• This topic has 42 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Wow adrenaline spike – just got roadraged
  • D0NK

Heading up a street, passing a big truck the car parked ahead of it pulls out infront of me, meh, slow down and get in behind him. Next (stop) junction he is indicating left so I go around the right him straight on. He then decides to go straight ahead aswell and comes up behind/inside of me. I look around and make comment about him indicating left (with flappy arm movements and everything) not angrily, I was just pointing out how we got into this situation, he backs off a little so I pull back in to the left, he beeps at me so I automatically give him the finger. (yes I know, I forgot the “we shall not allow these people to pollute our minds with anger” mantra)

Cue revving of engine, speeding passed handbrake turn to attempt to block the road and him jumping out shouting “come on then!”, being a blackbelt pacifist I of course keep my head down and pedal away, proper buzzing of the adrenaline now, no doubt I will be mightily pissed off about it when it wears off.

davidrussell
    Free Member

Is this you?

Seriously if i had blackbelt skills and some had just done that to me i’d see it as an invitation to treat 🙂

devash
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it. He’ll be dead from poor diet / drinking / smoking / heart attack from stress long before you.

Pity the working man.

D0NK

Seriously if i had blackbelt skills

blackbelt in pacifism ie couldn’t fight my way out of a damp paper bag.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Classic STW misread on the first reply…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Some people can get very angry.. very quickly.
    Don’t let it effect / affect your day.

stumpy01

No one these days wants to hold there hand up and admit they have made a mistake. It will always be someone elses fault, so unfortunately gesticulating at these people will always get an aggressive response.

I had a situation on the bike where a woman virtually ran me over at a mini-roundabout, so desperate to get past me and turn left that she pretty much side swiped me. I gave her the ‘shaky coffee beans’ symbol to which she reversed at me, got out the car and said it was a shame she hadn’t run me over before calling me a ‘disgusting little human being’ for making the ‘shaky coffee bean’ symbol at her. So, even though she had almost just run me over, then reversed at me, then said it was a shame she hadn’t run me over, I was the disgusting human being (she was in an Audi).

But, similarly you get it in the car as well.
    Toot at someone who’s on the phone and veering into your lane – your fault & abuse.
    Take evasive action when someone has straightlined a roundabout, nearly taking you out and give them a toot – your fault & abuse.
    Toot at the person who hasn’t checked his blind spot and is pulling into the side of you – your fault & abuse.

No one seems willing to hold there hand up and apologise for being a dick.

davidrussell
    Free Member

Classic STW misread on the first reply…

indeed, its not even that early 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Why gesticulate in the first place? The moment you start doing that you are almost inviting this sort of moronic response. (Not saying in any way that OP is to blame here before I get flamed!)

D0NK

Why gesticulate in the first place?

merely pointing out to him that the reason I overtook him at the junction was due to him indicating left. If he hadn’t been indicating I’d have waited behind him. “Your actions got us into this situation so don’t get pissy at me” that may be a lot to convey with a bit of flapping of your left arm but that was the intended message, who knows maybe his beeping was meant as “I pip my horn to acknowledge that fact sir, apologies”

But I’d wager it was “whatever mate, now GTF out of my way”
    🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

who knows maybe his beeping was meant as “I pip my horn to acknowledge that fact sir, apologies”

So many ambiguous gestures going on (well, up to the point that you gave him the finger!)

D0NK

I was merely pointing up at the glorious cloud free sky and commenting that it looked like being a lovely day. (upto the point that he handbraked infront of me)

😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Usually best just to keep your hands on your bars 🙂

jamesfts
    Free Member

Completely ignore people indicating until you see that the car is doing what the indication suggests. I wouldn’t pull out at a junction just because a car coming is indicating to turn off, well not until you see it braking and starting to make the manoeuvre.

A lot of drivers don’t use them at all and a good chunk of those that do seem to be fairly clueless about how to operate them.

That doesn’t excuse the guy’s behaviour though, you do get the odd worked up bellend.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Next Tuesday i shall teach you the way of the Iron Fist 😉

Never anything you can do correctly in these situations and as noted no one ever admits they were in the wrong and just says sorry…its very much like internet forums in that experience

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Some nob in Keswick last week pulled out on me on a roundabout; then got out of his car screaming that it was ‘illegal to turn right on a roundabout’. ie Clockwise.

Some peeps have real issues in their lives, and choose to vent their frustrations on strangers they meet on the road.

MoreCashThanDash

I feel no satisfaction that the last driver I had an exchange of views with ended up with a caution for the subsequent assault.

So long as you and your bike are ok, don’t make their problems your problems. And assume every other person on the road, however they travel, is an idiot.

scandal42
    Free Member

Arseholes as far as the eye can see in this country, it’s swimming with them.

kayla1
    Free Member

Yep. You were able to cycle off, happy in the knowledge that you aren’t hemmed in on a bicycle and can potter off at your own pace in whatever direction you like and he wasn’t. He was in a tin box, probably driving to be somewhere he hates for 8 hours per day, five days a week, to pay for the tin box he was driving in…

😀

zilog6128

Usually best just to keep your hands on your bars

This

GrahamS

got out of his car screaming that it was ‘illegal to turn right on a roundabout’. ie Clockwise.

