Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wristband activity trackers
  • eaststandlower
    Free Member

Morning, does any one have any experience of these devices? Looked at Nike, Fitbit and Jawbone offerings. Jawbone looks favourite at the moment, but wondered if others have any experiences they care to share?

Main activities are bike, running.

Thanks in advance!

stox
    Free Member

I’d be interested in people’s experiences of these. Was thinking of getting the wife something similar.
    Just had a look at that jawbone and it looks pretty cool.

Can’t help thinking it’d end up going in the drawer after a week once the novelty had worn off …

allthepies
    Free Member

If you go down the Jawbone route then I believe the Up 24 is the one to get rather than the more basic Up. (Up 24 can sync using bluetooth rather than needing a cable). The 24 does cost quite a bit more though.

jim25

Check first it does what you want, a friends girlfriend has bought one for general fitness recording, but it doesn’t work for cycling. Just running/walking

rocketman
    Free Member

The little rockets have got Nike Fuelbands. rocket jr wears his every day but miss rocket is not so fussed.

Works well for walking running generally moving about and bmx/DJ. Not so good for sitting in Starbucks. The app is slick and professional and should be integrated into the Health app in iOS 8

sazter

I had the Nike one, got it with decent staff discount in order to promote them.. used it and tracked everything (it’s not great for cycling) for 6 months, then found it annoying. Was preventing me from enjoying stuff as much as I was too bothered about the stats and couldn’t wear my nicer watches… (I also deleted strava as it was annoying me, not ‘just riding’, so perhaps I am just a weirdo)… Anyway, sold it, made a wee profit, back to normal watches for me.

GregMay
    Free Member

Ok, so I’ve had several different generations of ones through the years.

Started off as some trials for PhD with NikeFuel and JawboneUp (old version) -never got on with either and they were…not accurate.

Personally own and used two generations of Fitbit, and now have a Garmin Vivofit as it has the ability to capture and display HR from any ANT+ sensor.

It all depends what you want to do with it?

The Vivofit is the first of the new generation of activity monitors that strikes me more as an inactivity monitor – it has a quick and easy way of letting you know if you’ve been sedate – this is what I use it for. Recently moved back to a more desk focused job from standing 9-5 so I wanted it to make me get up and move. Which it does. Also, it has a user changeable battery and requires no charging.

I miss the vibrate alarm from my Fitbit, other than that…it was a bit basic as it had no real display. But, it was teeny tiny.

andyfla
    Free Member

Not used any but is now a good time to invest as they are all rather expensive with the possibility of Apple producing something in a couple of months time – could change the market ?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I bought a fit-bit for my other half to help motivate her to get off her arse and do a bit more. She uses it in conjunction with a gps tracking app on her phone and my fitness pal for what she eats. I think it has helped but ideally she needs a version that gives you an electric shock if you watch ‘Animal rescue women who kill hospital reality’ for more than sixty minutes. I’d pay a significant sum for one of those.

Not for those who want fine detail in my opinion.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

I have a Vivofit and I like it. I had been using it with the HRM when on bike but now banned from cycling.t’s only used to remind me to getup from my desk. My wife bought me it as I got chubby from working at a desk after years on the tools.

She bought the blue strap and I can’t find a black replacement anywhere.
    I quite like the sleep monitor.

thehustler
    Free Member

Got a gear fit on Sat as I have the S5 phone, so far it seems pretty good, atm only used the shealth app but apparently it works with Stttttaaaavvvvaaaa!, and a endomomdo (the app i would normally use) release is due soon

GregMay
    Free Member

Not used any but is now a good time to invest as they are all rather expensive with the possibility of Apple producing something in a couple of months time – could change the market ?

The iHealth (you know it’ll be called something shit like that) is supposedly going to work with a variety of different pieces of hardware, in the same way that Googles version will be.
    I’ve no doubt that Apple with release something, but as ever, they aren’t the be all and end all.
    FWIW I’m a Mac user as well. So not a hater.

andermt
    Free Member

Been thinking about one of these as well.

For those using Fitbit, how do you track your cycling? I guess it’s the same for a lot of these tracking tools as you arm doesn’t move around much. Walking and running I can see how it would track the activity.

Furious

I got given a Jawbone24. You don’t really notice you’re wearing it, it seamlessly talks to your iPhone but the data it outputs is not that useful. It’s mainly a high tech pedometer. The sleep pattern stuff mas mildly interesting but nothing more. Basically. it was a novelty for a couple of days and now it lives on my bedside table 🙂

muggomagic

I bought an LG G Watch last week, and I have to say it’s very good. Most of the fitness apps now have an android wear version, so you can see the data on the watch. It records your steps etc. I use it with viewranger and can now follow the nav arrows while on the move.
    I also get all my notifications on the watch which means no need to stop and fetch my phone out my pocket when I’m riding, when some cold caller is offering to sort out my PPI claim!
    If you have an iPhone then it’ll definitely be worth hanging on and seeing what the iWatch has to offer, I imagine it’ll come at a premium though.

benji
    Free Member

I have a polar loop, really like it, but I use it to make sure on rest days I don’t do much, had issues in the past with over training, so it’s good to get some indication. Don’t use a heart rate monitor with it, as it needs a bluetooth feed rather than an ant+ which my garmin gives to my edge 200, be nice to combine it, but it’s ok as it is. The sleep analysis is interesting as well, 7-8 hrs sleep and I’m recovering nicely, anything less and it begins to see tired legs.

GregMay
    Free Member

Update on the Apple Health side: http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/02/apple-healthkit/

andyfla
    Free Member

I’ve no doubt that Apple with release something, but as ever, they aren’t the be all and end all.
    FWIW I’m a Mac user as well. So not a hater.

I didn’t mean that the apple iWatch (if that is what it is called) will be the next greatest thing, but it could be interesting to see what that spurs other people into doing or how they do it.

GHill

I’ve thought about getting one a couple of times, then realised I’d be much better off with a GPS watch so the smartphone can be left at home (thinking running here).

I don’t really care how much walking I do during my daily routine, do people really sweat small details like that?

GregMay
    Free Member

Somewhat yes. I used to work in a bike shop – i’d be tired when I’d try to go training and I wanted to know why. Turns out walking between 10 and 16km a day at work tires you out…obvious I know, but it’s nice to be able to quantify that it’s not in your head – or that I’m not actually overtraining.

G

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wristband activity trackers’ is closed to new replies.