Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Would you recommend a Jamie Oliver restaurant?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thinking about it. Anyone tried? How would you rate it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

No
    &
    No

I think they are rubbish and no betterer than a Lil’ Chef

Pyro

Went to the Italian in Leeds for an office Christmas dinner a couple of years back.

It was nothing special.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

I quite like the one in Manchester, its not bad scoff, and cheap.

peterfile
    Free Member

Fifteen is pretty good IMO, great location and food was decent. Expensive though for what it is.

Only Jamie Oliver one I’ve been to though.

iolo
    Free Member

I went in Reading. Nice gaff.
    The food was nothing special. Go to your nearest Italian restaurant. It will be cheaper and better.

drain

I like the one in Cheltenham, food’s good value and the atmosphere is great, very mellow.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Theatre on Sept 7th. Kingston on Thames. Trying to locate a good pre-performance eaterie online but finding it hard…

Cau, maybe?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Been to Bath and Manchester…both nice places to sit (especially Manchester) and had some good courses, some OK courses, but it’s not particularly expensive.

nickdavies

If you treat it as any other restaurant, then yeah. It’s not really one to think about going to, just basic grub done pretty well, not that expensive – just give it a whirl, not much different to any other italian on the high street. Don’t go expecting anything fantastic, the service isn’t great and they like you to wait 1/2 an hour before going to your table in the convenient shop full of Jamie’s crap… The restaurant in Nottingham was quite quirky and interesting though.

Have the starter meat platter, and don’t expect to leave much room for dessert.. Om nom! The plate was bigger than the table!

piemonster

Yes

And

No

There’ll always be something about that’s either better. Or just as good but not Jamie. However remote.

I know, that’s petty. But, well I’m petty. So there.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TOM! 😀

GrahamS

Been to the Glasgow one. It was nice enough, but nothing special.
    Basically a slightly-above-mid-range chain restaurant.
    Think Cafe Rouge

grievoustim
    Free Member

Ive eaten in the Italian one in brighton a couple of times (paid for by work both times)

It’s fine – but if it’s my money there are other places I would rather go to

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Been to Jamies Italian in Bristol, It was not exceptional but it was better than average. I’d go again, but just not in a hurry.

njee20
    Free Member

Are we talking “Jamie’s Italian” chain restaurants, or his actual restaurants, like Fifteen?

No experience of the latter, I like the former, but they’re over priced for what they are.

spacemonkey

I think we gave up on chain restaurants 2-3 years ago. Thankfully we have some excellent pubs and eateries within a 10 mile radius and a short-list of other favs when on the road.

Don’t think I would try a Jamie’s.

DenDennis
    Free Member

they like you to wait 1/2 an hour before going to your table in the convenient shop full of Jamie’s crap

^this.
    do they do this in all of them or just the nottingham one? it really pees me off, especially when starving.

when you actually get to eat the food i found it quite decent.

fifteen in London- ‘proper’ bit downstairs a bit over-priced and not big portions but tasty.
    upstairs bit- decent value, especially breakfasts etc.

dooosuk
    Free Member

hey like you to wait 1/2 an hour before going to your table in the convenient shop full of Jamie’s crap

Not in Bath or Manchester.

Quick drink at the bar and then seated in Bath.

Straight to table in Manchester.

llama

Been to Bath 2 or 3 times and it’s OK. Maybe it’s a good one. Not expensive compared to everywhere else around here.

If you think it’s overpriced and a bit average, try the Carluccio’s downstairs.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yes and No – specifically the italians, no idea what other places he has.

Maybe I’ve lived in places that have been blessed with good italians but in there have always been stacks of local restaurants doing similar dishes better and for the same money or less.

ericemel
    Free Member

Yeah, tend to eat out a lot and have been to a few of the Italians and they aren’t bad at all. Better than Ask/Pizza express but not as good as an authentic Italian – but a good job overall.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Are we talking “Jamie’s Italian” chain restaurants, or his actual restaurants, like Fifteen?

If we are Barbecoa next to St Pauls Cathedral is bloody lovely.

