to figure things out in my head and getting very stuck!

kimbers

I’d be worried about stretching a 2.3 tyres too wide on an i35 and leaving the sidewalls very exposed

I have lb 38?mm rims, absolutely fine with the tyres from 2.25 – 2.4
    Sidewalls are unscathed riding woburn or Wales

scotroutes

I’m using 2.35mm XR4 Teams on KOM i35s and they’re perfectly OK.

mccraque

I’ve got 27.5+

3.0 nobby nic front – boost fork. Loads of clearance.

2.8 wtb rear

trusty

Thread bump! Any more thoughts on these? Trying to decide between the i29s and i35s for my trail bike. Usually run schwable tyres, hans, magic etc. Any thoughts?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘WTB Asym i35 – Impressed’ is closed to new replies.