Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Would you move house just to be closer to better biking?
  • j450n
    Free Member

We could do with a list of “MTB meca’s” 😉

colp

Bought a place 15 mins from Leogang. Planning to gradually spend more time there year by year.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

South lakes. Bosh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lived in Cockermouth then took up biking properly over 10 years ago, the Job got me there the outdoors was a bonus.

I’ve always been prepared to travel for my fun so in the end i’d still probably choose to do that rather than slog out a work commute 5 days a week to feel too knackered to do any of the local stuff.

So in summary it’s the combination.

Looking to move again for a lot of reasons, unless it’s to Canberra the riding will be worse but any of the 3 cities I’m looking at will still give me some riding and the job change should open up many more riding & holiday opportunities.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Absolutely – did it 2 years back
    Moved away to new job…endured 9 months of flat, muddy, field edge riding…Sacked the job in and moved back

Nothing wrong with the job 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Am considering moving somewhere where the biking is worse, and it weighs heavy but is offset by other stuff. I have in the past moved to be closer to nature/mtbing, it all depends on given priorities at a particular time.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I did move within 1min cycle of 2 well known road cycling cafes/ride departure points in SE London but it wasn’t the deciding factor but certainly helped me choose where to move to.

AlexSimon

I have and would again.
    I don’t think it really has to limit earning, or anything else really.
    I used to commute to Manchester with no problem and I’m sure there’s pretty much every kind of job/salary there.

jam-bo

How else would you decide where to live?

Decent surf would trump good riding for me.

prezet
    Free Member

I’d love to move to the FoD area – but all our family are here, and I wouldn’t want to take my children away from their grandparents/aunties/uncles/cousins etc just for a bit of better riding.

jekkyl

Look at this little beauty near darley dale, splendid cycling on your doorstep. Just 135k, what would you get in london for that? perfect for a single man with easy commute to sheffield or chesterfield. Could install a big proper metal shed with power for bike fixing and storing.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46932737.html

rocketman
    Free Member

Nope would not move for any hobby/pastime

Kunstler

From Norfolk to Edinburgh was a step in the right direction. Though I came here here to go to art school, I chose it over London art schools as life here is much better for me. I’ve got hills here and better riding not too far away but I do sometimes wonder about going further north to live.

I could possibly do the job I do now in Inverness and be closer to much of the Highlands but I’d really miss living in Edinburgh.

deviant
    Free Member

Bought a house (with land) in South Wales to be near good riding. MTBing for me and horse riding for her.
    She has found local work to keep things ticking over for herself, I commute to the South East still for work!….bit of a bugger but worth it for the house, the privacy (no neighbours!), the fresh air etc and that feeling of selling a poxy 2-bed terrace in the South East and getting 4-bedrooms and ten acres here for the same money, genuinely have to pinch myself some mornings.
    Only thing that will make it perfect will be when I can transfer work wise to Wales.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not really, I live in Cardiff which has the best mix of work and riding opportunities – there’s great local riding on my 6 min commute home from work – summer is like Nirvana for me, finish work at 5, drive 3 mins to the local spot, start riding – a few mates will join me later as they work a further away, have a laugh and still get home to put the Baby to bed at 7pm.

jekkyl

you drive for 3 minutes??

deadkenny
    Free Member

Major reason I haven’t moved is due to the convenient location. It’s not slap on the trail heads but it’s equal distance of two major riding areas in the South East, 15mins to half an hour drive but also rideable to them, plus some more local xc.

Though I need a bigger house for more bikes. I keep thinking of places nearer to Surrey Hills, but it puts me further away from other areas, and also a bit more hassle for transport links into London, getting to the airports and to the M4 to get to Wales.

br
    Free Member

Moved from the SE to the Scottish Borders a couple of years ago to take over my parents place. The mtbing and horse-riding kinda made it an easy decision.

Don’t underestimate though how difficult it is from a work perspective, from been near London to nowhere near anywhere.

benp1

No, never

Great location where I am now, good for the family, near wider family, good for work etc

Moving away would get me more stuff for me, but less stuff for the family

I’d also either earn less, or have less career opportunity

But its a nice romantic notion, but never going to happen

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looking at a move from Nottingham to Sheffield. Not sure it gets us to the riding sweet spot but it certainly gets us closer.