Would recommend in a heartbeat.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Been to the one in bath having eaten in the one at airport at Gatwick think it was. Nice meals in both, mrs s loved the ambience and surroundings, I thought it was a ‘ kin mess but then apparently I have no style. 😆

shadowrider
    Free Member

The one in the Bullring Birmingham was quite nice, I wouldn’t go there again but it was decent enough food.

crankboy
    Free Member

Been to the Jamie’s Italian in Leeds for a few lunches . as others have said decent food reasonably priced but if I was choosing a meal out I would go elsewhere.
    Service was unremarkable on each occasion we have gone straight to table with little or no wait .

ninfan
    Free Member

Been, alright, but I preferred Vapiano.

ohrats
    Free Member

The fifteen place in watergate bay is pretty decent. Strong rustic Italian food. Really cool setup they have with providing employment to disadvantaged young people.

chewkw
    Free Member

There is one at toon next to Monument metro station. Think it opened 2 months ago called Jamie’s Italians or something …

just5minutes
    Free Member

expensive, very hit and miss service and the food is mediocre – what’s left to like?

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Italians I quite like. The “up market”places in London I have tried were average quality and high price. Its a chain with his name on it.

rj2dj
    Free Member

The one in Reading is rubbish.IF you crave chain Italian food, Reading can offer you every other type and most of it is better, if not cheaper.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Only in the same way as I’d recommend a pizza express. It’s of a similar ilk.

CountZero

A mate has chosen Jamie’s Italian in Bath for a birthday nosh-up at the end of the month. I have no particular expectations, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it, the company will make the evening go well anyway. My birthday nosh was in what is now my ‘local’ in Biddestone, and the food was first rate, really enjoyed it, as did my friends, but we tend to choose different venues, rather than keep going back to the same places.
    I’m not bothered about eating in chain restaurants, I really enjoyed eating in Yo! Sushi in Bath, especially as my mates employer was picking up the tab, there’s a Pizza Express in London, near the British Museum that I always like going to…
    Seems that the Bath Jamie’s is pretty good, according to the above, so we’ll see.
    Looking forward to it, anyway.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Kingston is a bit bereft to be honest. I’ve never found anywhere other than the chains. That said I had a rabbit pasta in Jamie’s not long ago and it was pretty decent. There are a couple of good places for food in Surbiton, like the French Table which is 5 mins from Kingston or Mezzet or All Seasons in East Molesey/Hampton Court which again are a few minutes down the road and very good.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Been to the one in bath having eaten in the one at airport at Gatwick think it was. Nice meals in both, mrs s loved the ambience and surroundings

One of my regular riding buddies is manager of the Jamie Oliver restaurant at Gatwick Airport, he’ll be pleased when I pass that on to him 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

Right.

I live near that there Kingston…I shall contribute.

Jamies Italian…we went there a few weeks ago, the food was nice, service was good. But it suffers from the same problem many chain restaurant’s have – expensive beer, i.e. £5 for basically half a pint. Puts me right off. I’ll probably go again when my wife insists but will grumble under my breath about the cost of the beer.

We’ve been to Cau’s twice; but I don’t think we’ll go again. Service wasn’t great first time we visited as the waitress wasn’t really paying attention when we ordered and she forgot something; the steak was nice, but the chips were over cooked. Second time we visited I had a burger, meat was tasty but it just fell apart…service was better that time though.

If you’re going to the theatre, I would recommend Steins. Have the Farmer’s Feast with a couple of pints of Paulaner Dunkel, or if you’re thirsty a stein.

Or you could have the Sausage Feast if you prefer.

The food is good, service is good, beer is nice…still expensive but at least you get a pint of something interesting rather than half a Heineken for £5.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oxford is good.
    Fifteen was excellent both times I’ve been.

McHamish
    Free Member

I should clarify – Stein’s is practically next door to the theatre.

Although so is Jamie’s Italian.

If you’re in a rush you could even go over the road to Nandos!

I’ve boycotted Las Iguanas (also near the theatre) when I discovered that the table staff don’t get a penny of the optional tip added to your bill.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Settled on this one (it was on the theatre ticket). Reviews are good…

”French”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Would you recommend a Jamie Oliver restaurant?’ is closed to new replies.