Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • would you stop for a passed out rider?
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Well at Ae when I had my big spill, one chap stopped and changed my innertube as I only had the use of one arm. Another couple then stopped and used their first aid kit to clean me up. Another group came down and the chap in front ensured that others would slow down as I was still on the track, but to the side. And two other groups slowed, just to check everything was ok as they could see that others were helping me. So I would hope that I would err on the side of caution and offer help to others were I to see that someone was in trouble.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tiger – the edit has done it. Now I have to explain myself to my colleagues. Thanks.

Xylene
    Free Member

i do that everytime i join her in the shower

Do you have whose leg is hairier competitions?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thats awful that people just ignored you.
    Perhaps they thought you were having a nap. More likely they "didn't want to get involved" yeah cheers for that.
    I would have stopped as i have something called a conscience. Might have even given you some food to help bring you back round.

U31
    Free Member

On a similar note..
    Big thumbs up to the three Asian lads at Gisburn last year who stopped to help mend my snapped chain, i had all the stuff to fix the bike but they all offered parts/ tools etc…

And 2 week ago when i snapped the chain, a big English Archers salute to the guy who actually bypassed a section at the top of the berms at Lee so as not to pass or even make eye contact with me there..
    Bike upside down, off the trail, chain tool in hand, it was fairly obvious i had this in hand, but if the situation was reversed i'd have shouted to ask if everything was ok…

philconsequence
    Free Member

Do you have whose leg is hairier competitions?

at first i thought she had joined this forum without telling me, but The Southern Yeti is apparently not her….

nothing wrong with someone growing their own ugg-boots 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

I had an off in the Lakes a few years back. I ended up dazed, clothing torn off and bleeding. 3 walkers selfish pricks went past me and didn't bat an eyelid.

It took a very nice horsey woman to stop and help me sort myself out. She was almost in as much shock as me, but walked me to the nearest village to make sure I was OK ( turned out a broken shoulder/busted wheel on the Orange 5/lots of missing skin).

I couldn't imagine what sort of person would not do the same for someone injured out in the countryside on their own.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That's what you think…. 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member

considered getting checked out, but the sensations and prgression from eyes blacking out etc was almost exactly the same as when i blacked out as a kid (again due to not eating and lots of exercise).. lesson learnt, remember to fuel up first and fall in a slightly more inconvenient place haha

Excellent diagnosis there Dr Phil. 🙄

FFS – go get yourself checked out! 'Bonking' is one thing – blacking out for 15 minutes is most certainly something far worse!

allthepies
    Free Member

yeah in the south, and i think there is probably an element of us southerners are a little less likely to approach a stranger sad but probably true…

You're lucky. Oooop North you'd now be sans bike/watch/wallet….

😉

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Ditto what Tootall says- best to be on the safe side. The NHS is free after all. When I bonk I feel ill and a bit foggy but pushing ahead to the point of blacking out is pretty much impossible!

Anyway, yeah, I'd always stop. Even if it were a race and I were having the ride of my life.

philconsequence
    Free Member

tootall…. i'm a man, and as a man i reserve the right to pretend i'm fine until its too late, at which point i'll deflect any critisism for not getting checked out earlier by saying something manly and awesome 😉

pretty confident it was a blood-sugar thing at the moment, a sugar hit got me feeling right again and some flapjack 2 miles later meant i felt all good and rode for another 9 miles before getting home again. if i feel remotely dizzy or my vision does the same thing again then i'm off to a&e to check for brain-tumors.

cheers for the concern though 🙂

Drac

blacking out for 15 minutes is most certainly something far worse!

He didn't if he'd blacked out he'd not of been able to tell us how long it went on for.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well the worst I've ever bonked, I got trembly, ill and weak far far before I felt like passing out, to the point where I'd have to stop riding. You are incredibly unaware of your body or you're borderline diabetic or something!

He didn't if he'd blacked out he'd not of been able to tell us how long it went on for.

Unless he checked his watch.

MrNutt
    Free Member

when ever I'm out I'm always looking for excuses to stop so half dead bikers are a bonus, its hilarious the poses you can put them in, remember folks it may be a horrific life threatening situation for them but for you its an opportunity to engineer a comedy gold situation! once I found a rider trapped in his rear mech, the poor soul was never going to make it back to the car park alive so I adjusted his tyres so they didn't line up with his valves and posted it on here, god how we laughed! happy days 🙂

every cloud eh?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I agree, to have gotten to that point you must have been really ignoring the warning signs! I've done it once, nearly passed out and felt like my heart was about to rattle its way out of my chest. I too stopped at theside of the trail and people passed me while I wheezed about on the floor. No-one asked me if I was ok. But I can't say it ever even came to my mind to complain about the lack of attention.