P-Jay
    Free Member

jekkyl

you drive for 3 minutes???

Yeah, I need my car for work, I’ll probably do 30-50 miles a day on average and need to take the kids to nursery / breakfast club on the way in so I can’t leave it here so I end up commuting for about 6-10 mins every day, there’s a brilliant cycle network too (North Cardiff to Taffs Well) and it would probably be quicker to cycle but I can’t put an 8 month old and all her stuff on my bike.

mattherby
    Free Member

I live and work as a Safety Officer in the steel works at Port Talbot, I suppose I don’t realise how lucky I am to live so close to Afan and Glyncorrowg. Bike park Wales is only 25 minutes away with cwmcarn being 35 minute drive. I think it’s bonkers seeing people from all over the world visit Afan.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think it’s bonkers seeing people from all over the world visit Afan.

Reckon it’s great as it’s part of the economic redevelopment plan for the area bringing actual cash into the area.

gilesmartin81

I did, a good point I made was that we would see more of each other as I would be in the car travelling to places to ride less.

roverpig

Kind of the reverse for me. I didn’t move to Scotland for the mountain biking, but I only do mountain biking because I live in Scotland. When I lived in England and the States I found other ways to amuse myself 🙂

SimonR

A bit of the opposite for us.

Had several opportunities to move but decided to stay put largely because of the location and proximity to good riding and open spaces.

However, now considering a move purely on the basis that it get us somewhere better still!

saxabar
    Free Member

Not sure I’d uproot for biking alone, but on selecting where to a take a job the riding in North Wales was a big factor (versus Newcastle, London and Bournemouth). Travel a fair bit to cities so still get opportunities for galleries I never visit (and rarely did when living in London).

Ben_H

I live in south-central Bristol – just a stone’s throw from the trails at Ashton Court and Leigh Woods. I’ve lived here for nearly 10 years, during which time the trails have gone from unofficial and muddy to official and properly constructed.

I was only reflecting last night how much difference it makes to me to have these trails local to me. They’re not the most amazing, but without them I’d probably not be MTB’ing very much at this stage in my life (2 young kids).

I would only move to somewhere that offered a similar level of trail access, whatever the trails.

The point is that you don’t have to move to somewhere far-flung to enjoy lots of MTB’ing.

dmorts

Found that, so far, Edinburgh is a good compromise/balance. Wouldn’t mind a move to Peebles area, but it’s not that far away* anyway and the Pentland Hills are on my doorstep here.

Work wise I changed industry, but stayed in the same technical discipline. OK so far but think I might have to be open to doing something different in the future, e.g. Financial or IT sectors.

*E.g. compared with living in the South East

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7Sd9AY]IMG_4738[/url] by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/7Sd8nG]IMG_4729[/url] by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    This was biking from the door, work was an easy 20 mile drive each way or a long ride home some days. This was worth it, would take a hell of a lot to make me live somewhere for average riding and a crap 5 day hell commute.

oldbloke
    Free Member

I did nearly 20 years ago, but for climbing, working in Northumberland. And that’s where I met people who got me back into biking. Now back in Edinburgh but I don’t regret that move.

There’s a difference between moving thinking it is permanent and moving for a time / experience / change.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have a 2 year plan, to move to South Wales/Herefordshire border so I can be close to more biking.
    Living in the South East is stupidly expensive, and I am paying to live next to London, when I have no desire to go there.
    Being a teacher I am lucky in that wherever I go, wages will be the same and there will always be jobs.

HansRey

I went to uni in Sheffield so i could ride out to the peak district every day if i chose. One of the best decisions i made.

I now live in Helsinki and it’s so incredibly flat. If i can move away from here, it’ll be somewhere with good, natural trails.

benp1

Yeah, I need my car for work, I’ll probably do 30-50 miles a day on average and need to take the kids to nursery / breakfast club on the way in so I can’t leave it here so I end up commuting for about 6-10 mins every day, there’s a brilliant cycle network too (North Cardiff to Taffs Well) and it would probably be quicker to cycle but I can’t put an 8 month old and all her stuff on my bike.

