Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Would you trust this bar? (Scratched Alloy content) Will I die?
  • BillOddie

Went OTB this morning, bike seems to have had a rock interface on the way down, scratched bar end caps and what not. Not worried about the bar end caps obviously but am slightly worried about this:

Bar is a Race Face Atlas bar (so no lightweight) and has been on the bike a little under a month.

Scratch can just about be felt with fingernail/finger and I reckon it’s no more than 0.25 – 0.5mm deep.
    It’s more of an grazey abrasion than a scratch I guess.

Thoughts?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

It’s so dangerous that the entire structural integrity of the bike has been compromised. Send it to me for proper disposal.

🙂

Slogo
    Free Member

There are plenty of cheap bars in the CRC sale.

Stevelol
    Free Member

What?! It’s completely fine.

tpbiker
    Free Member

nowt wrong with that…

stumpy01

Wouldn’t worry me, unless it’s really deep which it doesn’t sounds like it is.
    If you can only just feel it with a fingernail, it isn’t 0.5mm deep.

If it was a sharp scratch, I’d be taking a closer look but it sounds fine to me.

BillOddie

Sounds like I’ll not die!

Believe it or not this is the first time I’ve done this to a set of bars in about 20 years of mountain biking.

I have completely ruined pretty much every other component out there though!

iain1775
    Free Member

obviously but am slightly worried about this

Your right to be worried, could be lethal that, complete failure is imminent

Northwind

I think most of my kit has scratches that big in it 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

Your bars have been christened.

jameso

At least it’s in a position that’s easy to keep an eye on )

(and I would, but wouldn’t worry about it)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Would you trust this bar? (Scratched Alloy content) Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.