Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Would you take your kids to a concert?
  • franksinatra

Musical tastes aside, we are thinking about taking our kids to see Little Mix later this year (in Newcastle). Struggling to book this with Manchester so fresh in everyones minds.

I know we are meant to be proving a point by carrying on as normal but I don’t traditionally risk my kids to prove a point. My job is to keep them safe.

It feels wrong to not go as I can be rational about the risk, but the flip side is I simply want to keep them safe. I also want them to live a life not wrapped up in cotton wool

Thoughts?

aracer
    Free Member

How are you planning on getting there, how far away is it?

Statistically the most dangerous part will be the drive there and back.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, I would.

SaxonRider

I tend to think in statistical terms, and on that basis would take my kids almost anywhere.

But not Little Mix. Definitely NOT Little Mix. 😉

Seriously, though, we have talked as a family about ‘situational awareness’, and I try to stress that we shouldn’t ever let fear govern our lives. But being willing to do things has to be matched by good sense at all times.

Such an approach is not fool proof, I know, but I feel like it is the only way we can live without fear, but reduce risk at the same time.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Took my kids (5 & 8) to their first concert last Sunday, just over a week after the Manchester incident. Yes, it makes you think a bit more and be a bit more paranoid/observant but I wouldn’t not take them, the loved it (kiss 2017 tour)

geologist
    Free Member

Will you take them on the tube ? On a plane ? stand in trafalger Square ? To watch the start of the tour in Yorkshire ? Etc etc ……
    Of course the answer is yes. As similar to mentioned above , they are a lot more likely to come to harm in a freak lawn mowing accident !

CountZero

Absolutely, I can’t think of any reason not to. I don’t have kids, but there’s no more reason not to than there is taking them to any large event, or even a day or weekend away to London or any other city.

theotherjonv

absolutely.

11 and 13 y.o to see Wheatus tomorrow evening.

ulysse
    Free Member

Is a mix Scouse-ese for taking a dump? Little dump?
    Nahhh

loddrik
    Free Member

Was online this morning desperately trying to get tickets for the wife and kids to go to this Sundays Arianna Grande concert. No doubt they’d be extremely safe.

Didn’t get any though… 🙁

garage-dweller

What they all said ESPECIALLY the bit about not Little Mix. 😉

It seems to me near enough anything public could be a target these days so just how much do you stop doing?

ericemel
    Free Member

Sure!

My 2 year old get to see the Lions vs Barbarians tomorrow (I CANNOT WAIT!)

weeksy

I took my lad to Wembley last weekened.

He’s going to Adele at Wembley in a few weeks. He’s 8, coming up to 9.

theotherjonv

I took my lad to Wembley last weekend.

He’s going to Adele at Wembley in a few weeks. He’s 8, coming up to 9.

Jeez, I thought you liked him 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

The question is, if you don’t mind me saying, ridiculous. Even if you were actually inside that arena in Manchester that night your chance of being caught in the bombing were still more than 100 to 1 (without wanting to take anything away from the folk who were killed or injured).

The chances of any of us being caught up in a terrorist incident are tens of millions to one against. If you think you are exposing your kids to a risk that way then presumably you don’t let them near any sort of road, or even out the house? In fact there’s probably more risk inside the house.

jate
    Free Member

You say your job is to keep your kids safe. Actually, and I speak as a father of two, I think the job of a parent is to prepare our children to live in the world independently of us. Part of that is to allow them to understand the nature of risk and that life involves balancing risks against the rewards that result. So in relation to a concert, rather than wrapping my children in cotton wool (as you say) I want them to understand that there is a very small risk in attending (primarily from driving there to be honest!) but that this is far outweighed by the benefits. I would also want them to understand that at a broader societal level it is vital that we continue to carry on with our lives despite the Manchester attack, otherwise terrorists win.
    And indeed my daughter & I went to a concert on Wednesday night (Emma Blackery in Newcastle) for her 16th birthday. Excellent evening was had by us both (particularly as we felt we were also putting a metaphorical two fingers up to terrorism).

votchy
    Free Member

My take on life is this: regret the things you do, not the things you didn’t! What happened at Manchester was awful but was completely out of anyones control, you cannot directly influence the actions of others. I have taken my 2 kids to many things including concerts and they are better people for it. I also want to keep them safe but that has never stopped me doing things with them where a possible outcome was out of my control. We visited London 3 weeks after the July bombings as it was already planned and not doing things because of something that happened would just leave you without any enjoyable memories. You use transport of one form or another with your children on a daily basis and road accidents are a daily occurence, doesn’t stop you travelling by car/bus/bike etc.
    Go and enjoy watching your children having the time of their lives at Little Mix and you will have happy memories for life.

martinhutch

Little Mix? Nah. Do them a favour and take ’em to this!

http://www.sagegateshead.com/event/swr-symphonie-orchester-stuttgart/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lions vs Barbarians tomorrow (I CANNOT WAIT!)

You’re in for a disappointment, then.

Lions are playing a provincial union XV, and the Baas game was last night. (A cracker, too!)

I was at the last Lions v Baas game. It was ace! 8)

McHamish
    Free Member

I would take them.

You could wait before leaving your seats until it empties out a bit or leave early to avoid any crowds exiting the venue.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Would you take your kids to a concert?’ is closed to new replies.