Have you thought about a double trailer? I’d do this regularly if I could work out the timings.

Kids in trailer. Stuff inside with them, or on the back attached with a cargo net

Love doing the school run in the trailer, just doesn’t happen very often

P-Jay
    Free Member

Have you thought about a double trailer? I’d do this regularly if I could work out the timings.

Kids in trailer. Stuff inside with them, or on the back attached with a cargo net

Love doing the school run in the trailer, just doesn’t happen very often

Maybe when she’s older and when we move somewhere quieter but not now, the standard of driving immediately near where I live is some of the worst I’ve seen anywhere in the world. Seriously.

The idea of trailing my little baby behind me… nope.

Although we’re going to Bluestone for a long weekend in June, I’ll be renting a trailer there, we can’t wait! 🙂

SSBonty
    Free Member

HansRey – but you didn’t mention that Helsinki has tons of sustrans type trails plus is half forest with limitless singletrack! I’ve moved from Bristol to Helsinki and get more proper riding in here because you can live closer to the tracks and forest and still be within decent distance of work. I.e. my commute can be anything from a 15 minute mostly gravel track to a route taking in 5 different CX/MTB XC courses and 4 stages of a national enduro race! That’s without considering the road or pavement options. Yes it’s flat in that there are no decent sized hills which is quite frustrating, but in terms of short sharp hills and easy to difficult singletrack it’s great…

Oh and in terms of cycling with kids, trailers etc its also fantastic, pretty much any route can be done on proper separated cycle paths, either away from roads, or wide half and half or shared use pedestrians and cyclist pavement next to most roads. (Though I still find it weird you’re allowed to ride a moped on a cycle path with pedestrians, some of the modded ones are pretty fast!)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

We did.

Spent 15 years working in London and traveling all over the country to go riding every weekend. Moved to W. Sheffield 3 years ago, and on the whole, it rocks.

Upsides are a MUCH nicer house, rides directly from the doorstep. Summer evening cheeky trails and days off (like today) where you can just get out and ride into stunning countryside. Great riding communit. Hell – the area you rode on Saturday, I’ve not been to on the MTB in ages, as relatively its a bit crap. Awesome road riding too.

Downsides. Now having local trails – they can get a bit same old/same old. There’s not too much twisty singeltrack locally, and what there is gets trashed in the winter. Work – I’ve kept my old job in London, but work from home 3 days a week – that bit’s fine, but the London time commits immoralities with goats, especially as I end up sleeping on the floor 1 or 2 nights of the week. (I’d be looking at a 40% ish pay cut to move work up here). Herself has been struggling for work for the last 12 months, but it looks like something may have come up finally, which is good news.

Oh – and weather – jeezus but it can be miserable up here at times – usually about 30 seconds after the sun’s been out.

Wouldn’t move back to London without a hell of a fight, now.

milky1980
    Free Member

northernmatt

Eh!? You live in South Wales and have some pretty bloody good riding within spitting distance of you, admittedly not from your door but you’re doing better than a lot of other people, me included. You’re not moving to the Peaks are you?

Had the possibility of Sheffield area or Scotland. The trouble with riding the same areas since I was 12 is it gets a bit samey so was looking into a change. Plus I could actually afford my own place further up the country.

I could always come back here to ride whenever as I’ve got plenty of family down here. Plans on hold though.

Bunnyhop

We lived fairly near decent trails but it meant a half an hour climb on the bikes.
    Because I needed a place where I could work from home, instead of building an extension, we upped and moved only a couple of miles to be nearer even more trails.
    So yes.

Other considerations apart from the riding and working from home bit, was of course a decent sized garage. The actual house was the compromise.

mekkenolly
    Free Member

Doing the reverse to my horror:-( Moved to Cumbria a few years ago and have had an amazing time. Half an hour from some of the best riding in the country. Unfortunately, life has pretty much dictated that we need to move back to the south east to be closer to family etc.
    The selfish in me is heartbroken(kayaking,biking,climbing etc are all lifelong hobbies.)But am grateful for the time we’ve had here. Home down saarf is approx. 8 miles away from Chicksands/Woburn, which are great but feel very much like the booby prize at the mo.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Would you move house just to be closer to better biking?’ is closed to new replies.