Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Would you leave a £3k bike chained up outside your work?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m about to buy a cyclocross bike.
    Have seen a nearly new Look X85 on eBay that is in budget – looks like north of £3k was spent on it – Reynolds wheels, Zipp bars, Force CX1 groupset.

I’m looking to get the bike for road and off-road rides as well as commuting.
    For the road and off-road riding it seems perfect. Light, fast, capable

For commuting it is:

Good – hydraulic brakes. Part of my ride is down a steep hill in heavy traffic with lots of junctions at the bottom. Had a few squeaky bum moments on my rim braked road bike.

Bad – nowhere at work to put it so my bike gets locked up in the town centre. It’s not a particularly good area and it’s quite a flashy bike:

I’m thinking the Look brand has a definite “worth loads of money/steal me” vibe too.

My other option is a Rose DX Cross Pro in matt black – the head says that, heart says the Look.

Unfortunately buying another bike to commute as well as the LOOK isn’t possible – I’m already selling two bikes to pay for this one as my small flat is creaking – trying to get down to my full sus and 1 other.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t work where you do (probably), so it’s not all that helpful, but yes, I do, daily. There’s a full Dura Ace equipped Madone locked up outside my office right now. There’s also a Cervelo something or other which is never locked up, and a Di2 equipped Tarmac SL4, never known of anything being nicked…

I’m not remotely convinced that a matt black bike is genuinely any less appealing to thieves. A really tatty beaten up bike perhaps, but I’m not sure the colour itself has any bearing whatsoever.

I’d buy the one you’ll want to ride!

chakaping
    Free Member

No way José! Or the Rose tbh.

Does your town have some kind of bike garage operation? Some train stations now have bike lockers.

Trimix
    Free Member

If you don’t keep it inside it will get nicked.

(Even shite bikes get nicked)

seadog101

No. Never. As a one off maybe, for a short while.

But if you’re thinking of leaving it locked up in the same place regularly, some scallywag will quickly be onto it with the tools needed to deprive you of it, even if it’s somewhere very public.

geoffj

Depends on the area, but I wouldn’t leave that locked up in a town centre – it just looks too flash/expensive.

mike_p
    Free Member

I’ve got a Look… they’re not exactly discrete. So unless it’s locked in the garage or car it doesn’t leave my sight.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nope, wouldn’t even consider it. It’s one thing to leave it locked for thirty minutes or so whilst you pop into the supermarket at random times but to leave it locked in probably the same place most days for hours at a time just makes it too much of a target. The only hope you might have is that it looks so expensive that thieves might assume it’s been left as part of a local police sting operation.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Probably not, but if you do it’s worth tagging it, and (in addition to yr high security lock) might also be worth fitting an alarmed lock that goes off if cut/tampered with

weeksy

Nope. We have a secure entry car park, with a dedicated bike lock ‘cage’ for 30+ bikes, but still I take my bikes upstairs and park next to my desk.

tomd
    Free Member

Personally no way in a million years. It might be fine but then it’s going to stand out and attract attention, especially if it’s frequently in the same place.

It depends if you can afford to lose it, or can you get insurance for it?

csb

Circle it with ‘police aware’ tape. That’ll confuse the miscreants.

haggis1978

Can you afford to lose £3k? I bought an old Kona Lava Dome for commuting last year. After a wee tune up and a new 7 speed cassette and canti brake blocks it had set me back £100. Its actually a really good bike and I dont care if it gets scratched, stolen thumped about or dented. Have you thought about decent bike storage in your flat if that is an issue as well? One option is below. Another is a ceiling mounted pulley system which moves the bike right out the way.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=242557&productId=525671&storeId=10001

somafunk

I expect I don’t live in a similar area to yourself so my £4k+ bikes can quite safely be left outside my work or the local pub/shops, it’s a rather simplified statement to make but I couldn’t live in such an area. I can’t even remember when the last time was that I locked my front/back door.

vincienup
    Free Member

As above, investigate local bike lockers/lockups/garages. There may well be something nearby.

I regularly leave a Cotic locked up at work, but with a New Yorker through the chainstays Sheldon style against regular bike staple. It’s been there daily for a couple of years. This is a small office park in an industrial area, but there’s a riverside footpath and busy pavement over a bridge where the bike lockup can be clearly observed from.

The only bike theft we’ve had at this site was my boss’ Giant… which was interestingly ‘locked’ with loops of cable and a couple of D locks used as big padlocks. He was surprised when they ignored the locks and cut the cables… 🙄

Sadly, I think that a nice looking bike in the same public place often enough is going to get pinched no matter how you lock it up though.

hora
    Free Member

I wouldnt leave a £500 bank notes chained up nevermind 3,000 of them.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are you talking about commuting everyday? If so irrespective of price it would be a bad choice imo. Once it’s festooned with mudguards, puncture proof tyres, lights, and all the other tat you need on an all year commuter it really won’t be that great for anything else.

jonba
    Free Member

In my case yes (if I had a 3k bike) but we have a locked compound that needs a site access card to get into. It is also in front of the site entrance so overlooked by security 24/7. I still lock up my bike.

In your case, no.

Spend less on the main bike and buy a cheaper one for commuting.

Commuting in winter eats components anyway so a nice bike soon won’t be after a few months of gritted roads. Look at the cheaper CX bikes in Evans – there is a SS one that would be ideal for commuting.

hels
    Free Member

1. its not worth £3k. It is worth what you paid for it, or more to the point, what a thief could get for it. So that’s £50.

