Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Would you rebuild an old rear wheel when only the rim can be saved?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of XT wheels and the front is perfect.
    The rear however has a knackered hub due to the non existent sealing and cup and cone bearings.
    I’m thinking about having a new hub put in it so I have a matching pair. Unfortunately as the spokes are straight pull, I don’t think they can be reused? So….would you bother, or would you just buy a new wheel and ride around with wheels that don’t match?

toppers3933
    Free Member

It’ll cost as much if not more than buying a new wheel. I’d put it in the bin.

simondbarnes

The rear however has a knackered hub due [strike]to the non existent sealing and cup and cone bearings[/strike] lack of servicing.

I probably wouldn’t bother. Rebuilding wheels on old rims is rarely much fun.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    orangeboy
    Free Member

Not worth the bother unless you really want matching rims and you do it your self.

Is it possible to change the cup part of some shimano hubs but not done it to any modern ones
    And you need a donor hub as the bits are not sold on there own

Oh and cup and cone hub is not a poor design if you look after them

epicyclo

I’d hang on to it. Someone will be along with a wheel with a borked rim and good hub shortly… 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Would you rebuild an old rear wheel when only the rim can be saved?’ is closed to new replies.