Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Would you take a 7 yr old to a premiership football match?
  • Cougar

Yet you felt the need to read a another football thread and comment on it

I was curious to see if folk thought it was family-friendly these days, and I was answering a question posed rather than being randomly grumpy. But yeah, I’m aware of the hypocrisy of that post when I call people out for doing the same thing. (-:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2. Is it a complete bear pit full of racist thugs shouting abuse who will scare a 7 year old?

As a moderately well travelled 30 something I thought I probably knew enough swear words and insults to get by. Then I went to a Chelsea game and:
    a) Wondered why anyone not White, British, ‘Cristian’ and a member of the BNP would want to be there
    b) Discovered who the 52% who voted for Brexit are.

stumpy01

thisisnotaspoon – Member

As a moderately well travelled 30 something I thought I probably knew enough swear words and insults to get by. Then I went to a Chelsea game and:
    a) Wondered why anyone not White, British, ‘Cristian’ and a member of the BNP would want to be there

You said pretty much what I said, but in less sentences…. 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve taken my boys – similar age – to Stoke City matches. I was worried about it being an unsuitable and intimidating environment and was very pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t. Would happily take them again. As someone says above, there are family enclosures that are full of kids.

chestrockwell

As others have said, football has changed, as have those who attend. Do your research and find out where the family areas are as the vocal fans tend to stick together in certain parts of any ground.

If you want to go to old toilet try a europa league match as you should easily be able to get tickets and they will be about as cheap as you will get I’d imagine. Grounds like that are big old places so it’s unlikely you will bump in to too many undesirables but expect to hear some ‘colourful’ language! You have nothing more to worry about than a boring game.

ferrals
    Free Member

stgeorge – Member
    WTF do you mean by ‘actively’ disliking a sport – do you protest against it outside stadiums, local parks and the like?

I wonder how some people would think about actively disliking cycling

Hang on, have you tried cycling in any form of remotely built up area?
    Last night i got ‘You look like a knob,’ followed by ‘your an f-ing c u next tuesday being on the road,’ screamed out the window of a car that passed me as I toiled up a hill (no cyclepaths were available).

scandal42
    Free Member

For the love of god don’t take the poor little fella to Old Trafford.

I was there a few weeks ago when they were winning 4-0 and the atmosphere was so utterly flat I couldn’t believe it.

An absolute borefest of a ground filled with people who look like they have been forced to be there through some kind of community service order.

Take him to his local club, there is no reason to go anywhere else.

andy8442
    Free Member

I’ve worked in and around football at all levels for over 20 years, and see at least a dozen games a month. Based purely on the language alone I will not take my kids to a game. But thats just me, I have a thing about bad language infront of kids, but also when grown men are spitting fury and venom at God knows what, I just find it all too much.

deker
    Free Member

I’m not the biggest football fan but have been to St. James about a dozen or so times with my dad (an avid supporter), like others have said the atmosphere is electric, even on the walk to the stadium with thousands of fans in their black and white you’ll feel the atmosphere, it really is a cracking experience.

As for the language, yes you’ll hear some but the more ‘passionate’ supporters are in he same stand (sorry not sure what that one is called), when I took my dad I always tried to get seats near the front around the half way line and had a decent view of the game (been up in the gods once and it wasn’t too bad but I wouldn’t recommend it).

Remember to prepare for 2 hours in the cold though so wrap up for it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Remember to prepare for 2 hours in the cold though so wrap up for it.

