Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Would you jump in?
  • McHamish
    Free Member

Baby Blown into Marina

I would if it happened in front of me, but I’m not a very good swimmer.

I suspect I’d be one of those headlines “useless wannabe hero drowns saving boy”…

I can’t imagine thinking that it looks too dangerous so I’ll just watch the baby drown while we wait for someone brave to turn up.

DrP

100% without a doubt.

DrP – competitive swimmer and water polo player, and wannabe baby rescuer..

Jamie
    Free Member

Like to think I would. Worry I probably wouldn’t.

…after all. Who’s going to replace my now water damaged iPhone? 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

Id be straight in there.

Does no one remember the Peugeot advert? Heroism = babe magnetism!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LENbh_560s[/video]

wolfenstein
    Free Member

For those who doesnt know how to swim at all? Do we get valid excuse not to rescue in the event like this? (Just asking, i would still yell HELP in moment like this though, best i can do)

flyingmonkeycorps

Probably not, I can’t swim.

Dibbs
    Free Member

100% without a doubt.

DrP – competitive swimmer and water polo player, and wannabe baby rescuer..

Not been to Watchet Harbour (Marina makes it sound cleaner) then 😆
    Takes a VERY brake man to jump in there.

trout
    Free Member

yes would be straight in and thankful for the extra lard I am carrying at the moment

joao3v16
    Free Member

It’s a good thing that the Dock Master was one of the ‘older’ generation … if he’d been under 25 he’d have been too busy tweeting about it and filming it all on his iPhone …

McHamish
    Free Member

Probably not, I can’t swim.

But you’d have something to show ladies…”yeah I jumped in and saved the baby…I can’t even swim. Yes, that’s right, I’m that awesome”.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d shove the woman in for being so stupid as to let her push chair be “blown” into the damn water.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s a good thing that the Dock Master was one of the ‘older’ generation … if he’d been under 25 he’d have been too busy tweeting about it and filming it all on his iPhone …

I remember when this was all fields…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the ‘jump’

Off a tall harbour wall, at half tide, into somewhere I don’t know? Not a chance, it’d end in “man breaks legs on shallow rocks/impales self on wreck trying to rescue empty pushchair”.

Just about any other situation, probably (and find a ladder/rope to climb down in the other case).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

When the report says fisherman, that is the guys occupation right?

If so, that’ll explain it …. Fisherman are nails.

Floaty nails mind

elzorillo
    Free Member

I know I would.. Jumped into many situations in the past without thinking first. I just would.

As a teen, came across a man actually strangling another semi concious man on the floor.. jumped on his back.. saved man!

Bit older.. driving along, came across cottage on fire in countryside.. flames shooting out the chimney.. ran into smoke filled room and pulled old bloke out who was overcome by smoke.

bit older still.. walking down the highstreet carrying my shopping.. a madman had pulled a knife on this other bloke.. dropped shopping and jumped on madmans back.

Walking the dog late at night.. saved a bloke from a sever beating by knocking assailant out. He was massive too!

There are many more..

Frankly.. I’m just fking stupid.

Jamie
    Free Member

Frankly.. I’m just fking stupid.

…and a bit of a Jonah 8)

bigblackshed

As a member of the RLSS and a lifesaving teacher, yes, in I go.

*Then give the mother a metaphorical slap for being stupid and not using the brakes on the pushchair. 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Yes – but then whilst I’m not a competitive swimmer as such I did many years ago hold RLSS Distinction (the highest RLSS qualification), so ought to know what I’m doing. I can understand the reluctance of anybody who’s even a poor swimmer – one of the important things we were always taught was not to become the second victim (hence you only jump in as a last resort – first you reach, throw etc. – though clearly in this case swimming was the only option). If you are a poor swimmer – and certainly if you’re a non-swimmer – then you may well be better to raise the alarm with somebody who is a strong enough swimmer to be able to carry out the rescue successfully.

kristoff
    Free Member

I’d jump in. I’m a reasonably strong swimmer and at the very least I could keep the little one above water until proper help arrived.

Too many people these days happy to just point and say oooo look isn’t that parent silly for not watching etc

I’m sure anyone in the aftermath would rather be able to say they helped in some way rather than saying I saw a child drown/get injured.

DrP

Not been to Watchet Harbour (Marina makes it sound cleaner) then

Hmm.
    I’ve jumped in worse. Very stupidly I larked about in the river Kwai several years ago.
    To say it’s a very pretty sewer channel is an understatement.

