Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wrist supports? (Triangular fibrocartilage issue)
  • vickypea
    Free Member

My other ailment is a dodgy wrist, which I’ve had all my life. I was diagnosed with a problem with the triangular fibrocartilage complex, caused by my ulna being too long. The only solution is to have my ulna shortened which I decided against. But my wrist is really weak and now I can’t lift weights or do press ups and it even hurts doing everyday things. I wondered if there was some way of strapping my wrist up to allow me to do a bit more with it, like lift my bike over gates instead of relying on Mr pea to do it? I have no idea where to get a wrist support or whatever though.

cdoc
    Free Member

Yep, supports really make a difference! Had tfcc over the previous year after overdoing the climbing (and falling the bike off a lot too).
    First one I tried was pricey, I think that it came to 35 quid as it had to cross the Atlantic to get to me. This one..
    http://www.3pointproducts.com/3pp-carpal-lift-np
    It applies a light pressure that makes a big difference to rotational pain, but does not offer much actual support when load bearing..

To deal with the load bearing side of thing, like climbing or mtb and weights, I picked up a dirt cheap wrist support from home-bargins or b and m or somewhere like that for a couple of quid. They can be done up tight enough to allow some moderate lifting without discomfort.

It sucks, but rest it as much as possible and it will be fine in six months or less, dependent on the damage already done.

readingspider
    Free Member

I damaged my TFCC and by far the best support was this: https://www.wristwidget.com/

I use it all the time and it really doesn’t restrict movement like other supports can. Got mine from Amazon.

footflaps

I use wrist straps for weight lifting as my left wrist doesn’t like certain positions. There are loads on the market.

This type is pretty flexible

These offer more support, but are a pain to put on:

vickypea
    Free Member

Thanks very much everyone! I was half-expecting no replies as I hadn’t heard of the problem til I got the diagnosis.

Cougar

With a diagnosis, Occupational Therapy (I think, ask me again tomorrow) will provide all this stuff for free.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wrist supports? (Triangular fibrocartilage issue)’ is closed to new replies.