Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Would you ride Snowdon solo?
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Thinking of the route in this months MBR.
    If not dose anyone want to do it with me first week September early in the morning?

jam-bo

yes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes, I’d also do it in the middle of winter and in the dark

Stevelol
    Free Member

I did last August, descending the Rangers was a bit nerve-wracking as it was getting dark and I’d forgotten my lights (LOL noob), having a riding buddy would have made it a bit more comfortable.

Do it if you’re prepared, it really is a ride to remember.

missnotax
    Free Member

No.

Here’s my logic; it’s a mountain, not a trail centre, so if you come off you could be waiting an awfully long time for someone to scrape you up. Ok so you could be a absolute riding god but accidents still happen when you least expect them, and it’s not exactly a canal path!

Not worth the risk in my book – find a friend to ride with! 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Of course I would.

D0NK

probably, but I’m allergic to long drives so more likely to wait for a friend to offer me a lift 🙂

Do a lot of solo riding and there’s not been many occasions where I’ve not ridden something coz I was on my own. For some reason I did get The Fear up nan bield in the rain the other week, txt my mrs to tell her which descent I was starting and to check up on me if I didn’t reply in an hour. Skipped the step section at the bottom too 😳

Possibly the first time I’ve let anyone know (part of) my route aswell, I’m a naughty mountain user.

higgo
    Free Member

Here’s my logic; it’s a mountain, not a trail centre, so if you come off you could be waiting an awfully long time for someone to scrape you up.

It’s a pretty popular mountain though.

If the OP is riding early morning, his corpse will only lie there until the first walkers go up either Ranger or Llanberis paths.

boblo
    Free Member

Give it a few minutes and some berk will drive past in a Frontera…. There’s probably more grockles on Snowden each day than at ‘Degla.

docrobster
    Free Member

Yes
    Ride within yourself, take what protection you have, full face is a good idea. Let people know where you are going.
    You’ve seen 127 hours right?
    But if you have someone with you you’ll probably feel more confident and have more fun.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Don’t know which route we’re assuming here but I’d always suggest it’s better to ride with a buddy when in proper mountains, even the honey-pot ones like Snowdon.

I’ve had a close call riding Rhyd Ddu in Winter. It would have been a long time before anyone found me if I’d been alone and fallen any further than I did.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yes. Even without a helmet 🙂

missnotax
    Free Member

Yeah, I get the logic. I certainly wouldn’t slate anyone for riding it solo!

But would I? No.

(I have ridden it twice BTW, i’m not jumping in on a random subject 😆 )

higgo
    Free Member

If not does anyone want to do it with me first week September early in the morning?

Would love to but I’ll be riding around the Mont Blanc first week September.
    Now that’s a mountain.
    And, until a few mates decided to join me, I was going to that solo.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yes,
    I’ve ridden the more touristy routes in groups, and the more cheeky routes solo. The cheeky routes were probably more dangerous, but I don’t think the presence of another rider would have made them safer.
    In fact I can think of circumstances when if I was solo I would have turned back on a mountain, but the bravado caused by being with someone else meant neither wanting to be the one who quits and ending up with the potential for more risk.

yoshimi

Out of interest, are there any apps out there where someone can track exactly where you are? would be good if Strava did this

funkrodent

I don’t think I’d ride it solo. Certainly not without having set up a failsafe end of ride call to friend/partner. I’d certainly be up for riding it first week in September. Let me know if it materialises and I’ll be there (though I’ll be in the Alps the week beforehand, so infury may be a factor in my attendance 🙂 )

mangoman
    Free Member

No jokes along the lines of…”if I was all alone in a Russian airport I might.” Just me then.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes, no probs. I’d probably take it easy on the trickeir bits on the Ranger Path though.

Not seen MBR this month. Have they stuck to tradition and suggest going up Ranger or Rhyd Dhu and down Llanberis? 😉

jes
    Free Member

Tried it many years ago on my own at an age where awareness of your mortality is overshadowed by a belief of being invincible :).

It was around March time, weather wasn’t great with a low cloud base but not unreasonable.
    Got about halfway up and hadn’t seen a soul, weather turned to gusting wind and horizontal rain so decided to turn back (self preservation finally kicked in)

Helmet put on and just starting a nice steady roll down when whilst hopping a water bar a gust of wind grabs me and spits me off the bike.

Very lucky, winded, grazed and holes in clothing at all the pointy bits but no serious damage, but somehow managed to travel 25-30 ft further down the track than the bike whilst avoiding some very sharp sections of rock.

Go for it but take care.

SOAP
    Free Member

Some good advice here. Thanks
    Funkrodent or anyone else that fancys it ill post nearer the date.

tomhoward

No, but then I wouldn’t in a group either, as I’m nowhere near fit enough.

Simon

If the weather was good, yes I would.

twoniner
    Free Member

It’s local to me, post up nearer the time and I will try and join you. What day you thinking?

Done it loads of times and a few on my own. If I do it on my own I try to stick to the major routes just due to the fact that if I do come off I will be found. The rangers isnt really one of the more used trails.

If the cloud is down dont go up. There are some pretty big drops up there and it’s so easy to fly off one.

It’s totes amazeballs in the snow. 😀

DavidB
    Free Member

I was on the summit on Sunday at 11am, 3-4 bikers about to go down. Keep to the curfew peeps.

twoniner
    Free Member

Keep to the curfew peeps.

Yeah this ^^ or it will end up in an outright ban.

mattsccm
    Free Member

It’s the busiest mountain in the world or so it seems. The chance of being left alone is about zero at best!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I did. But understand the risks and it will make you careful enough. It’s not adventure without risks.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just do it.. and dont stress that you will ride off a cliff or get run over by a frontera.

One day your life will flash in front of your eyes…. just make sure its worth watching.

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ll be in betws-y-coed from the 30th Aug till the 6th.

johnnystorm

Yes, rode it in Feb. Bike nearly blew away at the top! 😆

If you’ve got an iPhone then share your “find my iphone” details with someone. Better still treat yourself to a Spot tracker!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Out of interest, are there any apps out there where someone can track exactly where you are? would be good if Strava did this

If you use endomondo as long as you have Internet signal it will update profile and activity as you go along so people can watch you that way.

No I wouldn’t ride it solo nor would my Oh let me having recently faced the this is 999 your fiancé has been in an accident call whilst riding my bike solo.

robj20
    Free Member

Yes, I ride it solo, as well as 99% of riding I do. Stick to the Llanberis path and your never alone.

scruff
    Free Member

So, to be off by 10 or avoid worst of crowds on way back down, what time to start off from Flanberrys? (We’ll be pushing up DH bikes)

missnotax
    Free Member

Both times I have ridden / pushed up Llanberis it’s taken about 2.5 hours 🙂

rhid

Leave at 5am up the top by 7.30 back in Petes eats by 8, bed again by 9.30.

robj20
    Free Member

Took me exactly 2 hours to get up the Llanberis path, and about 30 minutes down.

camo16
    Free Member

Yup. I’m badass. 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Took me exactly 2 hours to get up the Llanberis path, and about 30 minutes down.

Only ever been up then back down Llanberis once. (‘cos Rangers is 1000x better)
    2.5 hrs up 🙁
    17 mins down 😀

funkrodent

Funkrodent or anyone else that fancys it ill post nearer the date.

Sounds like a plan. If poss please email me at ben(AT)pack-net.co.uk in case I miss the post. Cheers!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Would you ride Snowdon solo?’ is closed to new replies.