Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • WOW – RS Revelations
  • the_lecht_rocks

been on Fox for too long obviously.

fresh out of the box RS Revelation 29″ dual air RCT3’s and they’re STUNNING.

20mm BT is noticeably stiffer than a honeymooners chopper and the damping is utterly sublime.

well impressed and to add to the happines they were half price at CRC 🙂

wwaswas

I’m pleased to hear that – I’m in the process of fitting them to my Titus Fireline thingy 🙂

lehutch
    Free Member

stiffer than a honeymooners chopper

Giggle 😆

legend
    Free Member

Revelations are nice, but dual air is just an unnecessary pain in the arse imo

the_lecht_rocks

wwaswas, firtted to my nicolai, my float 120 29ers are getting fitted to my Fileline 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

How much better is the damping than the rlt? How does either compare to a float r?

the_lecht_rocks

fox is extremely linear whereas the rs feels coil like, excellent midstroke, but fantastically stiff through the 20mm maxle – superb allround..

geetee1972
    Free Member

Coils springs are inherently linear so if the Fox feels linear then it also feels co like.

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s not, IMO. It gives you an extra layer of tweaking possibilities (soft vs firmer sitting higher in travel), so it’s kinda disappointing that they’ve ‘dumbed down’ and got rid of dual air (at least for 2013 Revs).

the_lecht_rocks

a coil is progressive, how is that linear ?

D0NK

Coil is always linear according to bike magazines thru the ages (IANAengineer)

unless its a progressive coil, seem to recall eibach did some way back.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Dual Air too. Makes it so easy to set the suspension up to how you want it.
    Revs are great and wish I never got rid of mine but it was toss up between them and the Lyriks.

geetee1972
    Free Member

A coil requires the same amount of force to compress one inch at the start of the stroke as it does at the end of the stoke, hence it is linear.

An air spring does the opposite; at the end of the stroke you’ll need considerably more force to compress the same inch of travel as you did at the beginning and the smaller the volume the more pronounced that effect will be.

Northwind

legend – Member

depends. If you want the character provided by the solo air spring, it’s unnecessary. If you want something a bit different, then it’s useful.

And yep, according to that nice Mr Hooke, coils are inherently linear. You can make them progressive by varying the wind.

the_lecht_rocks

fox coils are always progressive

singlespeedstu

I’ve got the Rev RCT3 29er and the Fox 34 Float 29er.

The 34 is stiffer by a country mile.

Northwind

the_lecht_rocks – Member

Sauce?

the_lecht_rocks

heinz or hp ?

the_lecht_rocks

stu – seriously ? wow, i thought the rev was superb cf the fox 32 29er float ! ?!

Kryton57

I thought dual air in some Revs I had once was great. Much harder to setup Sids IMO.

D0NK

ah we’ll that’s a different statement, dunno, I know my fox vans circa 03 were lovely forks, felt spot on spring wise. All air forks now, doesn’t feel as good but damping, weight and stiffness have improved since then.

singlespeedstu

The 34 pisses all over the Rev. 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

mmmmmmmmmmmm

may have one in 12 months then.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Just fitted revelation RCT3’s to my new Nicolai AC…they are feeling better than the older ones i had.Damping is feeling amazing.

Havent had enough time to compare them to the Bos Devilles that i have been using for the last year and a bit.

Northwind

Let me rephrase that. Fox coils are not all progressive. Why do you think they are?

svalgis
    Free Member

OP, would you say that they are a revelation? Ahaha ha ha…

martinxyz
    Free Member

Yep, and they amazed the living daylights out of him.

the_lecht_rocks

yep, revelationary, seriously….

sam – thoughts ? CRC supply ?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

TLR-

Only have 30 miles on them.

Not from CRC.i work in a bike shop.

So far they feel very good,No mid travel blow through like the older ones i had.
    Would have liked 20mm but had 15mm,and they seem stiff for a 32mm fork.
    I did a lower leg service before fitting aswell,Actually had oil in them..

Superficial
    Free Member

An air spring does the opposite; at the end of the stroke you’ll need considerably more force to compress the same inch of travel as you did at the beginning and the smaller the volume the more pronounced that effect will be.

That’s true if you’ve only got one chamber (what RockShox would call the ‘positive’ chamber). But RS and Fox both have two chambers with finely controlled relative volumes which change at varying rates as the fork goes through its travel. And of course all of this is fine-tuned by the compression damping.

IMO a fully linear fork isn’t what you’d want anyway – Most people seem to have the idea that coil forks are better because they feel great in the first inch or so of travel, whereas early air forks (and all Fox air forks until recently) all felt a bit wrong, too firm in the first part of travel / never used all the travel. Air forks these days are far better and the difference between coil and air is no longer night and day.

Northwind

Yep, must admit I was astonished by how close my air lyrik came to my coil one- still prefer the coil, for my purposes, but it’s impressive. (I think it helps to have such a mahoosive spring tbh!)

Also, even on coil forks the fork leg’s effectively a low pressure air spring. Used to have fun playing around with air gaps in cheap motorbike forks trying to make them work better.

Kryton57

I haven’t had a fork that’ll touch my f120 RLC fit.

But for sheer ok’ness, and generally acceptable bombproof performance I have an RS Recon 351 coil (original Rev chassis) which just seems to go on and on. Currently fitted to my SS. Simple, u turn, reliable and it works.

hairyscary

Northwind – Member

Also, even on coil forks the fork leg’s effectively a low pressure air spring. Used to have fun playing around with air gaps in cheap motorbike forks trying to make them work better.

*thinks back to when TJ used to visit suspension threads*

Edit…I agree with you and him.

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t wait to test the new revs I’ve put on the 5 spot.

Northwind

hairyscary – Member

Edit…I agree with you and him.

You shouldn’t, the bit where I said it was fun was a total lie.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘WOW – RS Revelations’ is closed to new replies.