Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Would you put decking in a north east facing garden?
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Or will it just become a slippery nightmare due to the relatively shaded area?

Quite a decent drop from the edge of our new extension down to grass so just considering decking rather than getting a load of aggregate to build up a patio.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have, and no problems here.

Although, I’m in a bungalow, so not really that shaded in winter, and I keep it well looked after with Liberon oil.

If it’s in a properly shaded area, the decking with the grip strip pre fitted is an option.

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting. Centre of a three houses in a terrace so it is probably more shaded because of our neighbours house. Grip strip stuff sounds interesting.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I did as slabs were lethal and the grass before a mess of moss and dead patches.
    Regular jet wash and an oil and no issues in the 8yrs it’s been down

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yes, as I think decking is the best looking an cheapest option to make the step down to the garden. In hindsight if I were to do it again I’d use a recycled wood/composite deck. Slightly more expensive but without the constant attention/cash thrown at expensive oils.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

constant attention/cash thrown at expensive oils.

Maybe twice a year, 30 mins to do a 4mx3m deck, and the oil costs about 30 quid and lasts 5 years worth of applications at least.

I find it quite therapeutic, in a cutting the grass sort of way!.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Oh dear, decking is sooo last year!
    Slabs will be a much better option, wood will just get slimey and slippery. I’m not sure who decided decking was a good idea in a damp, cool country anyway!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

wood will just get slimey and slippery

Bollocks.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’m not sure who decided decking was a good idea in a damp, cool country anyway!

The same marketing genius that put us on to conservatories.

hooli

It will be fine as long as you don’t mind treating it once a year, doesn’t take long or cost a lot. A quick pressure wash and some decking oil should do the trick.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Would you put decking in a north east facing garden?’ is closed to new replies.