Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Would you trade your health?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

For anything.
    I've found I really treasure my health now more than ever, perhaps it's an age thing.
    All the years of running and riding seem to have been a good investment.
    Just been thinking about it again after dealing with a guy about twenty years younger than me but in a right state physically, but has all the trappings of wealth. I couldn't help smugly think that he should spend less on the Porche and more on the gym.
    Be nice to have both though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Most of the wealthy folk i know have blown knees from too much skiing.

Pook

Having had flu/cold/illness for about a week now I'd trade everything (except my bike) for my health back.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Not a chance.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

What's the point in trading your health? Hey wealthy and sick .. but you can't do anything with the money!!?
    Look at all those City bankers earning millions in bonuses.. they don't last long and realise how much of youth they've missed out on!
    No way would I trade my health!

sharki
    Free Member

I'd trade all my physical health for some much needed mental health, however if i was a chubber i'm not too sure i'd be happy bunny mentally.

What if you had to trade your health for seeing loved ones again…would you trade a leg, etc if a circumstance meant you'd never see them again….?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Possibly trade for someone else's health/happiness or my own happiness.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm actually getting healthier as I get older 🙂 I recall standing on my front doorstep Friday before last, taking some shots of the incredible sunset and wondering why people bother striving for wealth and influence when nature bestows such priceless wonders for nowt!

oldgit
    Free Member

SFB I feel like that more often these days, I'm turning into a proper soggy hippy.

Mind you the **** I work with smoking forty a day will probably kill me off.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It depends doesn't it? I'd not accept some sort of deal that gave me loads of money but left me riddled with cancer, say.

But I wouldn't necessarily mind being my age and having a body ruined by a lifetime of passionnate, animalistic sex with hundreds of partners, gluttonous consumption of every drug known to man, wild partying, unalloyed hedonism and bare-knuckle lesbian-boxing if I had actually done all that stuff. EDIT: We'll do some shark-taunting as well on reflection.

As it is I'm pretty fit for a 30 year old man who has had a very boring life but kept quite fit. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

taking some shots of the incredible sunset and wondering why people bother striving for wealth

What a stupid thing to say. I would rather someone handed me a large cheque, than spend my time looking at a bleeding sunset.

Jamie
    Free Member

I recall standing on my front doorstep Friday before last, taking some shots of the incredible sunset and wondering why people bother striving for wealth and influence when nature bestows such priceless wonders for nowt!

Goddamn hippy. 😈

carlosg
    Free Member

Every now and again my mum starts on to my wife about how "he could've done better at school , he could be earning more money" but I don't care about being rich!

My cupboards are full of food all the bills/mortgage are up to date or we're in front and most importantly my wife,son and me are all healthy.

No way would I trade my health for anything , even though it would be nice to see my grandparents again and show them how wonderful their great-grandson is , grandma died when he was only 8 months but I know my grandad would've really got on well as they share the same sense of humour.

GaryLake
    Free Member

About two years ago I was told by my doc that although I looked healthy at 5"10' and 12st, I wasn't and couldn't rely on my metabolism forever.

Sorted myself out big time now but stress is always an issue. My Mental health seems to range from merely alright to not great… :-/

ourkidsam
    Free Member

BD, I'm 30 in a couple of years. It really is beginning to take it's toll.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i would trade anything to ensure my parents long term happiness and health (having nearly lost my dad 3 times this year due to heart attacks it really hits home)

I am determined not to end up like him. he works too much and smokes – despite eating healthy and being active and not fat – if anything underweight

im sure they have and would do the same for me ! i certainly wouldnt trade it for money !

Bunnyhop

Having spent most of the last 3 years being ill, I treasure every bike ride and any day that I feel normal. So no is the answer, health is everything.

Money is just something we need to get us fed, clothed, a roof over our heads, oh yes very importantly bike/bike bits too.
    Everyone would like more, where do you draw the line?

We've opted for a simpler life in the bunnyhop household and it suits us.

scotia
    Free Member

i'd trade all my money for two good knees…getting really fed up with them at the moment..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What a stupid thing to say. I would rather someone handed me a large cheque, than spend my time looking at a bleeding sunset.

except my option is more likely :o) And I would feel guilty if I had any more money.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would feel guilty if I had any more money.

Nonsense. Just think of the nice car you could buy if you had more money.