2 t shirts should do it 😉

East Stand any row is good, my pic on the last page was the back row where my parents have their season tickets.

the best bit about the language in Newcastle is it’s hard to work out what they are saying dear chap 🙂

Also every UEFA cup game to the 1/4’s under Sir Bobby was an absolute pleasure to be at even in the pissing game. Alan banging in goals and playing like the team they should have been. Had the pleasure to take my folks to the last one of them in Sir Bobby’s last season by the sounds of it under Rafa it’s getting back to that.

orangeorange
    Free Member

If you take him to a Newcastle match bring his boots as he may well get a game !

terrahawk
    Free Member

Being bored shitless by the constant media saturation to the detriment of almost every other sport; its propensity for attracting Stella-fuelled knuckle-draggers; the fact that it’s “just” a sport where a bunch of folk kick a ball around for 90 minutes and yet is treated like a religion; the conversations that go “what team do you support?” – “oh, I don’t follow football” – *talks at you about football for the next ten minutes*; the people who go to the pub in full match strip and refer to the team as “we” like they were in midfield that afternoon when they haven’t kicked a ball in 20 years; the ability for fans to go on and on about the smallest detail post-game about stats and transfers; how every fan knows better than the professional referees and international-grade coaches; and the fervent defensiveness of fans to go “why do you dislike it” when you dare to proffer such an opinion.

you forgot the bit about cyclists being super-keen to point out that they hate football, cyclists referring to football as ‘wendyball’, cyclists sharing shite memes on facebook comparing injured cyclists (hard) and injured footballers (pansies), cyclists conveniently liking rugby because the men are tougher than pansy footballers……etc etc

terrahawk
    Free Member

Anyway, tickets for european matches are available to non-members on the MUFC website right now I believe. Take him to a Man United match if that’s who he’s into.

Toon my arse.

tenfoot

First took my son to Palace when he was 8. I was a bit worried about the swearing, but he soon stopped after I had a word with him. 😀

I_did_dab
    Free Member

My colleagues had season tickets at Newcastle United in front of someone they called Mr Tourettes. He spends the entire 90 minutes of f-ing and blinding at everyone on the pitch (the away team, his team, the refs) it must be his weekly therapy by the sound of it. they regularly came out soaked with his spit. Lovely…

binners

Then I went to a Chelsea game and:

I think I see your problem there.

Whatever you do, don’t lump all football fans in with a group of half-wits who regard John Terry as a ‘fackin ledge’ innit!’

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

why not take him to a local non-league game, Blyth Spartans?

It will be cheaper, friendlier etc

Mackem

What binners said.

tenfoot

It’s the atmosphere of a big game, that non-league games (probably) won’t deliver,that my boy liked,. (Maidstone United being a good exception as I can hear the fans from my house, a mile away)

the-muffin-man

There is something about walking through the stadium and when you first see the pitch that just gets me every time .

Same for me.

My team is Derby though and it looks like the Wally with the Brolly is back! 😕

uwe-r
    Free Member

The areas you will get tickets for at old Trafford will be full of other day tripping tourists, cockneys, Chinese, scandi’s etc, not hooligans

This sums up old Trafford perfectly. The 10k or so scum bags with hooligan tendencies are mixed in amongst it all so there is little noticeable aggravation. It’s the away fans where you get concentrations of hardcore types (as dedication is required and tickets are much harder to get hold off).

binners

We go to see our local non-league side Ramsbottom United and its good fun. yThe banter from the old codgers on the sidelines is pure comedy gold, and you can have a pie and peas, and a big mug of tea for a couple of quid at half time.

Now thats all very nice, but that feeling as you walk out onto the terraces at a ground like Old Trafford, St James’s Park of Anfield, and take in the noise and the atmosphere….

I’ll never forget the look on my daughters face when she experienced OT for the first time

theboatman
    Free Member

We regularly take our 6 and 16 year old girls up to Sheffield Wednesday, and Mrs B is probably more of a fan than I (she played for Doncaster Belles and her father for Bolton). I don’t think either of the girls are transfixed to the game, the youngest will usually end up on my phone with headphones on, gaming or watching YouTube. But both ask to come, as I think both love the overall experience of the crowd’s, pre-match drink, and a half time pie etc. One of the least stressful family activities we do. Equally I take both the girls to see Warrington Wolves and again I think they just enjoy the time together, the journey, getting some snap as much as the game. Although both seem more engaged in the game when we are standing on the terraces at Rugby League. They hear some very choice language and opinions at both, but as parents it’s our job to tell them what’s right n wrong, so it’s nothing I fret about.

angeldust
    Free Member

What’s worse than a football-bore?

