Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Wow the world is full of idiots…!
  • Notter
    Free Member

http://www.theguardian.com/business/video/2015/oct/26/selfies-on-railway-tracks-network-rail-safety-video

How long until we hear of a tragic person -> train interface on this crossing, probably alcohol aided!

garage-dweller

😯

swavis

Some contenders for the Darwin award right there!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I didn’t see one train or one near miss, just a lot of people taking selfies on a train line with no clear danger.
    Yes, there are some idiots in this world, nanny state scaremongerers being one example.

Notter
    Free Member

Hence the alcohol induced reference in my post CS. Hardly nanny state though is it?!!

jam-bo

2 trains an hour on a single line track.

I’d risk it…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

there’s a gif for this

toby1

Sir, I believe there is a small storm forming in your teacup.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Not a massive risk, maybe – but what’s the reward?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Nearly one dead a day on the railways, low risk for you as an individual but a huge massive ginormous frickin’ pain in the harris for network rail. Anything they can do to prevent people getting squished they’ll have a go at (up to a cost), not ‘cos they care about people necessarily but operationally its a nightmare.

nealglover
    Free Member

How long until we hear of a tragic person -> train interface on this crossing, probably alcohol aided!

Shall we have a sweepstake ?

I’ll go for “not this century” please.

And the only reason I’m not going for “never” is because I could never claim my winnings.

What’s your guess ?

midlifecrashes

I know if you stand at the right spot for a photo in Matlock Bath you’ll have the cable cars going up to the Heights of Abraham heading up over your head. I’m not sure if the best angle for the photo would be on the crossing though, I can’t remember the exact layout. It would be handy to see one of the photos these folk are taking. It might just be that they are not used to getting out and about in the countryside that the idea of standing on the train tracks is novelty enough. If you live in most of the UK’s cities you wouldn’t even see a barrier controlled level crossing never mind walk onto the tracks yourself as the way to switch platforms.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m just disappointed that nobody lay down with their head on one side of the tracks and their feet on the other. Better yet with some ropes pre-tied around legs and arms and shouting “he-elp, he-elp”.

MSP

If they know the crossing is dangerous, maybe they should do something to make it safer like a footbridge.

franksinatra

very interested to understand what the attraction is there with that crossing, there must be some relevance to make it a popular selfie spot.

edit: just seen this on the beeb

The station is in a picturesque location and was built in the style of a Swiss chalet, which could explain why people are so keen to have their photo taken there.

SaxonRider

I didn’t see one train or one near miss, just a lot of people taking selfies on a train line with no clear danger.
    Yes, there are some idiots in this world, nanny state scaremongerers being one example.

I’m in agreement with this, pace your alcohol qualifier, Notter.

This said, my childhood almost literally looked like this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kz30qGzx1U[/video]

tomhoward

Don’t see how it’s any different to folk talking pics at the Abbey Road zebra crossing. Don’t think anyone has been killed to death there as a result of stopping to take pics? Busy road plus more popular tourist spot too I’d wager.

I’ll go for “not this century” please

And the only reason I’m not going for “never” is because I could never claim my winnings

Another 85 years? I’d bet on you not claiming those winnings either, despite not being able to claim my winnings

oldnpastit

Another 85 years? I’d bet on you not claiming those winnings either.

Neal just needs to be one of the first people on board an interstellar craft to the next star system, accelerate up to a sizeable fraction of c and he can easily come back at the end of the century and claim his winnings only a few years older than he is now.

So I wouldn’t bet on that at all.

nealglover
    Free Member

Another 85 years? I’d bet on you not claiming those winnings either

I’ll be fine 😆

I’ve given pies and fags.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, but he’ll need the evidence of his post on here, and I wouldn’t put money on this forum not getting hacked again for another 10 years, let alone 85.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Idiots, two trains an hour not including On track machines, freights and empty stock movements. Crossings are usually only dangerous because the public are very stupid when it comes to safety and seem to think hundreds of tonnes of steel can stop on a postage stamp or that a 25kv OHL system will turn itself off if you scream loud enough after touching it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d be very surprised if anyone got electrocuted by a 25kV source considering it’s an unelectrified line.

konabunny
    Free Member

toby1 – Member
    Sir, I believe there is a small storm forming in your teacup.
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Capputeano?

nealglover
    Free Member

id be very surprised if anyone got electrocuted by a 25kV source considering it’s an unelectrified l

Yeah, but you can prove anything with “facts” can’t you !

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s matlock bath, they are strange folk who think they live in a seaside town 😆 and the trains will be doing bugger all speed at that point. Not that it makes it any less stupid!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member

I’d be very surprised if anyone got electrocuted by a 25kV source considering it’s an unelectrified line.
    Don’t you understand how this control through fear works? Facts have nothing to do with it, what might happen is everything.

miketually
    Free Member

We’re missing the bigger point here. They’re not taking selfies!

If somebody else is taking the photograph, it’s not a selfies.

aracer
    Free Member

At least one of them is

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d imagaine the op sends his children out to play dressed a bit like this! 😆

Notter
    Free Member

Crickey, we’ve got a bit out of hand here, the missing smiley has made you all think I am the nanny of nanny state. I do wear my tinfoil hat, pollution mask and make sure the dash cams fully charged on every outing however…. 😉

Seosamh – no kids to do that to I’m afraid, I’d go mental if, when I do have them, they take selfies 🙂

And to qualify it all again – 🙂 🙂 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

Welcome to Edinburgh.

Please drive safely.

Notter
    Free Member

Lol, fair enough!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Wow the world is full of idiots…!’ is closed to new replies.