If I see someone crashed/injured I'll check they're ok. If they just feel ill/are sat to one side/look like they're resting/dead I generally leave them to it. I'd find it bloody annoying if everyoen passing asked if I was OK, so I assume they would too.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i think (cant be bothered to read back as lifes to short) that i stated i blacked out and it then took about 15 minutes to feel normal again, i have no idea how long i was actually blacked out for, jsut aware one second i was not on the ground, and the next i was trying to open my eyes and apparently on the ground.

i felt absolutely fine until that point, i felt fine as i got to the top of the hill, and it was only once i stopped that it all kicked in.

borderline diabetic is a good bet, all the men in my family are diabetic and i keep an eye on my blood sugar but at the moment with a healthy diet it not a worry…. however yesterday i had forgotten to eat like the numpty i am super awesome real man i am

TooTall
    Free Member

Drac – Member

Thanks for that helpful remark. I really hope I never have need of a sarcastic medic in the near future. I take it you'd tell a patient with such symptoms to drive home and MTFU or something? 🙄

Crack on then Phil – denial can lead to some interesting situations. Not that I'm saying that such a blackout could be indicative of something else – like a former colleague who was 'always tired' and had a toe amputated due to his ignored diabetes.

clubber
    Free Member

FFS – go to the doctor. I'm not one to go on a whim either but blacking out is not normal at all and you clearly have a history of diabetes in the family. Not getting it treated/checked out even if it's not so bad most of the time can really screw you up longer term – to the point where you can't do things you love like cycling…

Left untreated, high blood glucose levels can cause major health problems:

•blindness
    •kidney failure
    •heart disease
    •stroke
    •and nerve damage (which can, in turn, lead to impotence)
    http://www.malehealth.co.uk/node/18816

So potentially no cycling and no sex…

Drac

Unless he checked his watch.

They tend not to remember what happened leading up to the few minutes of blacking out.

Thanks for that helpful remark. I really hope I never have need of a sarcastic medic in the near future. I take it you'd tell a patient with such symptoms to drive home and MTFU or something?

Depends what I found when I got there, if he'd recovered like he describes then yes I probably would with the suggestion he sees his Dr or calls 999 if it happens again in the next few days,

U31
    Free Member

FFS!
    I've not been anywhere near properly fit since last November,i like my pies,i like my beer, and i like my weekend naughties-

As a result of this, i was pushing the bike up the fireroad to Home Baked at Gisburn on Saturday, 2 groups of riders i was talking to earlier in the carpark asked if i was ok..
    Did i take offence? No. None was meant, none was taken..

Ask away, its better then being in trouble and ignored

takisawa2

This happened to neverfastenuff.
    I was there.
    Unfortuneltey we mistook his physical stance, on-all-fours – anus raised, & deep throated groaning for a hightened state of arousal.
    We quickly doused him in the urine of a horny female Deer, & retreated to a safe distance.
    As the Stag climbed aboard for a second go it quickly became apparent that Phil was not enjoying this.
    We had misdiagnosed his condition.
    So we rode off.

philconsequence
    Free Member

again, cheers for the concern people, but i do regularly check my blood sugar and take as many preventative steps as i can to slow down the onset of diabetes…

sees his Dr or calls 999 if it happens again in the next few days,

… agreed, i cant look after other people if i'm not well myself.

denial can lead to some interesting situations. Not that I'm saying that such a blackout could be indicative of something else – like a former colleague who was 'always tired' and had a toe amputated due to his ignored diabetes

my dad went through the too tired phase, he was a textbook case of type2 diabetes, took a LOT to convince him to get checked out and he learnt his lesson…. hence me keeping an eye on the ol' blood sugar and trying this silly idea that a healthy diet and regular exercycling will help 🙂

i wish it had been some of you wandering past yesterday thats for sure!!

shortcut

If there really were dog eggs involved I would leave you on your own! Euch! 😕

Otherwise definately stop! :mrgreen:

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Takisawa2 – as I recall you nicked my phone – used up all my credit, drove off in my car and went to my house as well…. I had to hitch a ride back – I was sooo 'horny' that I had to be strapped to a plank and put in the back of a van… however, I had four nurses that night 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

nearly dead person from STW: "you can use the Audi locator app on my iPhone to find it"

LIKE 😛

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘would you stop for a passed out rider?’ is closed to new replies.