Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Would you use a dropper post and a false crossbar?
  • zippykona

Would you use this combination?

PrinceJohn

no – doesn’t look very secure

warpcow
    Free Member

Can you not do around the downtube and seattube?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

NO. Just no.

Rubber_Buccaneer

No. I’d be concerned it would make my reverb go bouncy

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve used those false crossbars before on a similar rack, with no problems at all. I wouldn’t worry about the security but I would wonder what it might do to the dropper.

zippykona

Currently use a solid post and it’s fine. If I plan to go over 40mph I stick my bike in the car.

davosaurusrex

Considering the non-vertical loads the rider must put through the dropper I don’t think I’d be too worried as long as the crossbar was adjustable enough to avoid having to do it up too tight

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wish there was an answer. I used a saris bones for years with my old HT. last year bought a FS with dropper and can’t figure out how to use rack. Tried the false cross bar and was less worried about the dropper and more that bike did not seem secure enough. So have no alternative than to put it in the car which is bloody messy. I have no tow bar point, so can’t see an easy solution. PITA.

zippykona

This is my set up and it doesn’t move at all.

iain1775
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother putting a dropper on that old Cannondale, no
    It’s just not enduro enough

leftyboy
    Free Member

I use a crossbar to attach my Whyte T-130 which has a dropper, I do however bungie it down well to stop any bounce but the times I’ve used it seemed very stable and the reverb has been fine AFASIK.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve used a crossbar and a dropper all the way to Wales from MK many times with no issues. Make sure the bike is tied down and doesn’t sway too much. Nothing you wouldn’t do anyway.

puddings
    Free Member

I use the saris one on my bike fitted with a reverb. Due to not want to risk load damage to the reverb I take a climbing sling and once the bar is on the saris bones wrap the sling between the frame and bar meaning no weight is take by the saddle/reverb. It hasn’t let me down yet including driving from Hove to Peebles

molgrips
    Free Member

So have no alternative than to put it in the car which is bloody messy.

Tarp?

scotroutes

molgrips – Member

So have no alternative than to put it in the car which is bloody messy.

Tarp Van?[/quote]

FTFY 😉

benp1

Crossbar works fine at any speed

The idea of strapping the end of the crossbar to the frame so the reverb doesn’t take the strain is excellent, I’d definitely be doing that!

woody74

I would think that a 15 stone person bouncing up and down on a Reverb in all manner of directions as they hurtle down a hill would put far more strain on a seatpost than any crossbar and force by fitting it to a car rack. I can’t believe the the 2 forces would even be in the same ball park.

molgrips
    Free Member

They aren’t in the same direction though.

Van?
    FTFY

Can you get vans for £4 from B&Q?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can’t believe the the 2 forces would even be in the same ball park.

They aren’t. The only reason I’d have any (possibly unfounded) fear for my dropper is because that bar would be pulling on it. Reverbs get air in them somehow and I’d worry this wouldn’t help.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I would think that a 15 stone person bouncing up and down on a Reverb in all manner of directions as they hurtle down a hill

You sit, downhill?

gummikuh

I am sure I have read somewhere that it is bad to hang the bike up by the saddle when using a reverb.
    This may affect warranty?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Would you use a dropper post and a false crossbar?’ is closed to new replies.