Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • WTB’s new 40c Nano gravel tyre
  • bfjaerem
    Free Member

Adventure tyre help please – has anyone any real life UK experience of the 40c Nano.

I am after more tyre volume to replace the 35c on my new Arkose. These appear the tyre of choice for the TD but what about gloopy surrey clag.

Any other 40c tyres I should be be considering? The CR version below appear not to run tubeless – should I be worried?

Thanks

WTB’s new 40c Nano gravel tyre

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/wtb-nano-race-cyclo-cross-tyre/rp-prod121980?gs=1&gclid=CJKd383yh9ACFTMo0wodhzsPRg&gclsrc=aw.ds

trail_rat
    Free Member

it was new 2 years ago 😀

i have them on my rove.

very capible off road and also very quick on the road

You notice the difference over a 35C cross tire. Also has a more robust carcass than “most” cross marketed tires.

jimdubleyou

I have found that the Nano doesn’t quite fit my Arkose on the rear – it’s got a slight kink in it / doesn’t quite pop up onto the rim all the way round. This means it catches the long arm front mech every rotation.

I’ve been running the 38C Vittoria Randonneur Trail in the summer over dry trails and they have been great.

I tend not to ride that bike across trails in the winter, but will have a Cross Boss / Nano combo fitted just in case.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I’ve got the TCS tubeless ones on my Cotic X.

Haven’t really tried them in clag, but they are great on-off road tyres.
    I much prefer them to the 35 Conti CX Kings they replaced.
    Plenty of cushioning and grip on dry dahn sarf bridleway conditions and they roll fast enough on tarmac to keep up with my roadie mates without feeling seriously disadvantaged, so all good.

bfjaerem
    Free Member

Thanks – I will be a little disappointed if a 40c will not fit my Arkrose as this was one of the reasons for choosing. Could I ask Jimdubleyou if you know if your frame dimensions are the same as my 2016 medium?

Also can I ask what do you guys do for mudguards? I was hoping to find a pair of scaled down mud huggers but they have no plans to produce an adventure bike version. I am looking for more clearance than conventional mudguards.

slowjo
    Free Member

My mate has a new Arkose and he is running the Nano. There is plenty of room.

I think you’ll find they are cheaper at Planet X btw.

trail_rat
    Free Member

40c Nanos and PDW full metal fenders on the rove with room to spare.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Excellent tyre on everything but mud and wet grass, & on those surfaces they’re pretty lethal

jimdubleyou

Could I ask Jimdubleyou if you know if your frame dimensions are the same as my 2016 medium?

Mine’s definitely a medium, from that era. Frame clearance is fine, I just need to get a short arm front mech.

The new 2017 models have got massive frame clearance (for 45c tyres).

benp1

40c Nanos came fitted with my Arkose, but it’s an Arkose 2 running 1×10 so there’s no front derailleur to get in the way. The Arkoses with a FD came with 35c Kenda Small Block 8s

To be honest I took them off and put some 32c Marathon Pluses on for commuting, they’re hanging up in my garage!

But I’ve got 2.1 Nanos on my rigid bike and they’re great, if thats any use…?

bfjaerem
    Free Member

Thanks for your help. I took a gamble on the Nano’s and as you can (hopefully) see from the images plenty of room to spare. cant wait to try them out tomorrow.

I have now read on here that to be a proper monster cross i need in excess of 44c – do you think i have any chance?

https://postimg.org/gallery/1zfq3vtse/

johnnystorm

As mentioned above 40c Nanos on Alpkit Orbit wheels fit with plenty of room on my 2×11 2015 Arkose too.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The 40c version is now £26.39 at DFS, after their day 3 tyre and tube 12% “sale.”

Unfortunately they were available (albeit hidden from view unless you searched specifically for them) for £21 all summer.

shandcycles
    Free Member

I’m just back from a first outing on some Knard 41mm tyres. Seem ok. Although to be brutally honest, I’m not sure I could tell much of a difference from the Nanos. Seem to shed the gloop pretty well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘WTB’s new 40c Nano gravel tyre’ is closed to new replies.