• This topic has 125 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Would you hand your kids over to the police?
  • D0NK

How long on the naughty step for a 42″ Plasma?

well it’s 6months for aldi water so about 15 years I guess.
    shakes head at PnM

PiknMix
    Free Member

D0NK – Member
    shakes head at PnM

shake away sunshine 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

i’d shop them, mainly because I reckon my parenting skills must be questionable and need reinforcement by the law.

D0NK

just wondering how old you are pik n mix, previous posts suggest (to me anyway) hopelessly naive “dissaffected” yoof, last one sounds more old man ish.

piha
    Free Member

Question for P&M – if a close family member or friend was raped and murdered, would you want help from the police to help solve the crime?

D0NK

Presumably he’d want the police to find the culprits but wouldn’t want or expect help from the public.

I was going to suggest a less emotive scenario, you don’t need extreme examples to make a point.

RichPenny
    Free Member

What about if your child got in a fight at school. Would you demand that they were charged with assault?

I’d also like to ask the guy whose parentso reported him for shoplifting if he’d feel the same way if he’d spent 6 months up in prison?

PiknMix
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

just wondering how old you are pik n mix, previous posts suggest (to me anyway) hopelessly naive “dissaffected” yoof, last one sounds more old man ish.

My age is irrelevant, I can appreciate that my anti police views may make me seem to be part of the disaffected youth however in reality its down to several experiences with bent and wholly untrustworthy police officerscriminals, some of whom tried to ruin my life.

D0NK – Member

Presumably he’d want the police to find the culprits but wouldn’t want or expect help from the public.

Nope, society I have no problem with, I am a very sociable thing it is just the police I have issues with.

I was going to suggest a less emotive scenario, you don’t need extreme examples to make a point.

piha – Member

Question for P&M – if a close family member or friend was raped and murdered, would you want help from the police to help solve the crime?

I was waiting for this question.

Nope I would sort it out myself.

toys19
    Free Member

I was waiting for this question.
    Nope I would sort it out myself.

You would still want help from the police, to help you find the person responsible and to be sure it was the right person you were exacting your retribution on..

PiknMix
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    You would still want help from the police, to help you find the person responsible and to be sure it was the right person you were exacting your retribution on..

would I?

anywho this has slightly gone OT (my fault, sorry)

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Think atlaz – Member hit it on the head for me …

that he’d struggle to explain to anyone else why he was arresting their kids if he failed to apply an even hand.

If it was the neighbours / folks over the back fence / bunch of people walking along the footpath and they were obviously walking around with the ill gotten gains, then yes I would report them.

More so as a business owner, just because it wasn’t be my stuff this time … it still belongs to someone.

And to me, that standard should be applied to anyone, wether I know them / are related to them or not.

But as a caveat, id certainly be giving them the opportunity to behave responsibly first (i.e. … turn themselves in)

atlaz
    Free Member

So for the people who wouldn’t turn their kids in (or have them do it themselves), how serious would the crime need to be before you reached the limit. If burning down shops and stealing isn’t serious enough, what level? Is there even a level or is the “blood is thicker than water” thing enough to excuse far more serious crimes?

toys19
    Free Member

atlaz. I dunno, I only considered the op, in relation to my as yet innocent 4 year old and 1.5 year old. I think it’s all too complex to answer accurately until you are there with your kid, you can be all black and white about it but that’s just not reality.

Your turn to answer: Have you got kids?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Disclaimer: I don’t have any kids.

But I agree with toys19…it’s just not as black and white as people are making out. The “how serious…” question is devoid of context – I’d even consider not turning someone in for manslaughter if I thought there were extenuating circumstances that would never come to light in a trial.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DD valves and logos not lined up or something EVEN more serious?
    For most of us who are not black and white on this issue the honest answer is it all depends.
    Take a tv might let it go but with huge consequences

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

JY, did you scan everything since “work called”? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

No 😳
    Should I edit?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nooo…I was taking the micky but I think you’d gone… 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t have kids so reasonably I may change my mind I suppose. However, as said before, I was raised in a manner that seemed to work out okay for me so I’m hoping that it might work for Atlaz Jr

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d even consider not turning someone in for manslaughter if I thought there were extenuating circumstances that would never come to light in a trial

Really? Wow. 😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

Would I complain if Junkyard did? No, probably not either. But I’d give him a hiding and shop him for being morally suspect.

wont catch me with that pathetic 18 mph average PAH
    Worth a read for the cruelty humour NB never show weakness on the internet NOW pretend you can laugh at yourself or the bastards will get worse

Edric64
    Free Member

Yes I would hand my kids in

How about compulsory sterilization of the guilty then there wont be another generation of immoral feckless scum?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Really? Wow.

Yes, really…they’d have to be a hell of a set of extenuating circumstances…but I can’t see it as that black and white.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How about compulsory sterilization of the guilty then there wont be another generation of immoral feckless scum?

yes what loving parent would not hand their child in for sterilization …could you be over reacting ?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Theft of water or theft of tv from same shop carries maximum of 6 months so they will get the same unless they elect to send it up to the crown court then bigger sentencing power.

