• This topic has 125 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Would you hand your kids over to the police?
  • yossarian
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14516137

Well would you?

There is no way I would, no way at all

Whatever my kids do or could do I could not shop them to the police. I might advise them to turn themselves in and get legal advice first etc but blood is thicker than water, no?

donsimon
    Free Member

but blood is thicker than water, no?

Nice theory.

ton

yes i would.

philconsequence
    Free Member

my mum handed me into the police when i was about 6 after i stole a marble from a toyshop, the guilt took over and i admitted it to her about 3 minutes later in the highstreet. they gave me a talking to, a tour of the cells and sent me off home.

learnt my lesson.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. I’d give them the opportunity to hand themselves in first but if they didn’t I would do it.

nbt

without hesitation. and I’d shop your kids, and you for “protecting” them

Stoner
    Free Member

yep.

When I was 6 or so, my brother and I were lighting matches in the stable, then lied to Dad when he quizzed us. He got his bobby mate to come round and “interview” us. Shat ourselves.

Taught me a lesson: Dont leave evidence.

yossarian
    Free Member

what a bunch of grassing, sanctimonious, toryboys you are.

No wonder society is falling to pieces.

duffmiver
    Free Member

Hand my kids over to a bunch of rascist fascist retards, yeah right!!

ton

toryboy………….yeah right.

good old fashioned sense of right and wrong….that’s all.

yossarian
    Free Member

good old fashioned sense of right and wrong….that’s all.

so you would have handed you son over to the police back in the day if he was gay would you?

MrsToast
    Free Member

It’s a tricky one. My first reaction would be, “Hell yes, they need to learn that actions have consequences, and they deserve it”. But I would be worried about them ending up with a criminal record which could impact their career prospects for the rest of their life, or alienating them further and making it likely that they fall in even more with bad company. And plus your instinct is to protect your kids, even if it’s from their own stupidity.

Plus if I was on benefits or in social housing, I’d worry that ‘doing the right thing’ would result in financial hardship, upheaval and potential homelessness for myself and any other kids I might have. Although you could argue it’d be my own fault for raising a little git.

Fortunately I don’t have kids. Win! \o/

Harry_the_Spider

I will if he leaves one of his plastic sodding dinosaurs on the bathroom floor again for me to find barefoot at 3:00am.

ton

since when has being gay been wrong?

seosamh77
    Free Member

not a chance in hell.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Interesting the use of “grassing”. Are people who use the term criminals or just mix with criminals?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Depends if they’d committed a crime or not.

yossarian
    Free Member

since when has being gay been wrong?

it was illegal until the late 60s in england and i think until the late 70’s in scotland.

As a bastion of ‘a good old fashioned sense of right and wrong’ which I guessing means the law, I assume you’d have shopped your kid. Would you?

Junkyard
    Free Member

We all know you think that grassing is wrong and that we should all turn a blind eye to all crimes lest we be a grass who are obviously more scummy than criminals 🙄
    Why did you start this? Hoping you could call everyone a hypocrite …it’s not going well is it
    Oh nice use of emotive topics and gays there
    What if it was the war and my gay child was a Nazi sympathiser alone with a swan?

wrecker
    Free Member

Yep. If you can’t do the time etc……
    If they were protesting about something they believe in then probably not but plain old breaking and entering? Definately. If a parent has not been able to teach their kids morals then it’s only fair that the police be given a chance to.
    Yoss, what if you believed your kid had killed or raped someone?

GrahamS

so you would have handed you son over to the police back in the day if he was gay would you?

No, because that doesn’t violate MY OWN sense of right and wrong (regardless of what the law used to say).

Looting a shop does though.

Fairly massive difference IMO.

D0NK

quite probably, looting hell yes, non-crime as per your gay example probably wouldn’t.

but as Graham said it’s our own sense of what is really right and wrong and by the sounds of it some think looting is fine and dandy so it all goes a bit pear shaped there I’ll admit.

binners

I’ll be honest with you, it depends on which one of them it was. If it was the black one he’d be straight down the station. His behavior some of the time? Honestly. I sometimes wonder if he’s actually mine

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Stw. Handing in looters, to locking up homosexuals in about 6 posts. Mint!

crankboy
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t know as a general principle , I do think it would depend on the nature of the offence .