An anti-football-bore, desperate to tell you how much they despise it.

I await the witty anti-anti-football-bore response 🙄 :lol:.

siwhite
    Free Member

Being bored shitless by the constant media saturation to the detriment of almost every other sport; its propensity for attracting Stella-fuelled knuckle-draggers; the fact that it’s “just” a sport where a bunch of folk kick a ball around for 90 minutes and yet is treated like a religion; the conversations that go “what team do you support?” – “oh, I don’t follow football” – *talks at you about football for the next ten minutes*; the people who go to the pub in full match strip and refer to the team as “we” like they were in midfield that afternoon when they haven’t kicked a ball in 20 years; the ability for fans to go on and on about the smallest detail post-game about stats and transfers; how every fan knows better than the professional referees and international-grade coaches; and the fervent defensiveness of fans to go “why do you dislike it” when you dare to proffer such an opinion.

Cougar, you are my sort of chap.

I’ve only ever been to a ‘professional’ football match when I’ve had to Police them – even that is a hateful experience. I’d rather set fire to £50 than pay for tickets.

OP – any chance you can steer him towards premiership rugby? I’ve been to a few matches recently and the little people there have a great time, without taking influence from players who consider it acceptable to fall over at the slightest touch and protest and question the referees every move. Football players are technically sportsmen, but you’ll not see much sportsmanship there.

binners

Christ! Here we ****ing go. Heres an idea. Why don’t all the people who don’t like football just **** off to a thread that isn’t about football

Just a thought. It saves you coming across as a complete and utter bell end. Especially when you sniffily go on to say how Rugby is so much better. When ‘better’ just means ‘more homo-erotic’ for public schoolboys in denial about their sexuality

He doesn’t want to watch rugby. He wants to watch football. Why? Because rugby is shit. His son recognises this at an early age. I’d be grateful for that, as it’ll probably mean he’ll end up spending less on grooming products and Hackett tops with ‘popped’ collars in later life

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If you used to watch BBC Casualty, then no way.

mogrim

Went with my (then) 10 year old daughter and 3 nephews (7-13) to see Brentford a couple of years ago, it was fine. Bloody freezing, and we lost, but as a parent/uncle nothing that would stop me going again.

theboatman
    Free Member

without taking influence from players who consider it acceptable to fall over at the slightest touch and protest and question the referees every move. Football players are technically sportsmen, but you’ll not see much sportsmanship there.

I really don’t see why people buy this shite, bloodgate, anyone
    Any professional sport attracts cheating, but pretend away.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I took my sons to the Sco vs Lithuania game at Hampden on Saturday, their first international. They didn’t see even a minute of action, as everyone in the crowd was standing. They refused to stand on the seats for the ironic reason that it would obscure the view of those behind us.

I think family enclosure is a must. If they don’t have a family enclosure and you’re not familier with the standing/sitting practices then don’t go.

hora
    Free Member

Scandal42 seriously??

What I find odd- a big man Utd match and the roads are full and gridlocked for hours before/after.

A big Rugby final etc = lots of coaches, lots of people on trams up to the grounds. Which makes you think are all the football crowds sober in those cars? And where are they coming from?

binners

You’re not very bright are you Hora?

“Where are they coming from?”

Well…. it’s not difficult to work out. The clues are in the teams names….

Last rugby game at OT? Warrington v Wigan, wasn’t it? So everyone will be coming from within a 15-20 mile radius. So jump on a train and have a few beers.

Look at the Premiership table and look where the away fans are coming from. Southampton, Bournmouth, Leiscester, Tottenham, Chelsea, Watford, Hull, Sunderland, Middlsborough. Plus, we all know that United fans are all from Surrey. Turn on 606 any Satrday evening and listen to the ‘Designated Driver’ section, where everyone gives shouts out to their sober mates who’s turn it is to drive. It’s not like you can drink while you’re watching the match?