DrP – hopes he doesn’t have Hepatitis….

Torminalis
    Free Member

Would you ever be able to forgive yourself if you didn’t try?

Jamie
    Free Member

Too many people these days happy to just point and say oooo look isn’t that parent silly for not watching etc

True, but it is also a known psychological phenomenon:

The bystander effect or Genovese syndrome is a social psychological phenomenon that refers to cases where individuals do not offer any means of help in an emergency situation to the victim when other people are present. The probability of help has often appeared to be inversely related to the number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. The mere presence of other bystanders greatly decreases intervention. In general, this is believed to happen because as the number of bystanders increases, any given bystander is less likely to notice the situation, interpret the incident as a problem, and less likely to assume responsibility for taking action

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

elzorillo
    Free Member

…and a bit of a Jonah

aracer
    Free Member

Not been to Watchet Harbour (Marina makes it sound cleaner) then

Are you suggesting water quality issues? Doesn’t take a lot of bravery to ignore that in such circumstances – sure you might be ill for a day or so, but just how important is that in the context? The bigger issue might be water temperature at the moment, but from personal experience in such situations you tend not to notice that either.

Jamie
    Free Member

A “Jonah” is a long-established expression among sailors, meaning a person (either a sailor or a passenger) who is bad luck, which is based on the Biblical prophet Jonah . The comic character Jonah’s name is a direct reference to the long established sailor’s superstition.

Source

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

For a person yes, but not for a pet.

flyingmonkeycorps

McHamish – Member
    “Probably not, I can’t swim.”
    But you’d have something to show ladies…”yeah I jumped in and saved the baby…I can’t even swim. Yes, that’s right, I’m that awesome”.

The ladies in the hospital if I was lucky enough to get rescued too? Or the other bodies in the morgue? 😉

aracer
    Free Member

For a person yes, but not for a pet.

For a pet is just daft. Plenty of people have died trying to save their pets whilst the pet has saved itself.

mogrim

I’d jump in, I’m a pretty good swimmer and I don’t think I could live with myself if I didn’t try. I’m also guessing if it’s a marina there shouldn’t be any hidden rocks or the like.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Way too much H&S red tape to even consider rescuing the water baby 😉

jamj1974

Yes I would

bruders338
    Free Member

I dont think your be human if you just watched… i would be in straight away.

like someone said about filming on an iphone or something. if i saw that i would throw that **** in and see how they like it..

i’m only 26 and i like to believe i have old school way of life (if you know what i mean).

for example that helicopter crash that happened not so long ago.. how many low life got there phone out to film it.. its sick people need to think about how they would feel and not how much they can make from someone else misfortune

sorry for the rant

gonefishin
    Free Member

I must be missing something in that story but why didn’t the mother go in after her own child?

timbur
    Free Member

I’d be straight in.
    Scared the wife once by running towards a burning house to help people get out. Ended up shouting at the owner who was busy trying to get his garden hose working to try and put it out whilst the flames were getting higher. By that time you could hear the fire engines coming.

There’s time for thinking and time for doing. That said there’s always an automatic calculation of whats “sensible.” No point getting involved if you can’t help.

psling
    Free Member

I’d have thrown in a pair of pyjama bottoms.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a good thing that the Dock Master was one of the ‘older’ generation … if he’d been under 25 he’d have been too busy tweeting about it and filming it all on his iPhone .

Programme on telly about the 2009 snow the other day. It was a crap programme, but there was a bit about some teenage girls who were sledging down a hill with a river right at the bottom in a little gorge. One sledged right into the river (of course) dislodged a tree which then fell and pinned her to the river bed *underwater*.

Who leapt in and rescued her within seconds? Two 14 year old boys.

To the OP – I think I probably would have gone in yes. Not afraid of water at all, and I’ve spent quite a bit of time playing that scenario through in my head after towing my kid along canal towpaths in a bike trailer…

DezB
    Free Member

I must be missing something in that story but why didn’t the mother go in after her own child?

See jamie’s post regarding The bystander effect or Genovese syndrome.
    Or my theory that she was an idiot.

hels
    Free Member

Dunno – I can swim well enough but I am a right bossy cow, so would probably throw somebody else in while I dialled 999 and looked for a life preserver or similar floatation device.

aracer
    Free Member

😆 @ psling

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Hope I would.
    My grandfather dived off the pier into stormy seas in Blackpool to rescue a dog.
    He got medals and all sorts of stuff.
    I’d like to think I could live up to that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Would you jump in?’ is closed to new replies.