Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Would you stop?
  • JonBurns
    Free Member

Saw a guy at the side of the road this morning obviously having a ‘mare with a puntcure. I know he works at the same place I do so turned around to see if he needed a lift. Apparently someone was already en route so he said no.

I was just thinking though I beleive I did the right thing but it did take about a minute to decide whether or not to turn round and go back? would most people do the same or is there anyone who wouldn’t have done this?

Should you always have a track pump and tool kit in your boot just incase?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

kama kama kama

trailmonkey

He’s probably in his office now telling everyone that you tried to pick him up 😉

nickc

Yes. You did the right thing. It’s sad that this needs affirming.

bigsi
    Free Member

Who wouldn’t stop to check if someone they knew (even if it was just by sight rather than to have a conversation with) is ok or if they need any help 😕

theotherjonv

on the trail I always stop to make sure that someone’s got all the bits they need and don’t need any help.

On the road, it depends – whether I have time, state of repair (if he’s pumping up chances are he’s good, if he’s standing looking at it looking lost then maybe not as good) Not that i carry a tool kit with me but at least I could offer a lift / make a phone call…..

I’ve given up a spare tube a couple of times (always carry 2 spare for this reason now), loaned a pump a couple of times, but the only time I’ve really been needed was with a kid (13/14ish) who had a puncture kit in his ‘all in one’ saddle pack but also had a chainstore bolted rear axle and couldn’t get the wheel out, and hadn’t sussed that you can do a repair without taking the wheel out. 10 mins well spent, the lad would have learned two things from it and maybe one day he’ll repay the favour, and it’ll go round into a big circle and save my ass one day.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

i’ve given away quite a few innertubes in my time to randoms and refused payment. What goes around comes around and all that.

If this chap was a fatty, I wouldn’t have stopped though – for his own benefit and to reduce the carbon footprint.

rOcKeTdOg

if i was on a bike aswell i’d ask if they needed anything,wether i knew the person or not, in a car and i didn’t know the person i’d not stop

Marge
    Free Member

Was he in a car or on a bike?

You definitely did the right thing. Good on you.

I commute with a motorbike and have the same stop / no stop doubts if I see a stationary motorbike on the highway.
    Then again I think – stopping on the hard shoulder = death in waiting & as a father of 2 should I expose myslef to that kind of risk…..

Garry_Lager

All UST users are duty bound to stop and dispense tubes to our less-enlightened brethren on the trail. You get a leaflet about it when you buy an 819 rim – I’ve given loads away over the years. Have to say that it’s just good form to stop and see how things are going if you see a lone guy broken down on the trail. Always think it’s a bit unfriendly if people swan by me without a word when I’m fixing my bike trailside.

If you’re in a car though (was the OP in a car? Not sure) it’s not always possible to stop – packing a spare track pump in the boot strikes me as taking things a bit too far.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s sad that this needs affirming.

No it isn’t. There has never been a golden age of human behaviour. It’s a sign that the OP gives a sh*t, which is more than many do.

No, you should be riding to work yourself…!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Yes, I always carry a selection of tools in case I encounter a cyclist in difficulty, and a track pump for the inevitable under inflated tyre. I don’t expect any gratitude mind – it’s all in a day’s work for bicycle repairman.

matt_outandabout

I would stop – heck when pedaling we do, so why not when you are in a car?

Couple of times out walking or heading home in the car from the Peak I have helped with minor mechanical bits.

hora
    Free Member

If it was the middle of nowhere yes. Urban. No. TBH with roadtyres I’d be more hinderence than use considering the amount of valves I’ve sheared off, badly seated tyres/innertubes etc.

ski
    Free Member

Errr, as a student I once helped a person in a VW Beetle who had a flat and could not start their car.

It was in the college car park and they had managed to stall it on the exit road, so blocking all traffic in and out.

So we swapped the wheel and with 3-4 friends we bumped start it and we were giving a lift into town for a liquid lunch.

Job done……….

Next day at college, the college head calls a meeting for everyone in the sports hall, asking if any of the students had seen who had stole his pride and joy!

opps 😉

As for the question, stop and offer help is the unwritten rule.

julianwilson
    Free Member

First Superman Oh look – is it a Stockbroker?
    Second Superman Is it a Quantity Surveyor?
    Third Superman Is it a Church Warden?
    All No! It’s BICYCLE REPAIR MAN!

JonBurns
    Free Member

I was in my car, drove past and instead of turning right a little down the road I went straight on and turned round an the roundabout down the road right round another roundabout and pulled up besides him.

If I had’ve stopped straight away when I saw him I wouldn’t have had to do the detour. Unfortunately as I was in decisive I had to turn round.

It did leave a warm glow that I’d at least tried to help another person and just hope that when I’m on the same route to work on my bike and had any trouble someone would stop for me.

takisawa2

I’d have stopped. But that’s just me. I’d never see anyone left if I could help. Once helped push a car off the road when it conked out. Bloke & his missus never even said thanks. What goes around comes around & you certainly do reap what you sew.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Would you stop?’ is closed to new replies.