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t have kids so reasonably I may change my mind I suppose. However, as said before, I was raised in a manner that seemed to work out okay for me so I’m hoping that it might work for Atlaz Jr

Ah well therein lies the rub – yes you might change, but ,more importantly you like most of us on here cannot imagine that you would raise kids who would do such a thing. But even as a 40 year old adult I can see how easily one could get a but caught up and possibly naff off with a bottle of water at 3am if no one was looking. (I wouldn’t but I can see how easy it is) so I defo would not shop my (so far innocent) child because the law has gone bonkers in screwing these people over.

toys19
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Member
    Theft of water or theft of tv from same shop carries maximum of 6 months so they will get the same unless they elect to send it up to the crown court then bigger sentencing power

Yes this sounds ideal. But this has proven to be bollox hasn’t it, in the same court building on the same day in different rooms one judge was doing six month hand outs whilst the other was doing 2 weeks, or non custodial sentences . I’ll find the link..

whimbrel
    Free Member

yossarian
    My kids will grow up just fine, without fear and with a moral code that places family at its heart

Mafia?

Junkyard
    Free Member

if he refuses to answer I think you may be on to something

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh toys you don’t need to find the link I know full well how random the sentencing is in courts!!!!!!!

j_me
    Free Member

Yes but i’d grass yours in first, luv

samuri
    Free Member

Nah. He wouldn’t commit the crime, brought up properly you see.

If it was something serious then yes, especially if it affected an individual. If you don’t shop your kids, you’re endorsing their actions
    With that siort of attitude it’s no wonder they became a jitterbug.

astrid
    Free Member

WOULD YOU SHOP YOUR CHILD TO THE POLICE/SHOPPING YOUR CHILD TO THE POLICE IS WRONG AND UNNATURAL

Dear Editor and readers,

To my opinion it is an unnatural act, that parents shop their child to the police

The duty of parents is to protect their children and not to shop them to the police, thus destroying the children’s chance on a good career and future

It is also destroying the trust and good relatiion between parents and children
    Because if children can’t count on the natural protection, to whom they can turn?

Of course this does NOT mean, that parents agree with criminal facts of their children, because they also have the duty to correct and punish, sometimes sternly, if needed
    And it also depends, of course, on the suspected crime
    When there is possible murder involved, there is a different story, although even in that case I prefer that parents stmulate their children to go to the police themselves

The riots:

In case of the riots I think it’s pure nonsense to shop ones children to the police
    Looting and burning is not acceptable, but let’s remind the fact, that the whole thing started by the police shooting of a black man, not the first time, but almost ”common” since the eighties of the former century, without proper punishment of the policemen involved

Also the social injustice is a cause to the riots

See also

Riots in England/Uprising of the unheard

http://www.phillyimc.org/en/riots-englanduprising-unheard

And besides that, the punishments for some looting were extremely hard
    Will parents, who love their children, do that to them?

No, parents love means protecting the child and punish or correcting the child themselves, not to betray them to the police

Kind greetings

Astrid Essed

Human rights activist and a mother of two
    Amsterdam
    The Netherlands

pilgrim
    Free Member

I’d even consider not turning someone in for manslaughter if I thought there were extenuating circumstances that would never come to light in a trial

Then you are everything that’s wrong with society now. Enlighten us as to what those ‘extenuating circumstances’ might possibly be? Cimon, give us an example…

Astrid; you, lady, are a clown. And you fail your children with your weak attitude. What will your kids do when you’re not there, eh? #settingthemuptofail…

yossarian
    Free Member

Quality first post Astrid!

phil.w
    Free Member

In case of the riots I think it’s pure nonsense to shop ones children to the police.
    Astrid Essed
    Human rights activist

What about the rights of the victims, the shopkeepers, they have a right to see the perpetrators of crimes against them held to account. If parents don’t hand in their kids then potentially this is not going to happen.

Not exactly standing up for human rights is it.

loum
    Free Member

I admit I have not read every post on this thread and appologise if my point has already been raised.
    Further up the thread there is talk of taking a decision based on the severity of the incident, and also the parents’ frame of refference concerning right and wrong.
    Would it not also be appropriate to consider the severity of the system’s response, and whether this is appropriate too?
    For example, if we were in another country with punishments such as the removal of a hand for stealing, or even the death penalty, then surely this would influence the decision of any parent before “handing over your kids”.
    In the case of the riots and looting, surely the disproportionate sentencing already occuring would sway any parent towards protecting their children.

wwaswas

Human rights activist

But not the human rights of the victims to compensation and seeing those who have wronged them being punished, clearly.

wwaswas
    willing to accept that people should face the consequences of their actions and father of two.

deluded
    Free Member

Obvious troll & utter bollox.

wwaswas

I just had a look at the link Astrid posted.

If I were her child I’d hand myself in.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Would you hand your kids over to the police?’ is closed to new replies.