• This topic has 51 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Would you use a cheap and possibly crap tent?
  • timidwheeler

Would you use a cheap and possibly crap tent?

Depends on the weather. Fort William is guaranteed to be sunny, still and midge free so a cheap tent will be fine. If not I would want something stable and doubleskinned with some sort of midge netting round vents etc and a reasonable size porch area to keep muddy stuff in. Can’t beat Vango for reasonable priced quality.

pictonroad

I took my camper to Fort William. I no longer have a camper. As a non-tenter myself I wouldn’t take one a tent, cheap or otherwise. I’d hire an estate car and sleep in it.

The rain and midges were on a level that, living on the South Coast, I couldn’t really get my head around.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got both an estate car and a van. Hmmm.

A night in a tent or a night in the boot of the car – I could even rig up a fairly decent surround sound system for my iPad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bought a cheap tent, mat and sleeping bag last time I was in the UK, still got them, chucked them in when I went to the states too as I was doing the odd day of camping. Perfectly fine for a couple of nights and if it dies you have lost very little.

Had a festival tent at v years ago that just refused to die, saved a lot of wear on the good tent over the years.

Last time I hired a van and slept in it it was all fancy with proper locking, trying to find the keys at 5am when I needed a piss with no interior lights wasn’t fun

chakaping
    Free Member

And now he reveals he has a van.

Does anyone sense another thread coming on?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

And now he reveals he has a van.

Not sure it would need a whole thread:

1) How to sleep in the back of a Citroen – do you know I don’t even know what the name of the model is? A small one, not quite long enough to put a bike in without turning the bars a bit. I suspect a mattress will do the job.

2) Anyone know any campsites near Ft. William that will allow me to ‘pitch’ my Van next to my mate’s tents so I can join in with the nightly weed and Kumbaya sessions?

Northwind

I have a proper tent, impervious to all weather, takes bloody ages to put up though so I’ve also got a fairly cheap (£50?) Decathlon 2 seconds which is awesome for car camping, and has never done anything I don’t like.

Also it’s the world cup- what are the odds you’ll wake up hungover? Being hungover in a hot tent is a living hell. So I’d get this: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-ii-freshblack-pop-up-tent-2-man-id_8357352.html

It’s not so much more expensive than the worst tent you can possibly buy, but it’ll do the job miles better, and be more comfortable for feeling wretched in because you’ve drunk too much warm red wine out of a bag and cedric gracia made you do shots.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Also it’s the world cup- what are the odds you’ll wake up hungover? Being hungover in a hot tent is a living hell. So I’d get this: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-ii-freshblack-pop-up-tent-2-man-id_8357352.html

Fairly slim, I’m not a big drinker – I’ve decided ‘drugs’ are the answer due to their low weight and compact nature.

I’ve upped my budget a bit and will go shopping around for a Vango of some description in Autumn.

stever
    Free Member

I used a 25 quid Argos tent for an occasional lightweight 1-man tent for about 10 years. Binned in June when the pegging tapes started to perish.

Ewan
    Free Member

I use a 30 quid 4 man asda / walmart tent. Seems invincible and if you’re not bothered about weight I don’t see why you’d spend more. The one I had before (the same one but different colour) lasted 8 years odd, including multiple festivals and being hit by the tail end of Hurricane Katrina on a spit on the west coast of Scotland. The tent was literally blown flat with us inside it, but it didn’t break – several motorhomes were blown over on the same campsite, so the wind wasn’t d*cking around!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Would you use a cheap and possibly crap tent?’ is closed to new replies.