You’ve never actually been to a football match, have you?

Not to worry. Just carry on making spurious, baseless ‘observations’ . This is the internet after all

theotherjonv

On my list to go back to SJP, now that it’s a big ground again and they’re doing alright. It’s my mum’s home town and the first team I ever saw, in the 70’s with my grandad. That was atmosphere, as kids me and my cousin would be passed down to the front and sit on the front barriers or running track and my grandad and uncle would come and find us afterwards.

Then we stopped going (as my grandad said – when I’m bad (geordie slang for ill) they never come to see me!). Then I went up there to university and used to go and see them in the late 80’s, gazza and all, but it was only 28,000 by then. 27,773 of whom used to be in the Strawberry until 5 to 3.

We now regularly attend Reading FC games in the family section, can’t say i’ve ever experienced any issues.

You poor sod (Reading being my home town team, I’ve had the misfortune of watching them for nearly 40 years, of which maybe 4 or 5 have been any fun)

madweedavey
    Free Member

Why not take the boy to one of the Autumn tests at Murrayfield? I know it’s not football or the premiership, but i’m sure he’ll love the atmosphere.

weeksy

Its OK jonv, I only work 5 mins away so easy to park and we get to at least watch a cracking Keeper who I’d say is the only light in a very dull team. Although we’ve not been this season yet for various reasons.

binners

Why not take the boy to one of the Autumn tests at Murrayfield? I know it’s not football or the premiership, but i’m sure he’ll love the atmosphere.

What is it with you lot? He wants to go and watch a Premiership football match. Because he loves football! Is that so difficult to get your head around?

Put yourself in his 7 year old shoes. You’re obviously into your Rugby. God only knows why. So the 7 year old you says to your dad ‘Daaaaaaaaaad…….. Its the Autumn tests at Murrayfield. I really, really, really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really really, really want to go. Canwe? can we? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? canwe? can we?.

AWWWWWW DAD PLEEEEEEEEASSSE CAN WE?!!!!!

Then he gets you tickets for United v Bournemouth at Bournemouth, bcause thats what he fancied, and… well… you’ll love the atmosphere. Even though you hate football

How would you feel?

You’d think your dad was a ****! And you’d be right. Its not about you! Take him to the footy FFS! He’ll love it! It doesn’t have to be United. I’ve never been to the 2 tracksuits for a tenner stadium, but the atmosphere always looks ace! Which is probably just as well, as the football certainly doesn’t! 😀

hammerite
    Free Member

To be fair Binners, the rugby isn’t a bad idea… on top of going to a football match. I think exposure to and watching professional sport at the highest level is something all kids should do.

A few years ago we managed an Autumn going to a handful of West Ham matches, prem Rugby, England football, NFL, a Benfica match in Lisbon, World Cup Cyclocross, Tour of Britain… Jnr loved it. Don’t have quite enough time for all that any more.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Binners is spot on. Rugby? Jesus wept.

freddyg
    Free Member

Binners makes a very, very valid point though. The lad wants to go to a football match!

I’m a Sunderland supporter of over 45 years and I would also recommend taking him to see Newcastle if they’re your local team. Big stadium, decent football but always a good atmosphere.

If premiership footie is a must, then take him to Sunderland. Tickets are cheap and there’s always a decent crowd – shame the football will be poor! Pick your game though, look for decent opposition.

The next home game is at the end of the month against Arsenal. Get tickets in the family section or the west stand (a bit more expensive therefore attract a different kind of supporter).

hora
    Free Member

Of course on derby days it’ll be those Welsh, etc city fans.

Apart from the season ticket holders where do they all come from? It’s a tourist destination?…

Ducks (quack) 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Would you take a 7 yr old to a premiership football match?’ is closed to new replies.