Don't you feel guilty about poncing lifts off people all the time ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Don't you feel guilty about poncing lifts off people all the time ?

not in the least – they were going anyway 🙂 I can afford a car now – I just don't want one.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I can afford a car now

You do realise that requires "money", yeah ?
    You can't go to the seller and say : "Sorry mate, I ain't got any money, but here's a photo of a beautiful sunset".

And if you had some money, you might be able to afford to buy a round

…………. you tight-fisted git 😐

thejesmonddingo

BigDummy,been there,done that,now can I have a nice peaceful life and my health back? I lent it to somebody in the 80's and haven't seen it since.
    Ian

richc
    Free Member

I wouldn't trade my health for anything to be honest, as others have said, whats the point, if you are ill then you can do anything with whatever you traded it for anyway

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

"Sorry mate, I ain't got any money, but here's a photo of a beautiful sunset".

taken with a £1500 camera ?

And if you had some money, you might be able to afford to buy a round

I think there are worthier causes…

toby1

BigDummy – what exactly is the appeal of 'bare knuckle lesbian boxing' 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what exactly is the appeal of 'bare knuckle lesbian boxing'

I imagine he wants to give them a good drubbing for refusing to slake his unnatural desires?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

taken with a £1500 camera ?

How bourgeois and materialistic of you 😐

I think there are worthier causes…

You must really impress the ladies when you take them out for a drink…….."Sorry love, you'll have to get your own".
    Is it cos they ain't "worth" it ? I hope at least you let them get to the bar before you 😕

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You must really impress the ladies when you take them out for a drink

you may not be able to tell the difference between a gang of balding middleaged fatties and a hot date, but I can :o)

anyway ernie what's rattled your cage ??

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oldgit – I sort of did the opposite. Had quite an emotional breakdown and suffered stress and depression in my late 20s, early 30s. My plan was to sell the house, quit a v well paying job in London and learn yoga. Maybe teach yoga while studying shamanism. That was the plan but it all went belly up in 2004.

Am trying again having needed to get some more cash together so yeah, no idea what will happen after my MSc next year, but my plan is to do something that obviously does bring in some money, but that is constructive and demanding in all the right ways, as opposed to the politics and stresses of corporate life.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the difference between a gang of balding middleaged fatties and a hot date

So what do you mean by saying that you've never bought a round ? …….. That you've never bought "two" ladies a drink ?

Don't know …….. well it wouldn't be you for a start.

Maybe it's because the cat's shit in the bath again 💡

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

how about the opposite,

would you trade all you'r money for good health?

I'd happily pay to get my knee and back fixed so I could ride and shag like I used to, unfortunately no two docs have agreed on whats wrong with either so it would probably be a money pit.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Having had a really crap yr what with my fiancee dumping me and my job going belly up i have been feeling like shi-ite for months now and think i need to speak to the quack again.

However, after seeing a close female friend of mine diagnosed with breast cancer i realise that i'm still pretty lucky with my health (could be fitter though) and the rest is just stuff to be worked through.

thefettler
    Free Member

Happiness is different things to different people

I'm just happy to have a choice of bikes to ride,&be fit & healthy

I also like sunsets 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No. It's my health that makes enjoying life, work etc possible.

"What if you had to trade your health for seeing loved ones again"

ooooh good question. fingers, toes, ears, a kidney, some bone marrow: probably. But being proper disabled? I'm not so sure. Is that selfish?

DrDolittle
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Good point…. Maybe he acts like an obnoxious **** because he needs a drink

…… or a shag ?

😆

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

no never your health can be ripped from you at any time. don't take it for granted

ton

i could be classed as fat, unfit, whatever……….
    but i would not swap anything in my life.
    i ride everyday, i go away on the bike whenever i chose, my aches and pains are induced from riding, or old sports injuries.
    8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Maybe he acts like an obnoxious **** because he needs a drink

if you need a drink doesn't that make you an alcoholic ? AFAIK it's not a vitamin…

NZCol

I didn't appreciate how much I relied on being healthy to shape my life until i got sick. After a viral thing which lasted 9 months with no sport or training or anything I would quite happily have paid up to get it back …
    Now I am in a position where I can pick and choose my work, am fit and healthy again, happy and in a pretty good place despite a few major complications in life. I really do think its easy to get caught up in the material complications of life (says the guy who just lashed out on a new set of 29er wheels !) and forget the simple pleasures – a bike ride in the sun, a wakl on the beach, the smell of pine forests or cut grass. And bare knuckle lesbian boxing of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Would you trade your health?’ is closed to new replies.