Riot or theft /burglary during the riot definitely, yes.

Assaulting a PC during a student demo, yes

taking part in a demo that the police deemed unlawful, no

acting on being gay when those acts were illegal , no and would actively try everything to frustrate any prosecution

speeding ?drink drive ? no

I’m actually sure i would apply my own twisted judgement as to how grave an offence he had committed . Any way he is only 18 days old so i should have a while to get a more moral stance.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yes – unless the offence was really trivial and they showed remorse and a willingness to change.

I’d take the view that them having committed the crime showed I’d failed as a parent, and that external sanctions were needed to change their behaviour.

Markie
    Free Member

I think one thing likely to deter anyone (in a council house) from handing their child in for looting – or even encouraging their child to confess – is having a system whereby if your child is convicted of looting then you lose your home.

Right, back to the madness…

D0NK

is having a system whereby if your child is convicted of looting then you lose your home.

is this actually happening? I thought it was political posturing.

nmdbase
    Free Member

yep

ton

yossarien…………i would not ‘grass’ my son up for being gay………even if it was 1950…cos it aint wrong.
    i would drag my son to the police station if he had been one of the looters…..cos it is wrong.

GrahamS

having a system whereby if your child is convicted of looting then you lose your home.

Yeah but all that happens is you lose your home, you declare yourself homeless and the council are legally obliged to find you a home again. 🙂

binners

Donk – the first legal proceedings to evict people have started already. Like most of the really-well-thought-through policies presently being proposed by foaming right wing nutters, I’m sure it’ll help matters enormously

I mean, what could possibly go wrong? 🙄

toys19
    Free Member

I wouldn’t for looting, despite knowing it’s wrong…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

No wonder society is falling to pieces…

A society breakdown is the fault of folk who would hand their kids to the police for breaking the law?

It’s a topsy-turvy world in which we live. Or you do, at least.

timc
    Free Member

yossarian – Member

This is the point at which you lost all credability 🙄

toys19
    Free Member

Donk – the first legal proceedings to evict people have started already.

Whilst proceedings have started there is no guarantee they will succeed. Indeed I’m convinced they won’t, if they do, I might just have a fit…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not for looting…I’d kick the shit out of him for doing it though and make him return the goods (with a hoodie and mask to disguise himself of course).

emma82
    Free Member

Whatever my kids do or could do I could not shop them to the police

Seriously?? What if it was murder or child abuse or mass drug production/selling. What if you were the parent of one of the boys who murdered Jamie Bulger or it was your son or daughter that kidnapped Madaliene Mcann? Would you ‘shop’ them then?

and before you say ‘but looting is not as serious as any of the above’, do you think the families of the three that were murdered during the looting activity/the woman who had to jump from the floor of a burning building/the family of the man attacked who died yesterday think ‘oh well it’s just because of the looting, can’t be helped?’. People have lost their lives, their livlihood, will lose their homes etc because of this.

If it was one of mine they’d be straight down the nick.

If you don’t report them to the police but you know what they did, you are just as responsible. End of.

yossarian
    Free Member

you and your memory junkyard 🙂

We all know you think that grassing is wrong and that we should all turn a blind eye to all crimes lest we be a grass who are obviously more scummy than criminals

dont recall actually saying that – are you quoting me directly or making it up?

Why did you start this? Hoping you could call everyone a hypocrite …it’s not going well is it

I started it because i thought it would be an interesting topic, and because I was wondering if there would be a correlation between those advocating the use of extreme force during the riots last week and handing your kids into the police. You ought to know by now that I’m not at all interested in being in the majority opinion.

Oh nice use of emotive topics and gays there
    What if it was the war and my gay child was a Nazi sympathiser alone with a swan?

with a swan? dirty bastard. Its a good question, which leads onto others….

Pyro

Yup. My parents did with me (short-lived kleptomaniacal phase in my teenage years, given a very stern interview and a slapped wrist but no record) and were I in the same position as a parent, my (currently hypothetical) kids would get the same treatment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Would you hand your kids over to the police?’ is closed to new replies.