Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Would You Stop Working?
  • shooterman

If you got all your non mortgage debt cleared and the mortgage down to sub 30k, would you continue to work in a stressful environment ?

MrNutt
    Free Member

hell no!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If I had enough to live on, yes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AndyP
    Free Member

If you got all your non mortgage debt cleared and the mortgage down to sub 30k, would you continue to work in a stressful environment ?
    check
    and
    check
    and
    yes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Been there done that.

So yes is the answer – you will never think " I wish I spent more time at work"

Work to live not live to work

ddmonkey

Yes and no – I'd still do something but I'd take time out / retrain etc…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Work to live not live to work

Amen

tankslapper
    Free Member

Life's too short!

Get out and stay out – totally agree with TJ/MSFL

foxyrider
    Free Member

But if you lost your health would you have enough or a backup plan? Otherwise yes 😉

oddjob
    Free Member

Does stressful = not enjoyable?

I'd keep working if it was still fun and if not then start to look for something else, but you still need to pay the bills don't you?

I took a year out, did some qualifications, travelled a bit and then got back into the rat race. I have no regrets about it (that 's how I met Mrs OJ) but I did have to start from scratch again afterwards which can be a bit of a pain.

legend76
    Free Member

my mortgage is payed off and i.ve very little debt but i still work 66 plus hours a week. i still need to maintain a lifestyle level i'm happy with but on the other hand if i really hated my job i wouldnt think twice about changing it,as said above lifes to short.

ski
    Free Member

Well I managed to get mortgage free, then I decided to get married 😉

Do I need to tell you any more!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I like to be busy. does busy=stressful?

Hmm I dont know if I had no debt I would probably be doing the same job as I like the chalanges and pace.

Part of me would like to own a little cafe and potter about making cakes but I know I would get bored pretty quickly.

Garry_Lager

No for me, I would not stop working. I'm lucky in having a job that I love to the extent where it's hard to even see it as a job. Can be extremely stressful as well, but it's largely the sort of stress that comes from yourself trying to be successful, rather than other people stressing you out.

AndyP
    Free Member

out of interest…do the 'yes' answers refer to the 'would you stop working' bit in the title, or the 'would you continue to work' bit in the question?
    mine was the latter…

GrahamS

Aren't you supposed to just buy a bigger house once you get mortgage free?

I dunno. It's you contented people with your sound work/life balance that will ruin this country. 😉

juan
    Free Member

Part of me would like to own a little cafe and potter about making cakes but I know I would get bored pretty quickly.

Coffee van for MTB event?
    I am pretty confident i could get you invited to the BBB 2 if you want. I kinda know the master 😉

Drac

Almost there but I'll continue to work as the cash gives me some nice luxuries and gives me kids some great treats. Nice holidays are planned for when the youngest is a bit older. Mortgage would have been almost gone but we've been doing up the house over the years so it's bigger now but still same amount of years left as per original mortgage so we pay a good bit more.

backhander
    Free Member

Smash the last £30k out, then its all gravy baby.

jahwomble
    Free Member

No I'd setup my own business doing something I love, which I did.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Probably carry on working actually.

I got into my line of work by doing it first as a hobby, and actually quite enjoy it. I'd quit full time work, but carry on working freelance being able to pick and choose the jobs I did.

That, and theres ALWAYS stuff to spend more cash on!

anokdale
    Free Member

I carried on but only work 6 months of the year now.

allthepies
    Free Member

Paid off mortgage – check
    No debts – check
    Still working – check
    Stressful job – sometimes!

samuri
    Free Member

No debts – check
    Still working – check
    Stressful job – constantly

I'm currently trying to resolve the last issue.

flip
    Free Member

Im 40 got no debt, no mortgage and savings.

Oh and i've retired 😉 been dead busy today i had to go Specsavers to get my eyes tested, don't worry they're ace 😛

I did think when i stopped working all i'd do is run and ride, but i've got too much time to do that all the while so i got some other interests as well.

druidh
    Free Member

Mortgage – what's that? All paid off, no other debt, a wee pension, wife working too. Now I find myself working in a bike shop which is, I guess, as stressful as I want to make it. After a couple of months of mooching around, I knew I had to do something for the sale of my sanity.

jonb
    Free Member

Depends, why is it stressful? If I needed to work I would want to work somewhere that challenged me and kept me interested, I'd never want to do a dull mindless job.

shooterman

All very inspiring posts. Now, if I could just persuade my wife to stop spending money!

Stressful for a number of reasons ie workload, public, harder to make money etc. Starting to feel like I just don't want to do it any more.

aracer
    Free Member

There seems to some assumption in the OP that no debts and no mortgage means no bills – I don't have either, but still have plenty of bills to pay every month, and would still like to build up enough pension / savings to be able to give up entirely. I have enjoyed my job in the past, but it's changed a lot in recent years and right now am really hating it – but what else do I do to make money? Factor in that I don't want to move (is a superb place to live with two small children – I find it hard to imagine finding somewhere else as good, let alone better) and that the job I do is only 10 minutes commute, with the chance to get out on the hills at lunch. I'm just not so convinced that the grass would be greener with a long commute to anything else, when I don't even know what that anything else might be. That and I'd really be after 4 days a week as I have at the moment.

I'm sure from all that my job doesn't sound so bad – well apart from the 7.5 hours I'm actually in there every day I guess it's not! If I could come up with some positive ideas I'd be out like a shot, but really don't have any.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Of course. Like there's an alternative? Don't assume you'll be happy not working. The human condition is misery. You may as well be miserable and able to pay your bills than miserable and not.

scotabroad

All these lucky people with no debts and mortgages. I for one have very high debts relatively speaking but do have assets to balance that. I also have a stressful job, but its "good" stress and I am happy to keep on working and paying off those debts.

However I have also found through bitter experience where I found myself in a job that was also stressful but in a bad way that I could not tolerate it. After much soul searching I resigned, after which I realised it was the worst 6 months of my life and I have not looked back since.

Choice is yours.

plumber
    Free Member

No debts – check
    Still working – no
    Stressful job – no
    Riding when I like – check
    Bonking ugly Canadian chicks – check
    I really need to address my work/life/bonking/riding balance

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Would You Stop Working?’ is closed to new replies.