Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Wrist pain
  • adsh
    Free Member

A combination of DIY and riding rigid for a short while has either exacerbated some low level arthritis in my wrists or strained them. Whatever it’s quite uncomfortable.

The DIY is finished, the rigids are consigned to road riding and Ibuprofen is helping. I’m wondering if there is anything I can do while maintaining a reasonable XC position.

I currently ride 4degree flats (more sweep seems to hurt the heel of my hands) with ESI grips and bar ends. Saddle to bar drop is 4cm. This gives me a reasonably low and long position that gets weight over the front wheel but which I can maintain for a 12hr race (before this problem)

I already run my 100mm forks pretty soft – I get full travel/they bottom on the biggest features on XC courses. I try and vary hand position – the bar ends are great for resting my hands on which feel more comfortable at that 45degrees. My arms are pretty pipe cleaner like and I wonder if lack of muscle/condition contributes.

Any help/tips available?

jimwah
    Free Member

You sound well experienced but I just thought I’d chip in here. I noticed myself giving the bars the ‘death grip’ on the climbs lately – loosening my grip, and trying to keep any pull on the bars much smoother, is now part of my routine and helps a bit (I mostly have shoulder issues) perhaps this is something worth being conscious of on your next ride. Some light weights work can’t hurt, I do a few 20 min sessions a week on upper body – just go easy as jolting movements certainly want to be avoided.

I run 680mm bar even with broad shoulders & tend to angle the sweep of the bars quite high, in line with my arms or above; having that sweep angled too low would defo spell wrist/forearm issues for me at least.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Wrist pain’ is closed to new replies.