Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • would you trust shims in seatposts ?
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I have a kona with a 30mm seat tube and bought a shim to step down to a 27.2mm dropper post and wondered if this is a good idea ? I think I have heard bad things about shims , any experiences ?

cheers

Rich

myheadsashed

My old piece of coke can is still going strong

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

thats fair enough just wondered if it would ruin the frame somehow ?

johnners
    Free Member

I use one of the USE shims to step down from 30.9 to 27.2, never had any problems. I bought a new frame, didn’t need the expense of a new seatpost too.

watsontony
    Free Member

neva had any problems with shims. just greese you seat clamp up so you can get it real tight

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

which part to grease the cam lever ?

cookeaa

never had any issues with shims used them with several different frwme/post combos including a 27.2 dropper in a 30.9 frame.

best way to ensure no seizing is to use a plastic one too….

weeksy

Mate made his in the garage for a recent trip to Morzine, worked well and is still working well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well. No. Not really.

I cracked a Kona Hei Hei (the titanium one) due to a USE shim that was too short. I’d only use one as a last resort and it would have to extend well past the top/seat tube junction for sure.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

They’re not a problem if they fit properly.
    Giant I know for one used to fit them to loads on their bikes as standard from 30.8 & 9 down to 27.2.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

What Goldenwonder said. I used them for years with no problems.

watsontony
    Free Member

[/quote]which part to grease the cam lever ?

the round bit at the end of the qr closest to the bike should be a little bress knuckle

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

how can you install a shim the wrong way ? I bought a use plastic one with the slot facing the slot of the frame ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘would you trust shims in seatposts ?’ is closed to new replies.