• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Would you swap a Focus for a Xsara Picasso?
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Ive got a 2.0 petrol 02 Focus with 120,000 miles. Fuel economy is rubbish at less than 30mpg. However, we only do 10,000 a year. It’s costing money now as parts start to wear out.

My dad is considering selling/possible giving me his 54 Xsara Picasso. It is a 1.6 diesel with around 150,000 miles. It’s been very reliable and so far no major bills. However, it’s only got 3 glow plugs. The fourth sheared out and is seized in the head. No risk of it falling into the cylinder. The plug hole is blanked with a bolt. Just means it has only got three plus to start it on a cold winters morning.

Would you swap the cars?

johnners
    Free Member

I wouldn’t. I suppose it would really depends on what’s wearing out though, and why you believe nothing’s going to be wearing out on the Citroen. Also sub 30 is pretty poor, is your driving a bit on the “enthusiastic” side?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

It’s my wife driving! She gets around 27-28mpg but she does have lots of short bursts up to 70mph and then traffic lights, roundabouts etc. I get nearer 34mpg on the A-roads.

You’re thinking the same as me. I wonder what would go wrong the moment I got rid of the Focus. We don’t really need a bigger car either.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

I generally find with focuses they are expensive between 100000-120000 as parts start to wear out, batteries, altinators, pipes bearings etc. But then you come out the other side and your good for another 60000 miles.

z1ppy

For that mileage, nah I’d stick with the focus, IME diesels seem to get more complicated/expensive issues. Where-as the focus has been around years, all the issues are known & parts are cheap

trail_rat
    Free Member

Citroen will be arriving at its next round of consumables (assuming it had the first set) shortly.

The only upside for te citroen is – dont see much in the way of rust where as focus’ love to rust like an old sprinter.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Trail_rat yes rust looking like it will start to appear on the Focus in the next year or so. That’s probably what annoys me the most about Fords. They seem to have a pre-set rust switch.

At the moment I’m leaning towards sticking with the Focus. I’ve serviced it every year since I bought it in 2006. Hopefully I know it well enough for it to last us another year while we save for a new car.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I regret switching my older focus for a Citroen, I too felt that the Focus was just about to cost me and decided to switch, only the Citroen’s ( I have 2) have cost me a fortune and the Focus is still going. Things like the brake disc being part of the hub, no cheap disc replacement around £240 an end. Mine have only done 50k a piece and the parts they have went through is ridiculous, never mind the other faults I’m living with. One good thing about the Picasso though is the bike swallowing ability though this is the same with many people carriers(probably not on their radar but folks looking for a van consider should consider one). I can’t see me ever buying another(Citroen).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where as both my fords suffered electrical gremilins – one liked to just lock and unlock the central locking till the battery was flat occasionally . Even the autospark couldnt figure that out.

In comparison they make my citroen and peugeot current cars look golden.

What xsara picasso you got ? Ecp has disks listed for most models of xsara picasso for buttons – very easy to fit as well.

You dont mean wheel bearings do you ? – if so i agree no cheap part really availible but there is a trick if you have the correct tools – the bearings a standard item down the bearing shop. – ive replaced one in 85k and its looking like the other sides going to need doing soon.

Best thing about french cars is the depreciation – most folk look at that as a down side – i got a 3year old 30k vehicle with a clean history for 3500 quid. Its now on 95k with very little more than wear and tear items replaced.

parkesie
    Free Member

I would but not for a 1.6 diesel that will eat its turbo. 2.0 diesel is the pic of the bunch.

hora
    Free Member

It would have eaten its turbo by now if it was going to happen.

Cheep to you?

I ran a XP for 15k. Awesomely practical and it took me to France/Flanders/Bruges. The old Focus is tiny in comparison.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Probably free. It’s the top spec Exclusive.

We don’t really need the space though. I’ve already got Thule bars and carriers for the Focus so bike transport is not an issue.

The Focus has had a few problems with the central locking. The key fob seems to stop working regularly. And the heated mirrors have stopped working.

hora
    Free Member

The bars might not be wide enough for the Pic. Its as wide as a Silvee Spur..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To answer the OPs question – No. I’d rather gouge my eyes out with my elbows.

Northwind

hora – Member

It would have eaten its turbo by now if it was going to happen.

Yep, because things stop wearing out at about 125000 miles then last forever.

hora
    Free Member

Maybe his Dad is having oiled properly? Chrisdiesel on here recently serviced a 1.6D with over 400, 000 miles I think.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Would you swap a Focus for a Xsara Picasso?’ is closed to new replies.