What the…?

That is beyond stupid – did he care to explain how roundabouts worked in his world??

ransos
    Free Member

Why gesticulate in the first place?

It’s an instinctive reaction in the heat of the moment. I don’t think any of us think it achieves anything when analysing it rationally.

I’ve been guilty myself on a few occassions. There’s nothing like a car chasing you down to increase your speed…

DezB
    Free Member

These morons are everywhere! Bloke in a Passat, aggressively pulled out of a left hand side road yesterday as I was approaching. Parked cars on the right, but he still drove straight at me forcing me into the kerb. “Oi” shouts I. “**** off” shouts he, because of course, it was me who was in the wrong.
    Now, this side-street is a minute’s walk from my front door. So if he lives there, I will find his car and his little sweary will cost him money.

Lifer
    Free Member

Just wee in his vents.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Every day other drivers on the road remind me what selfish arseholes many people (not all, but many) actually are.

Kryton57

I has a similar but worse situation to your’s this year, posted previously. I didn’t update that thread, you may remember (essex Mason’s type gentleman near runs me off the road and threatens to beat the shit out of me becuase I took a photo of his car).

You should have restrained yourself, but the conclusion to mine was the police considered hi actions a) dangerous driving b) potential of causing harm with a deadly weapon and c)unsociable and threatening behaviour.

Your’s is possible a & b but you haven’t helped yourself. In my case they located the chap and were abouot to lay charges on him when he passed away.

Keep calm and report it if goes beyond a polite misunderstanding/conversation/apology from either of you.

GrahamS

they located the chap and were abouot to lay charges on him when he passed away.

That’ll learn him. Good work!

Kryton57

Not Guilty your honour, although I do wonder if the Masons hierachy had him “bumped” for leading the local force to their doorstep…

nedrapier

I’m taking the liberating insight from the chap on the “selfish people on shared use paths” thread that 1/3 of people are shits. no point stewing over it.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

did he care to explain how roundabouts worked in his world??

It’s best not to try and think like they do; it’s a scary thing.

And if you have to break down how a roundabout works to such small pieces to fit in their brains; it’s never going to come together; like a 1000-piece jigsaw.

devash
    Free Member

Not Guilty your honour, although I do wonder if the Masons hierachy had him “bumped” for leading the local force to their doorstep…

Most police chiefs are in the Masons though. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

this^^^

I had a guy get out his car scraminfg at me

Him” Its a **** give way Dickhead”
    ME- I pointed to his road and said
    ” that is a stop sign”
    Him =Its a **** give way Dickhead”
    Me – You have to stop, did you?
    Him – Its a **** give way Dickhead”
    Me- laughter
    Him – more anger and threatens assault

FWIW he is a little sheepish when he collect his son from outside school these days but he has not apologised but he is embarrassed.
    It did not happen outside school and we were both in cars.

Dickyboy

Try & imagine the scenario that the person is actually on their way to the same meeting as you – kinda quells the urge to make any hand or finger signals

GrahamS

Every time I read one of these threads I marvel that we don’t have legally enforced re-testing at regular intervals (say every 5 years).

If you worked in a factory and had to operate some machinery that injured nearly 200,000 people a year then Health&Safety would quite rightly insist that you were regularly retested on it.

D0NK

Next Tuesday i shall teach you the way of the Iron Fist

I think I’ll always be a tower of steel* (strength?) kinda guy.

Yes I should have kept my hands on the bars and serenely carried on my way, I am but human. The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection.

*For those like me who don’t do fighting: You know that oh so manly move you pull on the footy pitch when someone blooters the ball straight at you, one knee raised and turned to cover your crotch, forearms raised to cover your face/chest?

that’s an official martial arts move that is – who knew?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Arseholes as far as the eye can see in this country, it’s swimming with them.

This plus lots. Everyone is so wrapped up in their own little worlds that no-one gives a damn about anyone else anymore, it’s all me, me, ME! So when you enter their cocoon you are fair game for abuse and threats even when you have done nothing wrong.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dont turn , you are trying to knee them in the stomach

globalti
    Free Member

I’m usually mild-mannered but a couple of weeks someone cut me up so I made a gesture of despair and he reciprocated by giving me the finger. The speed of his reaction told me he was expecting to do it to me and his gesture really bugged me, so for about a minute I’d have gladly kicked off his mirror or punched him.

Don’t escalate conflict, there are some nasty, stressed, unbalanced people out there and being in a car makes everybody worse. It certainly makes me un-characteristically angry at times.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Learn this trick
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRy_adiaIlc[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Try & imagine the scenario that the person is actually on their way to the same meeting as you – kinda quells the urge to make any hand or finger signals

Or in my case, he’s on his way to the same office as you to sit 3 desks away and have to work with you… 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Wow adrenaline spike – just got roadraged’ is closed to new replies.