• This topic has 46 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Wrap up warm else you'll get a cold – lies or the truth
  • crikey
    Free Member

I find the best way to ward off colds is too burn a witch

Fixed the spelling for you, Professor…

tonyd

Apparently burning a witch doesn’t generate heat.

oldgit
    Free Member

I get colds all the time, usually after prolonged exposure to penetrating cold and damp i.e long slow ride waiting for people. Or building up a sweat then standing about freezing afterwards.
    But I also have a pointy nose, am I witch.

grum
    Free Member

I’m sure there was an article in one of the bike mags a while ago that said that heavy exercise does suppress the immune system which can lead to increased susceptibility to viruses, especially in the short period immediately after exercise.

Of course being in a bike mag it could have been utter bobbins, but it was written with a medical/scientific angle (ie not just a bike mag journo I don’t think).

crikey
    Free Member

The problem is the concept of ‘depressing/weakening/reducing the immune system’.

It rolls off the tongue so easily and seems to have become part of the language, but no-one actually knows what it means.

The ‘immune system’ is a complex physical and chemical and biological entity that is relatively poorly understood even by the clever folk, and to suggest that going out on a bike and getting cold feet is going to cause it problems is a bit daft.

I deal with people who have actual, real, provable problems with their ‘immune systems’, and also deal with people who get their core temperatures manipulated one way or another, and my experience is not the same as a few bikers who get a bit chilly…

DrP

It’s a little known fact that antibiotics treat all viral colds.
    Only a few, highly select members of society know this, and it’s an absolute pleasure seeing to them numerous times a day, and happily dishing out their much coveted antibiotics. They also know that the antibiotics only work when taken within 24 hours of onset of symptoms, so MUST present before this time…..

DrP

grum
    Free Member

I deal with people who have actual, real, provable problems with their ‘immune systems’, and also deal with people who get their core temperatures manipulated one way or another, and my experience is not the same as a few bikers who get a bit chilly…

The article I was talking about referred to doing hard exercise, not getting chilly.

This wasn’t it but says similar stuff.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/542009-can-exercise-make-your-immune-system-go-down/

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Wrap up warm else you'll get a cold – lies or the truth’ is closed to new replies.