• This topic has 82 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by daern.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • would you? (interfering bastard content).
  • ton

if you were riding in a local charity mtb event, on a sunday morning, and came across a older couple out pottering on their bikes, coming in the opposite direction, would you start telling them that they should be wearing helmets?

or would you keep thoughts to yourself and carry on riding the charity event you had entered.

scotroutes

I can imagine that the “charity” rider might think the other two were somehow linked to the event and I can imagine that the event rules might dictate the use of a helmet.

I doubt I’d start a thread on a forum seeking confirmation of my opinion though.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If some random stranger told me to wear a helmet they’d get an earful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

depends hypothetically what you had for breakfast and if this is a soul searching question about yourself or something about somebody you saw out there….

Murray

I’d keep my thoughts to myself. There is no compulsion to wear helmets and they’re adults.

aracer
    Free Member

Well personally I wouldn’t ever tell anybody that they should be wearing a helmet in any situation where it didn’t seem necessary – I hope that helps 😉

somafunk

Seeing as i rarely wear a helmet i doubt i’d raise the issue, i’d be more likely to raise a fist and shout “solidarity brothers – ride free”

Klunk
    Free Member

I’d stuck a stick in their front wheels then lectured them about putting undue strain on the nhs 8)

martinhutch

I imagine the interfering bastard in question pedalled off sharpish before Ton had the opportunity to point out the error of his ways.

Phil_H

Nope.
    No requirement to wear a helmet to go out for a ride on your own.
    Riding in an organised group however may require on as part of the RA.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If some random stranger told me to wear a helmet they’d get an earful.

Yep, me too

curto80
    Free Member

This is the second thread on this shyte this weekend

When did STW get taken over by Audi driving mid50s Brexit voting winkers?

slowoldman

Brexit voting? When did that happen?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Years and years ago……

scud
    Free Member

I’m a strict believer that it’s better to be riding a bike and getting some form of exercise than making helmets compulsory.

I always wear a helmet except the odd beach ride on fat bike on sand, they are so light now, but it’s not my place to start lecturing others especially if they just enjoying a quiet bimble

thejesmonddingo

Ooh,has there been a coup? Have the usual culprits finally managed to take over,having persuaded everyone that they don’t need to explain their gnomic statements,as they are financial gnomes themselves?

downhillfast
    Free Member

Wearing a helmet is a choice, so it’s up to them.
    I’d just wave and say “hello” to a couple of fellow bike riders.
    Perhaps the charity bike rider would start berating others for not having both hands on the bars as well?

thejesmonddingo

And ton,if you and Mrs ton don’t want to wear helmets,that’s your decision,and interfering busybodies may need an explanation of the benefits of fist pie 😆

colournoise

Should they have been wearing one of these?

Daffy

Their head, their choice, their problem when it goes wrong. Absolutely nothing to do with me.

shermer75
    Free Member

Only if I wanted to show the world how much I hate myself

imnotverygood

It wouldn’t bother me either way.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Crikey, brexit being introduced into a thread about helmets? what a surprise. (actually it isnt for this place)

martinhutch

Sounds like UKIP are sorted for their new slogan.

‘Helmets for Brexit’

boxelder

Were you riding near Keswick yesterday by any chance Ton – thought I saw you (with helmet)?

ton

Were you riding near Keswick yesterday by any chance Ton – thought I saw you (with helmet)?

no mate. on the TPT near home.

i nearly lost my temper and went after the bloke to ask him why he had made the comment.
    my good lady talked sense into me.

i just cant understand why some people cant keep their thoughts to themselves. wtf has it got to do with anyone else what someone else does or does not wear or do?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rise above it mate, you did the right thing. There’s dicks everywhere, even on here, allegedly…. :mrgreen:

zanelad
    Free Member

Why should they be wearing helmets? Are they not old enough to decide for themselves?

Are they not allowed to have a different opinion from you?

BruceWee

Personally, I would stop every member of the charity ride and explain to them that by wearing helmets they were contributing to the myth that cycling is such a dangerous activity when compared to walking or driving that it requires a helmet.

I would berate them for discouraging people from cycling despite all the evidence that cycling increases your life expectancy in the face of the data showing that making helmets compulsory, as in Australia, reduces cycling numbers and even encouraging people to wear helmets, as in Denmark in 2008, reduces the number of cyclists.

I was a bit busy this weekend unfortunately.

piemonster

I think I’d struggle to care enough that a response would be formulated, let alone voiced.

OCB
    Free Member

I have been known to shout a friendly word of advice to commuters riding in the dark, with no lights, and wearing nothing to reflect any other lights, but helmets, nah – up to them.

The only time the helmet thing slightly bristles is when I see adults without helmets, riding with kids who are wearing a helmet. I absolutely get the free choice thing, but wonder what kinda example it sets when you are out with the kids? Still don’t say anything tho’, I just tut under my breath in a very understated English kinda way and ride on (often whilst not wearing my helmet).

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Have to say I’m with you OCB, but it really boils my urine when I see the kids riding with lids on and Dads is hanging off the bars.

IdleJon

but it really boils my urine when I see the kids riding with lids on and Dads is hanging off the bars.

Why?

falkirk-mark

I think the reply ton should have been, should we aye (whilst cycling on)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Personal choice innit? The only time I’ve ever questioned anyone was at Glentress years ago. I said to a guy, ‘your’e brave, riding without a lid’ & he said, well I’ve come off twice here & broken 2 helmets so I’ve stopped wearing them anymore’
    True story.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why should they be wearing helmets? Are they not old enough to decide for themselves?

Are they not allowed to have a different opinion from you?

I think you may need to read the OP again….

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m a roadie. I don’t even acknowledge other cyclists, much less comment upon or listen to their thoughts on my attire.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

if you were riding in a local charity mtb event, on a sunday morning, and came across a older couple out pottering on their bikes, coming in the opposite direction, would you start telling them that they should be wearing helmets?

No why would you do that?
    Probably wave to them and shout hello

I did a hard road ride with a mate last weekend and decided to leave the helmet behind. Love riding without one. He texted me today, jokingly telling me not to do it again!!!

Helmet gestapo 😉

weeksy

I think I’d struggle to care enough that a response would be formulated, let alone voiced.

This 100%

I wouldn’t have given it a seconds thought

dannyh
    Free Member

Assuming the OP is talking about someone he doesn’t know who happens to be riding in the same event as him having a word with two other people he doesn’t know, I’m amazed he gives a shit.

Starting a thread about it as well?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘would you? (interfering bastard content).’ is closed to new replies.