Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Would you grass up a drink driver?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Just reported a customer to the police (non emergency number) for reeking of booze.
    Will be interesting if he gets back to me as he was a big bloke.
    Not sure how seriously they take these reports…

jekkyl

yup. unless it was someone I knew well enough to take their keys off and tell them they’re not driving, like my brother or good friend.

Robz
    Free Member

I would have phoned 999 as I wouldn’t want them on the road.

Well done.

stevie750

Yes.

was in a pub once and there was a couple who where totally pissed, had a hard time sitting on a bar stool. I left and then they left just afterwards and got into a car and drove off. Called 999 straight away.

tomd
    Free Member

Called an old boy in last week. Swerving all over the road in a big jag. Driving 30 down a national speed limit road and veered towards me when I overtook so i had to slam the brakes on and swerve (I think he got a shock seeing something in his peripheral vision). A mile further on he nearly hit an oncoming car as he had a massive twitch as the oncoming vehicle presumable caught his attention.

Saw where he parked it up and which house he went into and called it in. No hesitation from me, terrifying to think if he would have seen any cyclists or pedestrians on the road. The police paid him a visit, not sure what happened. It would be bad for him if he lost his license as he lived in the middle of no where but he nearly caused 2 accidents in 3 miles of driving.

ads678

Yes, well done sir.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Yes. I’ve done it before and I’d do it again without a moment’s hesitation. When I worked in bars in my 20s, I twice took keys from people to prevent them driving away. In my opinion, it should be drink or drive and the blood alcohol level should be brought down to zero.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yup, but then I’m happy enough being a snitch.

mrchrispy

in a heart beat, yes.

also called the police a number of times when I’ve cycled past cars in traffic that have been stinking of weed. nothing against smoking weed but happens quite bit and I dont really want to share the roads with people doing it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Absolutely.

I’ve personally witnessed two drivers who have driven under the influence and have reported both of them.

ThePinkster

Yes, and have done in the past.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I might tell them that I’ll grass if they drive. Or somehow confiscate their keys… but actually grass? No.

ojom
    Free Member

For sure. And I would do everything in my power to make sure they got no pudding.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Yes

bearnecessities

If I worked in an offy, probably not. That’s just good business sense.

scotroutes

Dereknightrider where are you?

surfer
    Free Member

Its only called “grassing” if you are 12.

Anyway, yes I would

Drunk driver

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yup, but have no faith plod would do anything.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A copper I know told me of a drunk driver on a main road into town in the usual midweek morning traffic. Many other drivers, a dozen or so, phoned in to report his erratic progress: when the copper got there he’d parked in the middle of a roundabout. He was this cop’s highest ever breath test at the time.

wwaswas

Dereknightrider where are you?

He’s been put out to grass…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes afraid so…

I say afraid, more afraid of the consequences..

ads678

Its only called “grassing” if you are 12.

Yeah it’s called whistle blowing if you’re an adult isn’t it………

Edric64
    Free Member

You would have to report nearly every drinker in rural pubs where drink driving is probably the norm ,not saying people are bolloxed but certainly over the limit quite often.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

How would you feel if you didn’t and they killed themselves or someone else?

ononeorange

Yes but as roger above, don’t believe for a second the plod would do anything.

More likely they would go out in a frenzy and arrest some cyclists for riding more than 2″ from the kerb.

i_like_food

Definitely. No question. What if they went on to kill someone? Or, if your still not sure you did the right thing, what if they went on to kill your son/daughter?

Well done.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Dunno why you’d think that tbh. Why wouldn’t they want an easy pull? I personally know someone who was grassed up by his missus out of spite after an argument, and can confirm that the police did lay in wait and pull him over.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I think it’s very unfair to assume that the police will not be interested in following up a potential drunk driver. I once reported a driver who I saw necking what looked like a can of Fosters at a park bench at a service station before wandering over to his car. He finished the can off in the driver’s seat. The operator took it very seriously and even called me back a couple of minutes later to check the car was in the same place. It had moved, into the airport as it happens, and within another minute or so the guy was being breathalised by a traffic officer.

ahwiles
    Free Member

why wouldn’t they want an easy pull?

That’s a bloody good question…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I get the rural aspect totally.

We used to go to “The Cider House” just outside Bridgnorth (I’m sure some of you know it, and I know it’s still there because I passed it this time last year to show MrsBOuy) anyhow’s it’s in the middle of nowhere, right out in the sticks, in the middle of nothing but farm land and a couple of lanes.. Well back in the day we used to go there a lot, cider was lethal and ultra strong and a favourite of many local to the area.. Getting there was easy enough coming home and seeing cars in hedges was.. well quite humorous.

Strange, back then I was a bit “ahh, thats funny, hope they’re alright” now I’m very much “stupid inconsiderate tossers, could’ve killed someone, etc. etc.”

singlespeedstu

The cider House is still exactly the same.
    When we go there on our bikes we always make sure we’re the last to leave.
    They can’t accidentally run us over that way. 🙄

Oh and the Special is still lethal. 8)

My third crash on the way home.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bXarUq]Too much cider.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

joolsburger
    Free Member

I did a while back the car was swerving all over the road, called 999 and they called me later to say they had stopped the driver but she wasn’t drunk but was in her 90’s. They took her license away, I felt awful.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

“Rural custom & practice” excuse is just bollocks.

It happens out here all the time, but there’s nothing to worry about when pissed up drivers are rattling about in landrovers and big pickups, what harm can they do?!?!?

teethgrinder

Why feel bad? 90 year olds can just as easily kill.

pk13

No problem doing it. And would again.

splashdown
    Free Member

Yep and with a clear conscience.

bikebouy
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    The cider House is still exactly the same.

That Sir is very reassuring news indeed..!

Ohh the memories 😆

Enjoy it, I’d buy you a pint of special if I was there.. 8)

MrGrim

The rural excuse is rubbish. I live in a fairly rural area and occasionally take the car to the pub, then walk home (with a head torch in winter) and pick the car up the next day. The walk isn’t very far after a few beers.

There used to be a pub in the Angus glens I frequented after a days walking/cycling where the local farmers had ‘pub’ cars. Old bangers with a few dents just used for driving home pished. The pub is now a bit more upmarket, so don’t know if the practice remains.

mudshark
    Free Member

was in her 90’s. They took her license away, I felt awful.

Wow, I’d have no problem with that, too many old people causing danger on the roads; Was nearly knocked off by an old lady driving on the wrong side of the road as she came up to do a right turn. I feel bad about not reporting her.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I slightly more concerned that he’ll come back and try and break my legs..
    He’ll just have quite a long walk if he’s caught though..

He had that stench of a heavy drinker / alcoholic rather than a quick lunch time glass of wine (he smelt like he’d already had a skinful)… Id be suprised if there was an officer available to investigate / chase it up right away but you never know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Would you grass up a drink driver?’ is closed to new replies.