Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Would you take a saw to a new carbon frame?
  • singlespeedstu

If you needed an extra 10mm or so to get a dropper post to the correct height at full extension. Would you saw a bit off the top of the seat tube?
    Looks like it could be trimmed down as the slot’s quite long.
    Fine toothed hacksaw or something else?

garage-dweller

Flip no?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Hmmm, depends how much you like the warranty.

Junkyard
    Free Member

NO

scaredypants

get some shorter cranks 8)

singlespeedstu

get some shorter cranks

This had also crossed my mind.

I’d still need another 5mm though.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not a chance.

I’d rather take a 10 mm off my legs.

Houns

Use a qr and a normal post

singlespeedstu

I’d rather take a 10 mm off my legs.

That’d make it worserer. 😆

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Not unless you have CynicAl on speed dial.

singlespeedstu

The thing is if it was an alloy frame i’d just get the file out and not think twice about it.
    Just a bit unsure about what would happen to the edge after cutting carbon.
    Though having said that plenty of people cut carbon bars down.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Depends on what frame it was and just how much seat tube extended above the seat cluster. Certainly wouldn’t rule it out. However, do you have the short travel version of whatever post you have?

Could you put a spacer in the post to reduce travel but 10mm?

footflaps

Yep, no qualms about modding frames – first thing I do with a new frame is drill out all the cable guides so I can run full outers. Then lift all the transfers off…

rickmeister

I’d consider it. Accept the warranty make be screwed and ask the manufacturer, or find a friend in F1 / Aerospace who works with carbon… or something but I think you get my drift…

cynic-al
    Free Member

No problem.

May affect resale tho.

Do you want me to do it stu?

hugor
    Free Member

Thicker pedals, taller saddle?
    EDIT shorter saddle!

james
    Free Member

“what would happen to the edge after cutting carbon”
    IIRC its while cutting that you want to be worried/careful. Very much following the blurb of those carbon cutting hacksaws/cutting guides (cant remember the brand) but you cant use a normal blade as it’ll tear/rip/whatnot too much and risk breaking something? Presumable you’d need a very fine blade and a guide to brace around the cut and at least a dust mask, ideally some eye protection for the dust?

How pricey is this carbon frame? £££ or ££££? and new or s/h?

170mm cranks and a low height saddle? Fatter pedals? Fatter soled shoes?

singlespeedstu

I’ll pass on that offer thanks al. 😆

Fatter soled shoes you say?

These?

Or these maybe?

:mrgreen:

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

f— that.

New saddle? WTB silverados have a really low drop from body to rail (so much so they wont work with a joplin without fouling on the cable-pull lever with body weight on the shell) but depending on your saddle you could make up the 10mm- I put a Rocket V on the joplin-equipped bike and there is at least 10mm difference.

mboy
    Free Member

Whilst probably not easier, almost certainly a better option to modify the dropper post so it doesn’t extend quite as far. Depends what make it is, but certainly on some of them it should be quite easy, just make up a 10mm spacer and fit inside like you would when spacing a Rockshox Reba fork down in travel.

170mm cranks will of course help. Saddle heights range wildly too. What you got on there now? I’ve had one saddle very nearly an inch taller than another before, so quite possibly just buy a shallower saddle.

takisawa2

I would.

andyl
    Free Member

if you lop some off the top you will need to make the clamp slot deeper and that is the bit I would worry about.

compositepro
    Free Member

Hell yes

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Please post detailed before and after pictures!

😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Personally i wouldnt do it but it can be done if ride quality is more important than warrenty

Ive done similar on alloy frame to reduce headtube length – which had i asked on here would result in certain death …..

Fine toothed saw and some clear nail varnish on the finished edge to stop water ingress.

Thumbs up from me …..

Its not that much different to cutting carbon steerers ……

singlespeedstu

Fine toothed saw and some clear nail varnish on the finished edge to stop water ingress.

I’ve only got trampy red. Will that do? 😀

jota180
    Free Member

Just use a seat clamp as a cutting gauge and get the saw/Dremmel on it

no problem

Frankers
    Free Member

Some carbon frames with extended seat post have to be modded (Yeti did one) to suit the rider height

I’d give it a go

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Because its carbon, its likely that the area where the clamp goes will only be 10/15mm deep to allow a clamp to fit. Going lower than that you’ll probably get the carbon starting to ‘merge’ with the top tube and as such, there won’t be sufficient room to get a clamp to sit flat on the tube if you know what I mean. Personally, I’d look at trying to space the dropper so it has 10mm less travel. I certainly wouldn’t be going anywhere near the frame with a saw. Maybe with a steel or alloy frame but no way with carbon. If it starts to split when you’re cutting it etc then you’ve borked it.

igm

If you do do it, consider inserting an old seat post (or part thereof) to support the inside of the carbon as you cut.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Try it on someone else’s first?

Keef
    Free Member

are you a man or a mouse ? get on with it boy !

wwaswas

Personally, I’d look at limiting the maximum extension on the dropper post.

legend
    Free Member

I’m disappointed that this thread is 12 hours old and the saw still hasn’t cone out!

specialknees
    Free Member

Sawing Carbon is easy.
    The problem starts if you then rely on a piece that not ‘layed-up’ to deal with the forces you are now imparting on it. Look at any carbon fishing rod, the spigots look different for a reason.
    A fine toothed saw will do the job.
    Physics will do the rest.!

Beerbadger
    Free Member

NOt the frame. Can the post be trimmed Or a shorter one purchased?

faz083
    Free Member

what seatpost?

batman11
    Free Member

Why not just get a 100 mm dropper instead of the usual 125 mm one would have thought that might help!!!

rOcKeTdOg

Cuban heels = win

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Would you take a saw to a new carbon frame?’ is closed to new replies.