• This topic has 100 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mmb.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Would you own up if you hit a parked car and nobody saw you?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

But maybe people need to change their ways and place less value on shiney items like cars and bikes.

It's not up to you to value someone else's stuff on their behalf mate.

As for hitting doors – when you park close to someone else, don't just fling the door open like you don't care. I have parked many times close to other cars, and I take care not to ding their cars. Sometimes they touch, but that doesn't hurt if you are careful.

hora
    Free Member

Friend of mine earns peanuts compared to alot of people. Hes selling his 5yr old car soon and I had alook round it (as Im always buying cars!)…. theres a couple of placed where people have damaged his car for him- guess what. Hes been offered a right shafting on the part exchange price (because garages know it can put private buyers off over a certain value of car .v. cosmetic damage).

So hes going to drop circa £800-£1,000 due to other people. If you mugged him in the street for a tenth of that you'd be locked up..

zokes
    Free Member

It's OK though Hora, as Mr Taylforth doesn't place any value on cars, neither should your mate 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Just keep an AK47 with two clips in your boot. It solves a myriad of arguments.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I would leave my details but I am NCB protected. Having said that I have not damaged another car yet.

My volvo was badly damaged by a hit and run but I was lucky enough to have evidence to bring and the insurers got on the case.

I think anyone who would break someone elses stuff and walk away probably picked their nose and ate it as a child.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If it was damaged of course.

Jerome
    Free Member

Hora,
    Much as I like your CSI approach
    I assumed the details were left by some one else, maybe because they spelt gray ( grey ) wrong, trouble is they did not leave their details.
    J.

Nick

I reversed into someone's car in a car park once, was pissed though so wasn't thinking straight and so panicked and **** off. Have felt a bit bad about it ever since, long time ago now, don't drink and drive anymore so would probably leave a note.

zokes
    Free Member

Hope you've got your asbestos suit handy Nick…

uplink
    Free Member

I'm always amazed that people park cars with very fragile bodywork on the street & expect it to stay in pristine condition

TBH – I just takes the knocks & scrapes as par for the course
    If you you mark my motorbikes though ……. 👿

😀

zokes
    Free Member

I'm always amazed that people park cars with very fragile bodywork on the street & expect it to stay in pristine condition

Why shouldn't they? If people took care, and were responsible for their actions, those cars would remain in pristine condition…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Some tunc opened their door on my motor last week whilst we were on holiday. Didn't see it till I got back to the place we were staying! I swear people do it on purpose sometimes to nice cars!

Edric64
    Free Member

Super market trolleys are the worst my missus works in a Tesco and our car gets beaten to hell being parked in their car park

hora
    Free Member

I swear people do it on purpose sometimes to nice cars!

Thats guaranteed. Some people are very jealous and petty.

If a 25yr old pulled up next to me in a new 997 etc my thoughts would be 'nice car' not '**** for getting that and I cant afford it/show off bastid'

reversed into someone's car in a car park once, was pissed though

I've done far worse things when I was younger however thats when I was younger. Not now.

jd-boy
    Free Member

yep, hit a parked car when we had all the snow, left a note on there windshield with a contact, they were very greatfull
    another story, my father was waiting for a train to pass at a crossing, nice day, sun roof open, as the train went by, lump of grease came of the train and landed on the passenger seat, BUT thats not as funny as the cow in a cattle truck that S***T all over the back seat of a Merc convertable stuck next to it in a traffic jam. the girl in the white suit driving it was not a happy bunny.

hora
    Free Member

Another way to look at this.

If someone stole your bicycle would you shrug and say 'hey ho- time for a new build'?

Or would you say '**** pikey ****, thats me a grand out of pocket'?

Abit different now isnt it?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Abit different now isnt it?

Yes, because that's theft, as opposed to accidental damage, so stop yer whining.

I recently got out of a mate's car, pushed the door open, SMACK! Straight into a bollard. Big dent on door. He just shrugged his shoulders and said 'oh well'. Not bothered at all. It's only a car.

I've done far worse things when I was younger however thats when I was younger. Not now.

What goes around comes around, eh? 😉

People should respect each other's property, for sure, but if you own anything that is going to be out in public places, then there's a risk of damage. If you stack your own bike and scratch it, you can either cry about it, or get on with life.

hora
    Free Member

Financial loss is felt the sameway. I'd hardly say 'someone staved my car in and its costing me my savings but its a soft crime on my wallet'.

What goes around comes around, eh?

It wont. It doesn't work like that. Our upbringing teaches us about the Christian values; cause/consequence and every action has a reaction. i.e. someone is watching you from above.

In the same breath society allows (in the name of patriotism) the killing of others on the battlefield. Far far worse than nicking a granny's purse IMO.

Utter bollocks.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Our upbringing teaches us about the Christian values; cause/consequence and every action has a reaction. i.e. someone is watching you from above.

What on Earth are you wibbling on about now??? Have you been on the sauce already?

You've alluded to not being an angel when you were younger. You've been wronged yourself. Just accept that's how it goes.

hora
    Free Member

You've been wronged yourself

No it clipped back on. No one is watching you you know. There isnt a frigging monkey called the Karma monkey either.

We all live, we all die. Simples.

mmb
    Free Member

i did with my first car years ago and left my details on the windscreen, the guy called to say thanks which was good and made me feel a lot better about myself knowing i'd done the right thing,just think about how upset you'd be if it happened to you!.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Would you own up if you hit a parked car and nobody saw you?’ is closed to new replies.