Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Would you travel business class for a long haul one off flight?
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

If the plane is an A380 and you can get a bulk head seat with extra legroom i wouldn’t bother with business. If it is a smaller plane and you can’t get a seat with extra legroom i would definitely consider it.

On the way to Hong Kong (via Dubai) i got extra legroom seats in economy for both flights. On the way back i only got it for one flight and it was horrible.

yunki
    Free Member

Only time I had enough dough to fly business class I wasted it on a flight back to the UK from Athens.. The flight was only a couple of hours and I slept the whole way through..

To be fair I’d been living rough in Greece for a few months and needed to juxtapose my dusty, stinky brand of sun baked insanity.. Eyebrows were raised at my smell and appearance and I was questioned a number of times in the lounge as I awaited the flight

chewkw
    Free Member

Those pics are no comparison to Emirates A380 business class coz they way way better IMO … miles ahead.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Interesting above re transfers. If going to Australia or NZ, I’d always choose to transfer via Singapore or Hong Kong. The airport of the former, Changi, is a modern wonder.

Who flys direct to HK, Cathay? We ended up transferring in Dubai, never again. Flown to and from Changi in a former life, fantatsic place for a pair of (almost) Weegie cadets to grab a pack of Tiger from the off licence and sit on a bench watching the world go by. Resolved since that any long hauls eastwards will transfer via there in future.

Agree that Emirates business class is good but still got the transfer which is a deal breaker for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Who flys direct to HK

I use BA or Cathay. Last Australia trip was Qantas via Changi. Nice transfer, enough time for a shower, etc.

NZCol

As someone who used to commute from NZ to London (!) I spent a lot of time in business seats. Def Air NZ were incredible service, good seats but having seen flashys reverse herringbone that would be appealing. Emirates a380 biz was nice but I didn’t like the layout that much, bar was quite cool though. Virgin upper was pretty good as well if only for the lounge! I used to go via LA, new lounge will help and in biz you are fast tracked through security – door open to g and t was about 10 mins mostly.
    I have and would pay for a business flight from my own cash if I was time bound or u wanted a special start to a holiday. Saying that I have loss of unused airmiles on NZ, virgin and Emirates.
    Premium economy is a good call, again air NZ premium is like business service in lesser seats, virgins is more economy service in a nicer seat.

sparksmcguff

Paid for the premium on BA last time because they allowed me to fly with my bike bag. At 6.6 tall I also thought it might give me more room. After enduring a night of someone squashing my legs with their effin’ seat on anti social incline (yes I did ask nicely if they would refrain) decided i’d go back to getting a bulk head seat. I sleep on the plane and would rather spend any money I save travelling economy on other things.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Premium Economy seems a tricky one, like I said above on the trip over to LA it was rammed and I had the front row of economy to myself instead. Much more comfortable.

konagirl
    Free Member

It depends if it is just UK to Dubai (only ~6 hours) or a connection further afield, whether it is a day or night flight and whether you need to be fresh when you arrive.

Whether or not it is value for money for you is very personal and depends if this is a ‘one in a lifetime’. The perks of extra baggage, fast lane past queues, lounges, better food / drinks and better service are all very nice but only really add a few 100 in value (compared with eating in an airport restaurant beforehand, paying for baggage etc.) For me, the benefit I would and have paid for is the lie-flat bed – it makes a huge difference on night flights or where you are changing numerous time zones. I would choose to travel longer / further in order to get a cheap business class seat flights >10 hours (west coast USA, Asia, Australasia) over a more direct route in economy, because sleeping well can stop the jet lag and basically gives you an extra day / few days not feeling groggy. But of course, what you consider ‘cheap’ business class depends on what you can afford.

I rarely fly

If you don’t fly enough to get status / miles and understand the scheme, you will probably be much better off with a credit card earning cashback rather than frequent flyer miles. Some bits of schemes are good (e.g. short haul rewards on BA, if you live near London, and also within USA, Australia, Asia on partner airlines), they have all generally tightened up recently (getting reward availability in premium cabins on popular routes is very hard).

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Wouldnt matter, always take sleeping tabs on long haul flights, sit by the window so no one disturbs me and just tell the person next to me and flight attendant not to wake me up till we arrive.. i despise airports and flying..Id rather drive a very fast car to my destination.

br
    Free Member

IME the best seat, and the one I use to book on long-haul night flights was 64A. Upstairs, backward facing, window and hidden from view.

Once I was in my seat and we were taxi-ing I’d have it dropped down and asleep – having already had dinner/drinks in the lounge and instructed the stewardess to not wake me until breakfast 🙂

http://theflight.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Seat_map_British_Airways_Boeing_747_400v1.jpg

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Br, 62A/K are my preference. Easier to get out and all that extra space from the exit row.

Houns

Any flight over 4 hours then I would pay the extra for premium.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I travelled back and forth from Singapore in Economy on the 380 with Singapore once every 6 weeks in the 2yrs I lived out there, 14 hours and not bad at all.

I often use my BA air miles to upgrade to business on European shorthaul but thats only when reward flights are sold out in economy. I wouldn’t pay the upgrade price.

We often book premium economy if the upgrade is not too pricey and we pick it for the leg where we will sleep.

Agreed on the original Upper Class, I used to go to NY once every 3 weeks and it was my preferred choice. Latest is ok but not the clear class leader it was.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Would you travel business class for a long haul one off flight?’ is closed to new replies.