Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • would you vote for Obama?
  • Wookster

A lot of the us public seem to very quite anti him as president.

I find him very compelling ,creditable and trustworthy (cant believe the last one) and would have hime over any of the recent pm’s so I would with out a second thought……….have I lost it!?!

EdIt SH*te wrong forum sorry cant see how to move it

edit 2 thanks MODS!!

grievoustim
    Free Member

yes – I like him and would vote for him

I’m frustrated by his lack of teeth in standing up to the republicans though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes.

woody2000

It’s because he’s told them the truth (and they can’t handle the truth 😀 ) if you ask me. The US of A is as fecked as everyone else financially, but no-one there wants to hear it. They want someone to tell them it’s ok to carry on as they were, that they’re America and f*ck everyone else!

I’d vote for him

IMO

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yes

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, because he’s intelligent, reasonable and competent.

Unfortunately he’s the President at a time of global economic turmoil, so it’s far too easy for the unscrupulous scumbag spindoctors of his opposition to pin it all on him.

Carter was another good man who got sent packing because he told people how it really was, not what people thought they wanted to hear. He told people that perhaps they might have to start consuming a bit less, and they were utterly horrified. People thought they were entitled to consume whatever they felt like.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

yes
    ..and i think the americans knew they were in a recession, but they thought voting for obama would solve evrything and just failed to realise how long it takes to climb out of the hole they’re in. i wonder if Obama sold them on “change” and when nothing changed quickly enough, they bought into it again, only with a divided government even less will change, and obama will still be the figurehead, so more change next time.

president palin, anyone?

mogrim

Probably, for lack of a credible alternative. Can’t stand the way he preaches, though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“How’s the ‘Hope-y Change-y thing’ going for ya?”

loddrik
    Free Member

Definitely. I find the American right wing abhorrent and downright sinister. Speaking as a resolutely left wing European, they and there policies are scary as hell !!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Given the choice? Obama or McCain / palin?

Wookster

woppit, if he cant get things through parliament or the house in this case what do you expect? I think if it were not for thr recession he could have made a huge difference….

Pailin will just drag us all into a war……….the US right is just mental. IMHO

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t understand how the USA can function as polarised as it is.

Although in many ways, it doesn’t.

Btw bear in mind that the Tea Party lot are not the same as the mainstream Republicans – the mainstream have even gone on record as saying they are nutters.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

They’re looking forward to QE2, seeing as how – Oh! – QE1 has failed miserably.

“I know, let’s do it again, it’s BOUND to work second time around…”

Meanwhile, the BofE have stuck our own QE2 on the back burner because the economy is picking up, our credit rating is back to triple-A and job vacancies are being filled left right and centre…

Would I vote for him or Palin? No. I’d emigrate.

mboy
    Free Member

Obama is a decent, moderate man, running a country full of extremists. He’s got into trouble for telling the truth about everything, cos the US public would rather bury their heads in the sand. He’s got into trouble for trying to SPEND money on public services (dear god no!!! 😉 ) including healthcare. He has inherited the nightmare situation that George Bush created, and is getting a lot of the blame for it himself as people didn’t realise how bad the situation was before.

I find it so strange that America has only 2 real main parties, and that the ideals of Obama and the Democrats would get voted in by a landslide if they were in the UK, but that in America where extremist views are still very prominent (whether they be right wing, left wing, racist, sexist, homophobic, pro war, etc etc.) and they ALL vote for the same party… The Republicans!

Maybe Nick Griffin should have emigrated to the US years ago, he’d fit right in and would no doubt have had a very prominent political career out there!

big_scot_nanny

Actually, it has been interesting to spend time with Americans recently and hear their opinion. I feel like most of you, he seems a decent bloke, decent policies that make sense, and a nice change in style from the last few US presidents (esp. Bush of course).

However, and maybe this is because my colleagues are all white collar, they HATE Obama. Most voted for him, but now they say that everything out of his mouth is lies, and that the country is too large and diverse for the style of big goverment he is advocating.

I cannot validate the comment about lying, but the piece on big goverment I get. It costs a lot of money, is inneficient and is open to corruption on a biiiiig scale. Think the EU and the member countries. We hate the EU!

tres interesting!
    Kev

iDave
    Free Member

julianwilson
    Free Member

We hate the EU!

Is that a ‘royal we’, Kev?

I like the EU.

And (back on topic, sorry) I like and would vote for Obama.

Kuco

No about the only thing imo he seems good at is campaigning.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

I would, did, and probably will vote for Obama.
    It’s interesting to read what others think and feel about him. It’s always easier from the outside. I really agree with the idea that other Americans are looking for change and were expecting big changes/fast changes and what they’ve got is a level headed leader who is trying to implement the right changes.
    I’ve got my concerns about things moving too fast like they currently are over here. If you move too fast you cannot see the cause and effect very well.

grievoustim
    Free Member

big_scot-nanny

sounds like your colleagues watch fox news

molgrips
    Free Member

It costs a lot of money, is inneficient and is open to corruption on a biiiiig scale

That sounds like the current system to me!