2. Depends on the security at your work, get a couple of good locks and dirty the bike up a bit. Is the bike stand/shed covered by CCTV ?

3. It is a road bike as far as thieves are concerned, they will lift the badly locked 10 year old Spec Rockhopper before they even look at yours.

mjsmke

No way. Not just the risk of it getting stolen but some numpty might rest their bike against it scratching it. I work in a college so only ride my new bike in during half terms. Its sitting in the corner of my classroom right now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

One size up and I might be bidding on that 🙂

Depends on how secure you think it is at work. Office in the middle of town with loads of passers by, no way. Office on a nuclear research facility with armed guards and cameras everywhere then I’d not worry (a mate works on one and happily leaves his bike there!)

v8ninety

Just nope. Even if it was safe/secure/actually not that nickable, I’d be constantly worried about it and would be less useful at work as a result…

njee20
    Free Member

1. its not worth £3k. It is worth what you paid for it, or more to the point, what a thief could get for it. So that’s £50.

Eh? Surely the relevant point is the replacement cost in this context, ie £3k. If I nick your bike and sell it for 20p, that doesn’t somehow alter the value of your bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What everyone else said.

You don’t need the biking equivalent of a Ferrari for commuting! You want mud guards, a tough frame, and cheap/easy servicing. Find an old singlespeed (kona unit, Swift, El-mariachi, karate monkey, etc) on ebay.

Having said that I just ride whatever’s functional in the shed, usually the Fatty. But then it get’s locked to a stand, in a cage, in an underground car park, in an out of town building.

Dobbo

Can you tell me where you work and what hours you do please?

v8ninety

That Look is beautiful though, isn’t it. Buy that and just hitch to work instead…

v8ninety

OP; you are owner of said eBay bike and you have come up with a clever way of getting it looked at by a load of middle class IT pros who like bikes and have more money than sense; Chapeau sir! Are you in marketing? (And I claim my five pounds) 😉

scandal42
    Free Member

Eh? Surely the relevant point is the replacement cost in this context, ie £3k. If I nick your bike and sell it for 20p, that doesn’t somehow alter the value of your bike.

Unless he buys it back off the thief, in which case he’s spot on.

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t need the biking equivalent of a Ferrari for commuting! You want mud guards, a tough frame, and cheap/easy servicing. Find an old singlespeed (kona unit, Swift, El-mariachi, karate monkey, etc) on ebay.

Meh, that depends. The bulk of my riding time is spent commuting. I don’t need to carry anything (laptop left in the office, mrs njee20 brings clean shirts in for me). So why would I want to slog back and forward on a heavy bike that’s not nice to ride?

As mentioned, security here seems alright, so it’s not really at risk, if it got nicked then it’s insured.

I just don’t really subscribe to the “commuting must mean a shit bike” philosophy! I want to be able to detour home via the Surrey Hills or whatever, I don’t want to be doing that on a steel SS when I could ride a nice carbon road bike.

Definitely specific to each use case though, and I think only the OP can decide if his facilities are secure enough and if he can ‘afford’ it to be stolen.

seosamh77
    Free Member

If you want your bike to get nicked, chain it up in a town centre! 😆

Dobbo

Ignore!!

liamhutch89
    Free Member

Some of the expensive and most secure locks claim the only way of breaking them are with an angle grinder. If this is true I’d be happy leaving an expensive bike locked up in a busy place with that.

Drac

No I’d put it in the garage.

TiRed

Not a chance! And I work in a totally secure site. My commuting bike sits unlocked on a bike rack. But my nice race bike sits under my desk in the office. Front wheel off and it slides quite a way under and takes little room.

Security did “enquire” once – sent two guards as they were expecting trouble, clearly. Used the health and safety, fire hazard, blah… I said that a previous £2K bike had been damaged by a car and I was happy to leave my commuting bike outside, but not the best bike. Then I mentioned it was no more a fire hazard than if i’d slipped out of my wheelchair and into an office Aeron. Low, I know, buit I thought reasonable. And I’m a fire warden!

Anyway, I’ve never heard back from them 😉

So take it into work, or take something worth 10% of the price.

marcus
    Free Member

I would – probaly would’nt even lock it up. But I do work from an office at the end of my garden 🙂

woodster

If it doesn’t get nicked, it’ll get beaten up by idiots with other bikes and you’ll be forever worried you’ll come out to a cut lock.

Get something unassuming with the minimum of logos and no parts you’d cry over if they broke/got nicked.

ahsat

I work on a University campus, and I certainly dont leave my Rose DX Cross outside! Despite the protest of the cleaners (even though its clean!). Luckily the guy who is in charge of such things also doesnt leave his outside either!! Only will consider it once we get some proper secure storage.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I leave my Wilier in the bike shed at work, but some of our security people (CNC Police) carry machine guns and side arms. 😕

HansRey

i’ve thought about it many times. I ended up getting a tricross (with rack, marathons and mudguards) for commuting and romantic rides in the forests with the mrs.

cookeaa

This is a good part of the reason why I ride a cheap, ugly fixie to work, No great loss to me if it’s stolen, it would be a bit of an inconvenience but better than losing a pricey bike…

I can chop along quite happily on it, but I’d imagine any would be tea-leaf stupid enough to make off with it, would struggle with the lack of a FW and would either crash or ditch it after a few hundred yards anyway…

OP Don’t ride your fancy bike to work and leave it on display in the town centre, it might take a day it might take a year, but sooner or later someone will take an interest in it… buy a junker and keep the bling for weekends.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Would you leave a £3k bike chained up outside your work?’ is closed to new replies.