Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wrapping bar tape.
  • lunge

Can someone tell me which direction to wrap in please? At the moment I have done it so that on the tops of the bars the edges of the tape points to the middle of the bike (\\\ stem ///) but my bosses new bike points away from the bike (/// stem \\\). I took my old stuff off without looking which way round it was taped and having looked on You Tube and pics on the web there seems to be no consensus.

So STW, which is the correct way? And does it actually matter anyway?!

wwaswas

Always start rolling at the bottom of the bars and go clockwise.

[edit] hang on that doesn’t work. clockwise right side ant-clockwise left. or is it the other way around. errm. *confused*

Onzadog
    Free Member

I wrap mine so that riding on the tops and pulling against the bars, I tighten the tape with my grip rather than loosen it off.

Next time I redo them, I’m thinking of trying oldgits method of starting at the top and working down. No finishing tape required.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    higgo
    Free Member

I hate wrapping bar tape.

cp

I’ve found this video great:-

I’ve wrapped randomnly either way round, and it hasn’t affected the tape in any way – none of this ‘it will unwrap under load’ stuff. Just looks a bit odd when they both go the same way.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I did an article a while ago with Spesh Bar Phat tape and gels kit:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/bar-taping-your-drop-bars.htm

cookeaa

Actually that’s a point, My current wrapping is working out OK but I was considering looking at adding some gel pads next time just to see if they help a bit more with buzz and numbness…

anyone got any pointers on placement or what to look for/avoid when buying them?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have only used the Bar phat – I put them on the inside drop and the top but some dont bother inside the drop/bottom as this may make the grip to big?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

cant find bar tape covered here

The Rules

so anything goes I guess 🙂

breatheeasy
    Free Member

My current wrapping is working out OK but I was considering looking at adding some gel pads next time just to see if they help a bit more with buzz and numbness…

Try double wrapping – I put some thinner tape on the tops first, then went over it with my normal tape (Bontrager Double Gel – it’s pretty thick anyway).

I found the gel pads were just too bulky.

lunge

Ok, looking at the tour bikes on bike radar it appears that while mine goes the same way as Foxy up there it seems to be the opposite to most pro bikes. I also need to work on my figure of 8’s. I think I may have a play in the garden tonight over a beer.

cookeaa

I’ve tried double wrapping before and found it sort of worked for a bit, but ultimately didn’t really serve to absorb any more buzz/vibration, and just felt a bit too chunky and odd, that’s why I’m keen to try gel pads, but if they’ree no better then I guess I’m back to square one…

jota180
    Free Member

Always clockwise from the bar end for me.

If you think about it, your hands naturally creep out on the bars – from the stem to the hoods
    So you need the edges of the overlap to be facing the out – towards the hoods – or you’ll end up pushing them up.

brakes
    Free Member

I go from the middle outwards, going over the top towards the front of the bike (\\\ stem ///) – then… when it gets to the hoods it wraps around and then reverses and goes over the top towards the back.
    For no reason other than it seems logical.
    I use the Specialized tape with gel fat/inserts on the tops of the bars and on the inside bottom of the drops. It is cumbersome to do but you can cut it down and it doesn’t bulk out the bars too much as it squishes a lot.
    No slip, but it does wear quite easily if you don’t move your hands around much.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I tape mine outside to inside not all clockwise (you go opposite each side), works for me – another article here:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/handlebar-tape-installation-drop-bar

Edric64
    Free Member

What Jota180 said start at the bottom .I agree it looks tidier when new to start at the top but after a bit you push the edges of the overlap up which you dont by taping from the bottom

oldgit
    Free Member

Middle to hoods and strap. Then ends to hoods and strap, no visible ends. See my post (as summers never coming, here’s my new old bike) for an image. The tape does not unwind.

RealMan
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbEJfJlvp4E[/video]

5:25

All you need to know really.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wrapping bar tape.’ is closed to new replies.