The US political system is pretty damn corrupt as far as I can see. Big businesses pay money to have people schmooze the people in power, who then scupper anything that not be pandering to the whims of the people – regardless of how badly it’s needed by various technical bits of skullduggery. So nothing can get done, things carry on as they are and businessmen make obscene amounts of cash by doing almost whatever the hell they like. Meanwhile sections of the population have to deal with shocking deprivation and poverty, and many people seem to think it’s their own fault for not trying hard enough.

big_scot_nanny

Maybe, but it is a pretty commonly held view. And actualyl they were defending fox news… maybe there is a patern emerging! 🙂

julianwilson – Member

We hate the EU!

Is that a ‘royal we’, Kev?

I like the EU.

Ah, yes, as an embittered scot now living in massively anti-EU Switzerland, I may have jumped to a conclusion on that one. soz!

Waderider
    Free Member

First apologies to any Americans reading this. I am only partially informed and shouldn’t be making sweeping generalisations about a country I’ve never visited.

I think Americas seaboards are populated by reasonable people. The Democratic heartland. But the middle (*cough* Lance Armstrong) is populated by ill educated fools that are in mindset similar to ‘our’ fools that parade topless drapped in England flags. An underclass in my opinion. The Republican party has evolved to reflect the viewpoint of the scum to win their votes. Power corrupts ultimately and all that. So every election is a battle between the trailer trash and the middle class SanFrans and NeuYorkers.

The problem is a two party system (the Tea Party is a flash in the pan)….no number is better for polarisation than two, and democracy is ill worldwide. In time the USA will disappear up it’s own arse, with Republican voters living in bunkers consumed by paranoia, fear, and xenophobia. The union shall become weaker and seaboard states will become more enlightened ‘countries’ with a progressive more wholesome attitude to the world. The way California is evolving demonstrates this.

Perhaps. Just guessing.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m voting for the one who isn’t a witch, as she’s cuter than Palin.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a tad more complicated than that Waderider 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

i don’t think the republicans are supported only by trailer trash

they are supported by lots of wealthy, well educated americans too

fatboyslo
    Free Member

president palin, anyone?

God help us all ….

and we thought it couldn’t get worse than George W …. 🙁

Northwind

I would. Even if the alternatives weren’t so appalling he still seems like a good option. And his administration has achieved some surprising things… But they’ve been very, very bad at spinning that, and getting their message across, which is a real problem these days.

Blackhound

I left the US after a 3 week holiday last Thursday, the last thing I saw on tv was Pres. Obama on The Daily Show – along with all the Sanity/Fear hoopla!

I thought B O did well speaking to Jon Stewart, though it was a very pro democrat audience. I would vote for him currently if I had the opportunity.

I could not understand why US would not want healthcare – looking after the nation and those less fortunate. Today I saw my cousin for a couple of hours on his way back to New York where he now lives. He told me it was to do with choice whether you want it or not, and why should ‘I’ pay for ‘your’ health care.

Waderider
    Free Member

Who needs to complicate things Mr Grips….this is a MTB forum 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I could not understand why US would not want healthcare

Some think it’d cost too much money. Some think it’d result in people being forced to the mercy of the government deciding who lives and dies.

This was a great example of people being whipped into a frenzy by the constant media barrage, without actually pausing to think clearly.

El-bent
    Free Member

The US political system is pretty damn corrupt as far as I can see. Big businesses pay money to have people schmooze the people in power, who then scupper anything that not be pandering to the whims of the people – regardless of how badly it’s needed by various technical bits of skullduggery. So nothing can get done, things carry on as they are and businessmen make obscene amounts of cash by doing almost whatever the hell they like. Meanwhile sections of the population have to deal with shocking deprivation and poverty, and many people seem to think it’s their own fault for not trying hard enough.

Reminds me of another country…

molgrips
    Free Member

Our system is bad for subtly different reasons.

loddrik
    Free Member

For all who are saying the Tea Party are a flash in the pan. Sure it cannot stand on it’s own, but it’s members and supporters will infiltrate the more moderate mainstream party and drag it further to the right. I shudder to think of the consequences of a more right wing republican party government with tea party overtones. Americas poor and minorities are in for a rough ride and Iran better take cover….

cranberry
    Free Member

I think that Palin nailed BO perfectly with “How’s the ‘Hope-y Change-y thing’ going for ya?” I think that he only won because he was The Anti-Bush.

That said, the best argument I can find for voting for him is to keep Palin as far away from power as possible – I wouldn’t let her stand next to a wall socket.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Again? Hell, yes!

Have you seen his opposition? They barely have opposable thumbs.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘would you vote for Obama?’ is closed to new replies.