Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Would you leave a £3k bike chained up outside your work?
  • project
    Free Member

If somebody wants your bike someone will try and eventually succeed in nicking it, cars and lgv have lots of security built in but people still nick them to order or just to get the buzz of driving something they dont own.

Would you leave your laptop or tv outside even if secured in a steel cage

red17
    Free Member

Definitely wouldn’t leave it where I work in Croydon. We had a bike stolen from the cycle cage outside the office fairly recently – they actually cut through the mesh of the cage, cut through the lock and had the bike away.

Of course no one saw anything, and the CCTV camera in the area also picked up sweet FA – it wasn’t even a particularly new or expensive bike.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Had a think about it and just going to get the Rose. It’s cheaper and new and TBH, I’m much more mince than race when it comes to my riding.

No space in my flat for an extra bike – as I said I’m cutting back.
    Bike will be kept chained up in a town centre. Said town features prominently on the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation so not very salubrious.

No bike storage in the area and no chance in the office – I don’t even have a desk (it’s a very small charity).

I do have an Almax chain and Squire lock I used to use for my motorbike so will leave that wrapped around the bike rack with a couple of those cable locks for the wheels.

No worries about it getting scratched – haven’t seen another bike there in about a year! SIMD = no exercise and almost no jobs!

Since the Rose is cheaper I can get that new platform rear shock for my Horsethief I’ve been after too….

slidewinder
    Free Member

In order to answer your question I would need to know:
    Where you work
    What hours you work
    Are there any CCTV cameras in the area
    What type of lock you were planning to use
    The nearest hardware store
    A possible escape route!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

would the insurance cover it if it gets nicked?

shermer75
    Free Member

Commute on a Brompton, obvs 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

You can buy cordless angle grinders for thieving use

tomhoward

Have and do.

BUT

Company CCTV is watching, it’s near my office windows, it has a massive lock on it, an army of smokers guard it (I’m the only one who really uses the bike rack, so anyone other than me in there is odd) I work in a nice area and specifically about 100 yards from a massive great police station. Plus it/they are insured.

YMMV

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends where. At our site in central London yes. It’s in a sturdy cage with difficult access right in front of the forward facing security guy who comes out and challenges you if you aren’t displaying a pass, even if you are using a key to get in the cage.

Here in Hampshire.. hmm.. perhaps not – although I am locking up £1.5k of bike to a concrete pillar with a good lock inside a cage under CCTV with good security guards most days and I doubt most thieves would know the difference between £1.5k and £3k.

MoreCashThanDash

This:

In order to answer your question I would need to know:
    Where you work
    What hours you work
    Are there any CCTV cameras in the area
    What type of lock you were planning to use
    The nearest hardware store

and this:

would the insurance cover it if it gets nicked?

Though my £1k Arkrose was locked – securely – in public view for 2 years with no problems. We now have steel cage around the bike sheds that even we struggle to get in to!

gee
    Free Member

I work in a very secure school with CCTV, door codes and the like.

My bike goes in my office, much to the amusement of the kids.

GB

damascus
    Free Member

Wrap it in black electrical tape and make it look really crap. Cover up the name of the gears.

Buy some halfords stickers and sticker bomb it.

Take off the stickers from the wheels.

Only problem with that is great for commuting but not so great for the weekly club ride

TheBrick
    Free Member

Even if I had a store room at work I would not use a 3k bike for commuting. Commuting is tough on a bike I would not want to be baby sitting it.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ok, I’m guessing a lot of you never read my second post in the thread with the decision in it.

I didn’t buy the LOOK

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

£3k noooo way.

Why not buy the nice bike and a £50 2nd hand bike for commuting. You won’t be sweating all day hoping your bike hasn’t been nicked, but your £50 bike will get you fitter than the £3k one

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ok, everyone’s talking to themselves here. This is N-1 so another shitter won’t work cos my flat is too small and I don’t live in the cultural desert wilderness I live in the city and I work for a charity and by their very nature charities aren’t in nice places and yes I can still afford this bikie because I’ve not commited financial and cultural suciide by having a child and I need better brakers and blah blah blah **** internet death murder face desk palm

Edric64
    Free Member

Why don’t the brakes on your current bike work ? I`m heavy and ride a road bike in hilly country with ten year old Tiagra brakes and they work .Seems an extreme way to improve braking for a commute ?

bigrich

the universe doesn’t care if your bike gets stolen; and what will it matter in a million years time?

so get the look.

BigDummy
    Free Member

and what will it matter in a million years time?

😉

cookeaa

Ok, everyone’s talking to themselves here. This is N-1 so another shitter won’t work cos my flat is too small and I don’t live in the cultural desert wilderness I live in the city and I work for a charity and by their very nature charities aren’t in nice places and yes I can still afford this bikie because I’ve not commited financial and cultural suciide by having a child and I need better brakers and blah blah blah **** internet death murder face desk palm

TBF you did go and ask the question… were you expecting universal positive reinforcement of your piss poor idea?

Feel free to disregard the various reasons already given as to why you shouldn’t leave a £3k vanity purchase in the street, in a dodgy part of town, go bananas and enjoy your own little bit of “financial and cultural suicide” you’ve earned it…

hooli

I wouldn’t, but I wouldn’t buy a £3k bike to start with so it is purely academic.

andybrad

this is my old canyon

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B36bJrJzJW20b003TWRBeXZURTQ&authuser=0

although i dont think people nick half as many road bikes as mtb’s

watch how long it takes

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

I would definitely leave your 3k bike chained up outside work…. wouldn’t leave mine there though 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Would you leave a £3k bike chained up outside your work?’ is closed to new replies.