Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Would you trust this fork dropout?
  • globalti
    Free Member

TNT wrecked a bike we sold on Ebay, it’s a long story and we’re going to be badly out of pocket. They must have slammed it down really hard because they bent the fork dropout. I’m going to have to buy a new fork because I reckon that once bent back, the alu dropout will work-harden and will always be weak and could break after many miles of road vibration; I couldn’t live with my conscience selling it like that.

So what to do with the damaged fork? Maybe a carbon fork destruction test on YouTube?

alpin
    Free Member

replace…. i’ve had a dropout fail once. it sent he head first down a chute between rocks. i was lucky that i was going slowly and ended up with a grazed arm. if it had happened at speed on the road i wouldn’t have been so lucky….

allthepies
    Free Member

Didn’t you ship it with one of those spacer bars fitted between the dropouts ? I know they’re only plastic and would probably get spat out given a hard impact but having recently bought a fork with them fitted I struggled to get them out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah odd if it wasn’t wedged but def bin that. Not sure there’s much other use it can be put to, bodging a truing stand maybe

jota180
    Free Member

it’s scrap IMO

TNT wrecked a bike we sold on Ebay, it’s a long story and we’re going to be badly out of pocket.

I take it you didn’t pay for any insurance?

For future shipments, try a block of HD foam on delicate areas – it’s dirt cheap and works a treat

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m sure not taking insurance doesn’t mean you can’t claim.

nick1962
    Free Member

This guywould ride it no probs 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Trouble with courier insurance is they say “did the recipient sign for it?” – when you say yes, that’s when they point out that a signature means it was received in good condition.

globalti
    Free Member

Even if the buyer had signed for the bike as damaged, TNT would only compensate us for a derisory amount per kilo as specified by by the RHA.

Household insurance doesn’t cover us because the bike was out of our possession and control when the damage was caused.

The only good thing to come out of it is that the buyer is thrilled that we stood by him and says he’s going to give us excellent feedback. This is a better outcome in some ways than a prolonged, uncertain and stressful battle with TNT.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Would you trust this fork dropout?’ is closed to new replies.