• This topic has 79 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Si.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Wow, Dartmoor today was like a silky smooth bowling green at times – pics
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

@ Si – what all the bowermans about? Missed that? Email in profile 🙂

tim41
    Free Member

Si – looks like an upgrade for vehicle access to a field adjacent to the gate. Go to gis.devon.gov.uk and zoom in – the track upgrade is already marked!

Shinythings
    Free Member

Which bit you looking at Tim? All I can see is the bridleway down to Hayne farm and A footpath across a field near the crossroads I've not seen before.From older maps the bottom of the BW has historicaly been an extension of the lane. So, if it has been regraded to regain access to the fields [could be a typical Devon problem whereby the lovely old barns,etc are bought and converted into posh houses, but of course, they don't want dirty farmers going past their new property to get to his fields! The farmers then need to find alternative access]then that is just our hard luck, but if it's been done for the benefit of horseriders, then that's something to complain about, because it's unnecessary destruction.

I reckon that we should all mail queries, etc anyway as this will, at least, ensure the authorities are aware that MTBers care and notice what goes on.

You can tell I'm borerd can't you 😯

Si, never mind my pain and discomfort eh!! just so long as Cycleguy is still operating, eh?? 🙄

trailmonkey

Never mind your fettling arm Jim, with all that time on your hands and unlimited internet access, it would be a travesty if you've borked your thrapping arm.

Burchy1
    Free Member

And he's back… 😀

Kamikirk
    Free Member

My sinecere condoloncies Jim, we are both **** with broken wrists it seems – still it's early enough in the season we wont miss out totally. can't wait for June.

toys19
    Free Member

And me broke my scaphoid on the 7th..

Shinythings
    Free Member

Yes, roll on about June! I miss riding already! Anyway, April and May are gonna have the worst weather ever!

TM, Thrapping arm? Ah, yes, The Master of Onanism.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Heal fast Jim, are you plastered?

snaps
    Free Member

Get well soon Jim – at least it's not as disfiguring as the Snowdonia hair injury 😯

eviljoe
    Free Member

Went up to Houndtor this morning- was gorgeous. Just me, the sun, ponies, deer, and Led Zep.

Houndtor- 'How many more Times'
    Black Hill – 'What is and what should Never Be'
    Yarner Wood 'Moby Dick'
    Houndtor Wood 'Immigrant Song'
    Lustleigh Cleave 'Stairway to Heaven'

Ramble On indeed….

Does anyone else find Lustleigh Cleave a bit underwhelming? Ridden East to West it just seems a bit slow.. The trail above it however (Hunters Tour- Sharpitor) rocks

sharki
    Free Member

I love the run from Manaton up past the hobbit house and the wet arse ride down to the old bridge is just amazing….east to west has nice bits but really is just a way to get up top to Hunters and descend from there to nutcrackers trails.

qwerty
    Free Member

take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, take bike to in laws, must …

sharki
    Free Member

Just bloody move this way Martin, you can sell the cx then 😉

Shinythings
    Free Member

Looks like just a sling so as to keep some mobility in the joint. If there were any splinters, multiples, etc, they would have admitted me, so I presume its a clean break. Got Fracture clinic tmrw and hoping they'll tell me to stay as I am.
    Tell you what tho, I wish I could sleep in any other position than angled on my back 😥

At least I caught the perfect conditions before this weeks weather change….. and while I'm here and bored lets have a Favelist of your best moor trail, it's clear which one Sharki likes!

Mine's not what you'd expect and most on here won't know it.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Right, here we go….this may well spark some interest in newbies to the moor.

Current fave loop: Vennford/Dartmeet/Babeny about 40k and a brilliant mix of tech, singletrack, open, rock and a superb fast DH to the car.

Current fave stand-alone trail: Black death into Plague.

yunki
    Free Member

Hello dartmoor fans.. firstly… sorry to hear about your accident Jim.. (funny as it sounded from here)… hope you get back on the bike soon..

Thanks for the Revs… I'm loving them to bits (not literally yet).. they are a vast improvement as I've only really ever had the joy of a budget fork before..

I'm jumping in on this forum cos my regular riding buddy has had his free time seriously curtailed due to increased work commitments this spring… so our exploration of the Devon coast and moorland has tailed off considerably and I'm getting a bit of cabin fever..

We haven't really gotten very far with Dartmoor at all and it would be really cool if I could tag along on any rides in the interest of learning a few more trails up there..

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Im fond of Hound to Grimspound, back over Bowermans way to i dunno. Tim and the guys took me that way last year and it was fun and incredibly beautiful.. tad too hot a day but the Bluebells were fantastic.

Come June hope to do it again and explore more.. <looks for fast forward button> 🙂

Shinythings
    Free Member

Yunki, yeah they're a good fork, you'll need to play with Pos/Neg for a while to suit you. As for joining rides; just mail one of the usual suspects, there is always some sort of ride on every wknd.

