Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wouldn't a CX bike be better with flat bars and thumb shifters?
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Or not?

steezysix
    Free Member

And suspension forks and fat tyres? Oh wait…

meehaja
    Free Member

Isn’t that just a rigid 29er?

Next..

oldgit
    Free Member

Well first of all you’d loose the in the drops race position, it makes a difference even on Cx circuits.

damo2576
    Free Member

Yeah I guess I can’t see the drop position being that advantageous cf extra control from flat bars. Maybe I should ride a CX bike.

paddy0091
    Free Member

depends what you mean by better, it’d be a tad slower. It’d also loose the identity of a CX bike..

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah I guess I can’t see the drop position being that advantageous cf extra control from flat bars. Maybe I should ride a CX bike.

If you’re chasing someone down the side of a football pitch into a headwind i.e any typical CX race, you’d want to be in the drops. And likewise to get as much speed as possible at any other opportunity.
    Comfort simply doesn’t factor.

Rorschach
    Free Member

No

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

thats just a hybrid. im with oldgit on this, i would much rather be on the drops in a head wind (seems to be all the way round the football pitch) and there is no such thing as comfort in a cx race!

Clover

[/url]
    Rock Lobster on the MaryT by BeateKubitz, on Flickr[/img]

You mean like this? Great for blatting around local bridleways. Wouldn’t race* on it though.

*Wait a minute… I admitted to racing. Please ignore that bit, I’m in denial.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Wheres the fun in cycling around a football pitch?

damo2576
    Free Member

I guess it goes back to when I rode in the 90’s, did a lot of the riding people do on CX bikes now but on 26″ wheels with Specialized Hardpack 1.25″ tyres and cut down bars. Was a quick bike.

falkirk-mark

Have we not just went full circle here.

GW
    Free Member

why not leave the steerer long enough to fit another (shorter) stem above the roadie one and fit some flat/low riser bars.
    Best of both worlds 😉

jonba
    Free Member

It’s been done by the late, great, Sheldon Brown

http://sheldonbrown.org/thorn/index.html

meehaja
    Free Member

Oh Sheldon. Ever the master of function over form.

bentudder

MY EYES! AAARGH!

Stainypants

Stainypants

slow ?

convert

Must be me – I always switch down to the drops on my cx bike if not already there for the techy bits (well cx capable techy bits) as I feel more confident there – lower C of G?

oldgit
    Free Member

Fast

antigee

Must be me – I always switch down to the drops on my cx bike if not already there for the techy bits

priorities= brain lower than balls?

jonba
    Free Member

convert – Member
    Must be me – I always switch down to the drops on my cx bike if not already there for the techy bits (well cx capable techy bits) as I feel more confident there – lower C of G?

as do I

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

convert – Member

As do I, mainly to get the most leverage on the brake levers, hence most braking power.

convert

There are brakes on a cx bike? 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

They’re only for ‘show’

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wouldn't a CX bike be better with flat bars and thumb shifters?’ is closed to new replies.