Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Would you still cycle if……..?
  • ton

it had no health benefits at all.

whilst riding to our digs, after a few pots of ale while on tour, one of my riding pals asked me why I ride a bike.
    I told him that I just loved to travel under my own steam, and be out in the countryside and weather.
    he said he did it for the same reasons, and even if it was shown that it offered no health benefits, he would still cycle cos he loved it so much.

what about you?

prawny

I’d probably still ride if it was bad for me, it’s ace. A lot like beer.

Simon

I cycle for the mental health benefits.

AlexSimon

I’d probably still ride if it was bad for me, it’s ace.

This

lowey

I ride to enjoy myself, see some stunning sights and ride with ace people. The health benefits are purely a bonus on top.

plumber
    Free Member

I love riding – just riding anywhere anytime – it brings out the inner child

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Tbh, at the speed I ride at, and the beer I drink while riding. I don’t think there are any health benefits. 😀
    I cycle because I enjoy it, and as simon says, it keeps me sane.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’d probably still ride if it was bad for me

Also this ^

richmtb

Judging by the noises my knees make on a cold morning I’m sure it is bad for me!

Health benefits are incidental. For me it really just an excuse to go and play in the mud and dirt.

brassneck

I do ride as it’s the most palatable way of keeping fit, but probably would anyway. Wouldn’t try as hard on the hills though.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

To flip the question around, I am not sure I’d ride if it only gave me physical rather than mental health benefits. However, if it puts a smile on your face, that’s reason enough for me.

lardman
    Free Member

as Simon above.

The fact that it keeps my weight to under 100 stone, is merely a nice bonus.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

I’ve always been into weight lifting and running for the health and fitness aspect, plus the competitive streak in me.

Mountain biking was always for the fun.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I ride for two reasons:
    a) I like to keep fit
    b) I bloody love our Countryside

I think both of those elements keep me mentally sound. 😀

Tracey

I ride because I enjoy it, if I didn’t enjoy it I wouldn’t have done it for so long. Any other benefits are an added bonus

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hypothetical question does not compute. Next you’ll be asking me if I’d give up beer if it was shown not to be good for me

ton

now,what I want to know next is, how many of you do that strava thing……I hope non. 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just started, I used to use Endo but no longer. I’m after other folks routes and guides to segments, I don’t intend to log/upload anything of mine though, and can’t be bothered chasing KOM’s.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

now,what I want to know next is, how many of you do that strava thing……I hope non.

Why? Are you bored of this topic and want to go off on a tangent? 😉

As it happens I “do” Strava. I find it interesting to be able to quantify when I’m feeling like I’m riding well with some proof. I also won’t lie in that I get a bit of a buzz comparing myself to other riders who I subjectively think are “better” than me. Tying this back to the OP, I would still cycle if I had no Strava 😆

Northwind

I cycle despite the health benefits. It’s hard sometimes.

I do Strava but I don’t think I do it right- I like to know if I’m getting faster or slower, I don’t really care if someone else is faster. Sometimes it’s interesting to see where you are in the sliding scale I suppose… Found it really interesting to compare a load of testride bikes over the same sections though.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I ride cos i have a really nice bike, Oh and i can do wheelies and we ALL know they impress the chicks so im all for that

prawny

I do strava, but I’m looking for PR’s not KOMs it’s fun to go fast, so it’s really fun to see how to go faster 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Cycling is bad for me and I still do it.

oldboy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go anywhere near my bike if I could run again.

edlong
    Free Member

Given that cycling is the only remotely healthy thing I do, I very much doubt it would stop me. As a few others have mentioned, I get more from the mental than physical gains anyway.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Much as above cycling is my time to unwind and relax.
    At the moment it does very little for my health but I’d not be with out it

Nothing lifts my day like a bumble out on my hack bike

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I’m bad for cycling but still ride.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

yeah

molgrips
    Free Member

I would, yes, of course.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Strava like racing is for the insecure 😆

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Same as above, I would. I don’t do it for health anyway, just the buzz.
    And I “do” Strava, I’m almost addicted, I don’t seem to be able to ride without it, but I’m not chasing KOM’s. I just like to know my own stats.

matther01
    Free Member

To escape the wife and kids and have a bit of me time in the great outdoors. Fitness is never contemplated…or wasn’t until after dyfi!!

5thElefant
    Free Member

No. Bikes are just exercise equipment to me.

RobHilton
    Free Member

For me it keeps the depression at bay.

Physically it is bad for me – based on my extensive list of injuries (which smiley to use here?? 😥 😕 😉 🙂 😳 :mrgreen: )

Mostly it’s the buzz that means I can’t stop.

ton

i like the replies……i like that it helps people to keep sane.
    i dont like strava, yet i use endomondo to log my miles…..odd!!

LMT
    Free Member

For me its an echo of the above keeps me from the darkside and cycling helps my bad knee and keeps the surgery at bay. But the biggest thing is the social aspect, im not a very social person but cycling lets me catch up with friends etc..

choppersquad
    Free Member

Yes to biking, no to Strava.
    I don’t even know what a KOM is?
    Really not bothered whether I’m faster than last week/somebody else.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I don’t even know what a KOM is?

King Of The Mountain..
    Fastest up the hill by all accounts.

ads678

I love riding bikes, always have, always will. it’s good that it gives me some exercise as well, but i’d do it any way.

mental benefits? well, i’ve been feeling a bit shit this week, full of cold, work shit, not cycled to work this week for various reason. Had a bit of a go at the kids earlier, just cos they were doing kid stuff! Thought to my self afterwards while the kids were crying(!!) “i’d better go for a ride”, feel much better now. kids probably hate me but i’ll just buy them some chocolate tomorrow, they’ll be reet……. 😉

Duggan

No, I wouldn’t bother. Cycling’s just more fun than the gym for me. I prefer running but as running is so bad for your joints cycling seems like the next best alternative, or at least to dilute the running with something else.

It certainly doesn’t make me feel like a child again, or soothe my soul or whatever else lots of other people seem to get out of it. Fair play to them though but I guess that’s just not me.

I often think that to truly like mountain biking you have to like tools, maintenance and all that practical stuff and I’m really not into that at all so a lot of that stuff just seems like a drag to me when i could just go for a run.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Would you still cycle if……..?’ is closed to new replies.