Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Would you ride with a few cm of steerer showing?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Just finished fitting my new forks. I can tighten the headset using another stem before clamping the other stem on the steerer.

I can screw a top cap onto the exposed steerer tube so it’s not a proper applecorer shape.

Is it as dangerous as it feels / looks?

My boys are in bed and my lights are charged. I was ready for a 2 hour night time blast.

hols2
    Free Member

It’s not really dangerous provided the stem clamp bolts are properly tightened IMO. If you crash, there are lots of hard things to hurt yourself on. The stem and steerer tube are probably fairly low on the list.

scotroutes

Carbon or metal steerer?

If carbon, I’d be worried that the stem is clamping on the steerer tube in a different place from the bung.

And I know that it’s supposed to be the stem that holds the pre-load but I’ve seen some slip without the added retention of the headset cap.

For the sake of a couple of minutes with a hacksaw, I’d just cut the steerer.

hols2
    Free Member

You could also just keep the second stem on there.

theotherjonv

Depends whether anyone will see you or not 😉

Never heard of the stem clamping a different area to the bung bit, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I did this, as a lot of people do, to find the sweet spot for the stem etc when fitting a new set of forks. I kept it like that for months and months and it causes no harm at all.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Am I reading right this right? You have no spacers above the stem? I’d put some on if that’s the case if only so you can adjust the stem/headset out on the trail without having to carry an extra stem around with you.
    Also I always run my stem, not loose of course, but just tight enough to do the job. That way if you crash it should rotate on the steerer before bending or breaking the next weakest link.

As for extra head-tube sticking out the top, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d rather put up with that than change my frame one day and find it’s too short..

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bSnbjHiFXc[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hufqxb2nusI[/video]

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Steel steerer (well, not carbon).

I’ll keep the second stem in my bag just in case things work loose like the bottom race not being all the way down – I’ve done that before.

I have all the spacers I own on the fork (2cm under and 1cm above the stem) but still needed the second stem to tighten the headset.

I’m sure there are more dangerous things on a bike. It had to pull a chainring out of my calf and have seen a brake lever through a forearm but this looked bad. Maybe aesthetically more than dangerous!

I’ll get the tube cut properly tomorrow – off for a ride now.

Cheers all

scaredypants

Most of my bikes have had at least an inch of spare steerer – always kept them long for resale value (but have never sold a fork 😕 )

Entered my first TT last summer on a “new” P-X frame that had about 6 inches – they wondered whether they should allow me to ride 😳

I tend to make them safe and really cool-looking though, so it’s OK

[/url]P1020155 by scaredypants, on Flickr[/img]

srshaw
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of cm on mine, but use spacers. To be honest I left it for resale but it’s a real eyesore. I’ll definately cut it at some point.

I wouldn’t worry about the bung thing. Not an issue with steel/alu steerers since they are designed to be used with a star fangled nut. To be honest I’d not be too bothered with a carbon steerer either.

clevertrevor
    Free Member

Liked above i rarely cut steerers and often have 20mm above the stem (so long as not carbon). Always have spacers on tho. Not sure I’d be 100% convinced everything was going to stay tight without spacers or a 2nd stem in place.

If leave 2nd stem on why not go whole hog and have 2 handlebars, one for cruising one for head down. Split the brakes front and rear between the bars. You could well have a whole new niche there.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

You could well have a whole new niche there.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Was a fine ride. I don’t have a 1 1/8″ hole through my abdomen. Forks were awful but that’s because I forgot the shock pump to improve them.

egb81
    Free Member

My stem is slammed with 15mm of spacers on top. I haven’t died yet. Unless you’re entirely sure about the height of the front end then I wouldn’t cut it fully until you’re done fettling.

vincienup
    Free Member

@paton, that’s kind of what would worry me.

I’ve crashed and shoved bars in my gut against the ground before and I’m totally with the idea of bar plugs as a result. I’m not really sure why a steerer should be any different…

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Was a fine ride. I don’t have a 1 1/8″ hole through my abdomen. Forks were awful but that’s because I forgot the shock pump to improve them.

Measure the shock pump and see if it will fit within the overlong steerer tube. Two birds, one stone!

clevertrevor
    Free Member

Love that pic, even with 2 handlebars there’s still loads of spacers

maccruiskeen

I’ve never cut a steerer on any of my bikes (being tall means most of my bikes have relatively tall head tubes anyway). I just put some spacers above the stem as well as below.

Its never been a conscious decision to leave them like that but I’ve always fancied putting a few rides in before I settle on a stem height and never actually bother with it again after that.

What is important though is non of the spacers match either the stem… or each other – they’re a smorgasbord of different thicknesses of alu is silver and black, some carbon ones and one or two crinkly ones that PX sold back in the day.

scaredypants

that AG2R crash, looks to me like his base bar stays attached and it’s just the extensions that came off. That’s not a steerer failing, it’s the anchor point for the extensions – isn’t it ?

I’m totally with the idea of bar plugs as a result. I’m not really sure why a steerer should be any different…

I don’t think anyone’s saying you should ride without a cap on the steerer – even my bikes with way more steerer and no spacers have a cap on, even though it’s not actually functional (couldn’t use it to re-load the headset without putting loads of spacers or a spare stem on)

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve done similar and borrowed spacers from one bike to get another headset setup while I get around to buying more spacers (really not worth trimming 5-10mm off a steerer IMHO).
    Not really dangerous but could be inconvenient/wobbly for half a ride.
    The last thing in the world I would do is quickly cut a steerer before a ride!

tpbiker
    Free Member

I didn’t think the star nut served any purpose other than to preload the headset. Don’t see an issue with removing it once the stem is fitted

scaredypants

I remember that crash paton – was a lot of chat at the time IIRR about whether it was steerer, stem or cap failure. Shame he couldn’t be a bit more descriptive in his interview 🙁

I remember one of the US postal team (Hincapie?) snapping a steerer too in Roubaix. Was a non-standard fork though, I think, supposedly of some cheapo commuter bike (?)

nedrapier

New fork. Wanted to slap it on and ride before it rained. Had just enough spacers that I didn’t have to get the hacksaw out.

Didn’t die.

coconut
    Free Member

why not impale a potatoe or apple on it ….safety first!

eulach

I’ll bet some of you wear socks with sandals too.

antigee

scaredypants – Member
    scaredypants – Member
    Most of my bikes have had at least an inch of spare steerer…….

……Entered my first TT last summer on a “new” P-X frame that had about 6 inches – they wondered whether they should allow me to ride

presumably they decided to let you ride but had a side bet on which vital organ the lack of plugs on the bars would take out 8)

scaredypants

had plugs in all orifices*, steerer was just a bit longer than needed

*(except “that” one – I really struggle to get the power down when that’s in place)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Would you ride with a few cm of steerer showing?’ is closed to new replies.