Kamikirk, We sort of take that route for granted as it's on our doorstep and we use it as a trunk route to other areas. But it's still one of the alltime classics.

foxyrider
    Free Member

My fav at the mo is Haytor over to Howell tor along the Tram way – howell lawn to Hound Tor Jayes Grave – Hammelldown – Widdicome – back up to Bell Tor via bone hill then back across to howell down – hound tor greator rocks – up from leighon and down to the Haytor road via the coppices then down the pony field to the pump station and home to Bovey (my wife drops me off at Haytor or I ride up to Haytor via the Vale road) 🙂

trailmonkey

This is my favourite, don't get to do it much as it seems to have fallen out of favour with the crew but it has a bit of everything.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Mine varies but for ease of access from the front door riding last nights was pretty good.

Rode from Plymouth out to Burrator, up the widowmaker, right at the top past Nuns Cross and down to Ditsworthy, back to Burrator, groundhog day (the wrong way) plus some other cheeky stuff and then ride back home, about 30 miles.

Few others out and buzzed by a sea king after watching the crew perform a troop / rescue pick up just below Eylesbarrow not that far from where we'd sat to sort out light problems.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Vitifer eh! Forgotten the last time we did that. Reckon we've ridden up it more than down now Canyons into Golden triangle is in favour.

carlphillips
    Free Member

shinythings, could you contact me re some routes please. ? need smoe inspiration and some tweeking advice on my staple favourites.

yunki. there is a group of us from outskirts of plymuff that go out regularly, just email me

Burchy1
    Free Member

I always enjoy the Hound Tor traverse (Right, Right option. None of this left-turn uphill nonsense). Top half of Easdon is fun aswell.

tim41
    Free Member

Dave – That'll be the Hound Tor 'descent to the cattle grid' downhill nonsense then. Nowt wrong with that, but it's not a traverse! The right, left option doesn't go uphill (well only a little bit), it traverses – therefore the true Hound Tor 'traverse' HTH 🙂

Agree on the top half of Easdon. Plus a vote for Combe Down. But you can't beat Birch, Canyons then into the golden triangle.

Burchy1
    Free Member

But you can't beat Birch, Canyons then into the golden triangle.

I'm gonna go against the majority there and say that 'rib poppa' although shorter than Canyons etc is a better run down.

Del

when your opinion is important we'll tell you. 😀
    make sure you get to fire an AK while you're in 'nam!

Shinythings
    Free Member

Dave, Dave, Dave!! 🙄 Little things please little minds is it??

Canyons/Triangle was nearly my first choice and Yar/Bench was close but too cheeky. On a good day, Hameldown extra long and the shute is hard to beat.

Phillips, be glad to suggest extra bits, but a few here have Memory map routes they could mail to you.

slugwash
    Free Member

shinyslings earlier today…..

Shinythings
    Free Member

Del, forgot he was going there. He'll be coming back wearing a bandana and muttering "You weren't there man!" whilst wearing a 'genuine' Rolex. 😀

snaps
    Free Member
    sharki
    Free Member

Hmmmm! another Jays grave?

carlphillips
    Free Member

all memory map or tracklog routes gratefully recieved.

wtf is birch, canyons and golden triangle its not like the golden rivet on a ship is it? <shudders reliving horrid apprentice moment with my dirty old man>

slugwash
    Free Member

Jim's asked me to post up an X-ray of his dismembered limb as he's finding it a bit hard to sit up in his bed at the moment let alone grapple with a keyboard. Shocking stuff! I'll be suprised if he'll ever be able to change a set of brake pads ever again 😉

Turn away now if you're in the slightest bit sqeamish………..

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah slugwash, I think I would need to know what a normal one looks like before going eugh at that one!

Si
    Free Member

Just too much to name….

Smallacombe through to the Dell.
    Nutcracker all the way to the gate
    Bench Tor to the Dart
    Easdon when its rollin good
    Bowermans. Shame about the regrading, but the top section is still awesome

And Ive been havin lots of missed calls from the ROW Officer. But if anyone else wants to mail in to add some pressure please do so. Both Bowermans and Easdon are on my agenda….

Si
    Free Member

Foxy Rider interestin….

Do you drop down the tight tech switchbacks at the back of Holwell Tor to the River, cross it then up Holwell lawn?

Holwell Lawn in itself from Greator Rocks is a great descent too.

Just a shame a can't find an easy way to get from the bottom of Holwell Lawn out towards the road at Top Tor before linkin back in to get to ride the Holwell Tor switchbacks too…

carlphillips
    Free Member

ooh never done bench tor to the dart…shame on me i used to rockclimb up there quite a bit too…gonna go have a looksie at the map see if i can make a circular route out of it..

oh and no routes have been pushed my way yet…hint hint!!

Si
    Free Member

One for those in the know as the maps dont help 😉 …. Big day out if you add Belever in too.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Wow, Dartmoor today was like a silky smooth bowling green at times – pics’ is closed to new replies.