Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wrist injuries – how long to heal?
  • jimmy

Playing in goal a few weeks back, I managed to smack my wrist up pretty bad saving a thunder cracker of a shot. Hand was pushed too fast back and although it isn’t broken is a Grade 2 sprain by self diagnosis.

Already been 4/5 weeks and it’s still very sore and difficult to fully rest in any given week. Anyone else had similar, how long did it take until riding mtb again? I’m getting grumpy and frustrated without seeing much improvement (now aged 40 might be relevant).

nickjb
    Free Member

Is it definitely not broken? My break was missed by two GPs before eventually someone got it and it needed surgery. Last time I had something similar I popped down to the minor injuries unit and they x-rayed it pretty quickly. Mine was about three years for reasonable levels of recovery but mostly due to the docs missing it. Once I’d been treated it was probably 6 months although it still gives me occasional grief 20 years later but enough other bits are starting to go that its a minor issue. I rode with a 661 wrist wrap for a while and that helped a lot although it did limit movement a fair bit

scotroutes

Yeah- you might think you’re Superman but you don’t have X-Ray vision. See a pro.

akira

I thought mine was fine after a minor fall, went to pub, rode next day then drive home. Two days later got x-rayed as still sore. Hairline fracture, go to docs.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

+1 on the “are you sure it isn’t broken?”
    My broken wrist took 1 Gp visit and two visits to a+e to diagnose.
    There are a lot of small bones in your wrist – mine was broken in two different places (fell off a skateboard) but the first xray missed both.
    Breaking my right wrist as a fourteen year old was a VERY big deal!

jimmy

Has been x-rayed, not broken. Feels like a different part of the soft tissue is severely bruised day-to-day. Just looking for realistic timescales.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My wrist was pretty sore for ~6 months after my RTA, days after turning 40. It has never regained the full range of motion that my left wrist has, even 3 years on, but the limited range no longer effects typical day today stuff.

jimmy

Ah crap, 6 months had been mentioned.

darrell
    Free Member

depends on how old you are

forever in my case ’cause i’m an old sod

never ending pain and discomfort and fading movement

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm – as above, the medical professionals didn’t think I’d broken mine and whilst it was picked up on the x-ray, I’ve heard of plenty of cases of broken wrists being missed even after x-ray. Seems like a long time to have the sort of symptoms you have if it’s not broken.

The thing is, I broke mine doing exactly the same thing as you and self-diagnosed as a sprain.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

18 months after breaking my scaphoid & another bone, and doing some impressive soft tissue damage, I can ‘just’ about do a single press up without collapsing in agony.

It’s been a long road to recovery. It doesn’t affect my riding too much any more, but it’s annoyingly painful in life (still struggle to open jars etc).

kaiser
    Free Member

‘kin ages if it’s anything like mine and mine’s only tendinitus mainly caused by laptop use. 6 months in and still daily pain …am 53 though!

Superficial
    Free Member

My ?rist just reminded me for the first time in a while that I tore my scapholunate ligament about 4 years ago. It was a really innocuous little crash, but bloody painful for months. When I had finally started to forget about it being sore, it came back on today’s ride.

X-rays picked up nothing but A&E sent me to see a consultant in fracture clinic anyway. He was concerned enough to send me for an MRI scan which picked it up.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Can you hold a pint or take the lid off a jar? If it’s painful doing either of these get it x-rayed asap

jamesoz

In my case left wrist fractured in 4 places, right wrist damaged ligaments. Left wrist took a few months before back to normal. Right wrist took a couple of years. What I’m trying to say is just because it’s not broken doesn’t mean it’s not ****.
    Comedy moment for my then house mates of me not being able to turn my bedroom door handle, losing my temper and putting my foot through the door and getting very stuck.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Broken, usual 6 weeks. However I had on and off aches from a wrist break for more like 6 years! Not frequent, but every now and again it would ache and sort of seize up, sometimes where I could barely move my wrist. Weird. Roughly scaphoid region. They never said what was bust but about there. Eventually went away.

daftvader
    Free Member

Tfcc tear here, thought it was a break/ bad sprain… 5 years, 5 MRI, 4 mr arthrograms, 2 operations 4 cortisone shots and it’s still not right… go see the dr

sweaman2
    Free Member

When was the xray? If it was immediately after the accident might be worth a second look. Fractures of the wrist can sometimes take a while to become viable on xray and so may be missed in the initial screening.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Took over two weeks for my broken scaphoid to show up on the X-ray. It was missed the first time, just after I did it.

bennyball
    Free Member

I had soft tissue damage to my wrist a little while ago, I went to a&e and they gave me a support. I didn’t think I’d need it at the time but I was thankful for it and used it pretty much every evening. Took about 6 weeks to get back to riding using that

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Life? Missed scaphoid about 10 years ago I reckon. It`s not getting better

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Broken or not, it’s a fine balance between over use or under use and the complications of both !

chrisdw
    Free Member

Btaken my wrist from a broken scaphoid, and radial head in elbow; along with some ligament damage about 8 months. Was in cast for 9 weeks. But the process afterwards is long and painful. Still don’t have full movement bending by wrist down. Back is fine.

I did start kickboxing at the 5 month mark though. That’s a good idea right? 😕 Was good for the flexibility I suppose.

I don’t notice it anymore. Makes some funny noises occasionally.

myopic
    Free Member

Jimmy, I have some experience if this I posted a while back which I’ve linked here to save repeating it. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-riding-with-scaphoid-non-union-snac-wrist-fusion-etc

Scaphoid breaks can take some time before they appear in x rays, even when they’re looking for them. Best to get it checked again

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmm, things I didn’t want to read. Sitting here after a proper big OTB moment avoiding a ****ing ******* minicab in that there London. X-Rays picked up 2 breaks in little finger, but they’re convinced scaphoid is done as well, so off to the fracture clinic next Friday ‘cos ‘hands have a habit of hiding breaks in X-rays just after you’ve had a tumble’.

Can’t ride fir now and sitting around unable to play guitar is bloody frustrating

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wrist injuries – how long to heal?’ is closed to new replies.